• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who get rich and live the high life exploiting others in the name of religion.

Minister Creflo Dollar asks for $60 million in donations for a new jet - CNN.com

As a Christian, things that anger me most are people who use their position wrongly, or twist scripture to fit what they want. There's a large popular group who do something called the "prosperity gospel". The False Promise of the Prosperity Gospel: Why I Called Out Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer|Pastor Rick Henderson <this guy roasts them. Agree with majority of it. Turns it into some sort of "well, clearly if you're poor it's because you're not good enough for God to give you something." Blah. I went to a (mega)church as a kid...and they had BIG grounds, facilities, etc. It was all very usable space, in good condition, could house the members easily. But for some reason they felt the need to build a new hall (including fellowship hall, gym, classrooms, the works), thus began their money drive. There were a LOT of wealthy people in this church, so they were campaigning hard for donations. Every week...everrrry week it was discussed hard core. Then after months they had this big reveal (I think it was Easter :L) to show the millions they had raised. I was like 13 and I was done with that place. I'm not against having nice facilities, because they can be used for good reasons, but when you already have nice facilities and you spend millions on unnecessary things? That doesn't sit well with me. Anyway, there's my money/religion rant!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Christian, things that anger me most are people who use their position wrongly, or twist scripture to fit what they want. There's a large popular group who do something called the "prosperity gospel". The False Promise of the Prosperity Gospel: Why I Called Out Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer|Pastor Rick Henderson <this guy roasts them. Agree with majority of it. Turns it into some sort of "well, clearly if you're poor it's because you're not good enough for God to give you something." Blah. I went to a (mega)church as a kid...and they had BIG grounds, facilities, etc. It was all very usable space, in good condition, could house the members easily. But for some reason they felt the need to build a new hall (including fellowship hall, gym, classrooms, the works), thus began their money drive. There were a LOT of wealthy people in this church, so they were campaigning hard for donations. Every week...everrrry week it was discussed hard core. Then after months they had this big reveal (I think it was Easter :L) to show the millions they had raised. I was like 13 and I was done with that place. I'm not against having nice facilities, because they can be used for good reasons, but when you already have nice facilities and you spend millions on unnecessary things? That doesn't sit well with me. Anyway, there's my money/religion rant!
And there it is right there. That's a big part of what bothers me. I don't want to get into a religious argument because that's not my purpose here. What really bothers me is exactly what you say and when you see people that can barely afford food, rent, and utilities but who still feel obligated to give money that they can't afford to a church just because some con artist is telling them that they'll get rich if they simply give more money to the church.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there it is right there. That's a big part of what bothers me. I don't want to get into a religious argument because that's not my purpose here. What really bothers me is exactly what you say and when you see people that can barely afford food, rent, and utilities but who still feel obligated to give money that they can't afford to a church just because some con artist is telling them that they'll get rich if they simply give more money to the church.

Biblically speaking: when it comes to giving money it's supposed to be a percentage (10%), and it's supposed to be done as an act of trust, not in the pastor but in God. The issue is that a sad amount of pastors use these passages to guilt people into tithing under the guise that it will result in some sort of financial success (or adversely, failure). That's not true at all. The bible discusses money a LOT, and these pastors are ignoring a lot of it for their own selfish reasons. Like I said, not much angers me more (see: Bapist Church, Westboro) than twisting scripture, but I help myself to feel better by remembering that the bible also says that those who call themselves teachers of God will be held to higher standards. James 3:1 actually warns people that if they want to be a pastor, they better be ready for that. Which is for more than just money things. Anyway, I digress. There's a sad amount of false teaching out there, and there's a long history of that within the church (not to get on Catholics, but...the history is a prime example). Sometimes it's con artists from the get go, and sometimes it's simply someone who gets power hungry.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe part of it for me is now living in the Bible Belt. I didn't live here during the Jim and Tammy Fay days, but I still see so many people willing to throw money at people who are no different than them.

Or the fact that people are still giving money to Jim Bakker himself!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe part of it for me is now living in the Bible Belt. I didn't live here during the Jim and Tammy Fay days, but I still see so many people willing to throw money at people who are no different than them.

Or the fact that people are still giving money to Jim Bakker himself!

Yeah, again, anger/sadness for me. People totally missing the point of the gospel/that Jesus fella. Not gonna lie, had to google Jim Bakker, and the first article:

Disgraced televangelist now selling food for the apocalypse | Fox News

Hah, so he's a scammer on top of being an Apocalypse predictor! DOUBLE WHAMMY! Predictors are my favorite because Mark 13:32 says the angels and Jesus don't know...but yeah, God told YOU. Or it's better when they think they've cracked some non-existent code. Dude, the bible, that thing you're supposed to follow, says don't bother predicting. So stop.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I'd like to thank God for giving me the strength and ability to post here at SportsHoopla...

:D

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I'd like to thank God for giving me the strength and ability to post here at SportsHoopla...

:D
What's your angel, er, angle?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, again, anger/sadness for me. People totally missing the point of the gospel/that Jesus fella. Not gonna lie, had to google Jim Bakker, and the first article:

Disgraced televangelist now selling food for the apocalypse | Fox News

Hah, so he's a scammer on top of being an Apocalypse predictor! DOUBLE WHAMMY! Predictors are my favorite because Mark 13:32 says the angels and Jesus don't know...but yeah, God told YOU. Or it's better when they think they've cracked some non-existent code. Dude, the bible, that thing you're supposed to follow, says don't bother predicting. So stop.
Depending on which side you believe he's either an adulterer or a rapist adulterer too.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fail to see what any of this has to do with me killing Dick Vitale and winning Ashley Judd's heart.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
As a Christian, things that anger me most are people who use their position wrongly, or twist scripture to fit what they want.
Every religion does this, with whatever book they call the right one.
Sometimes it's about money, sometimes its about social structure, sometimes it's about real estate.

:bolt: