• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/rumor-has-it-apple-is-about-to-fix-the-usb-cables-most-95094527799.html

Really Apple, really!

Do you honestly think people believe that a reversible USB is the fix to their cable problems? How about using a non-proprietary cable that doesn't break every month (note if you ever see teenagers handle those things).

As the article says, there are reversible USB cables already, just not iPhone compatible.

And does anyone know why they're not really very popular? Because they break too easily.

Which is exactly what Apple wants. More broken cables = more after-market sales.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the article says, there are reversible USB cables already, just not iPhone compatible.

And does anyone know why they're not really very popular? Because they break too easily.

Which is exactly what Apple wants. More broken cables = more after-market sales.

Yeah they exist and my point was the same as yours, as what I referenced, they are cheap and done on purpose that way.

Solving their issue:
Thanks to its symmetrical design, the Lightning connector is already capable of being plugged into an iPhone or an iPad in any orientation, and now Apple is apparently addressing the other end of the cable as well.

If they honestly think this is a big deal to users they are out of touch with reality, truly only care like you said to their bottom line after market sales.

I still love the comment you get from Apple if you by a third party charging cable it can destroy your phone. Yes that is correct if done poorly (or a short in the wiring) but that holds true for any charging to device for any electronic. But they make sure to let you know that up front to try and scare you from spending less on one of the hundreds or replacement cables you will need to buy.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they exist and my point was the same as yours, as what I referenced, they are cheap and done on purpose that way.

Solving their issue:

If they honestly think this is a big deal to users they are out of touch with reality, truly only care like you said to their bottom line after market sales.

I still love the comment you get from Apple if you by a third party charging cable it can destroy your phone. Yes that is correct if done poorly (or a short in the wiring) but that holds true for any charging to device for any electronic. But they make sure to let you know that up front to try and scare you from spending less on one of the hundreds or replacement cables you will need to buy.

Cables are the biggest scam in computing/entertainment. Always have been. Those "Monster Cables" Best buy sells are, no joke, 95% profit. There is zero difference between that 50 dollar Monster HDMI and a Cables to Go.com one for 5. None.

I can buy a 1000ft box of Cat 6 cable and a box of ends to make my own network cables for the cost of 1 15ft network cable at Best Buy, Staples, etc.

But anyway, the moral of the story here is cablestogo.com or microcenter.com.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Oh yeah it always has been. And don't forget for the price of that one 15 ft terminated cable you can also purchase the crip tool along with the RJ-45 heads and box of cable.

And it is with hardware also, especially if you do any corporate purchasing. Had a contract with Dell and replacement/extra hard drives for the laptops if purchased via their catalog were 3 times the cost if we just went out and purchased on our own.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Oh yeah it always has been. And don't forget for the price of that one 15 ft terminated cable you can also purchase the crip tool along with the RJ-45 heads and box of cable.

And it is with hardware also, especially if you do any corporate purchasing. Had a contract with Dell and replacement/extra hard drives for the laptops if purchased via their catalog were 3 times the cost if we just went out and purchased on our own.

It's why I love Microcenter. We have a store here in town. I went through our HP contract to buy machines for the lab and HP wanted like 3500 for these "developer class" workstations. I could have gotten 2 Alienware systems with better graphics cards for that price at Microcenter. HP agreed to sell us the machines we needed at a price more in line with those. What a great savings!

Now if I could just get my company to agree to get me a PO account at Microcenter. I could save the company a ton more.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Solving their issue:

Normally I would agree with you. But I saw an article recently about the Lightning connector where the comments were filled with people saying how superior it is because you don't have to worry about getting the right side. :L

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cables are the biggest scam in computing/entertainment. Always have been. Those "Monster Cables" Best buy sells are, no joke, 95% profit. There is zero difference between that 50 dollar Monster HDMI and a Cables to Go.com one for 5. None.

I can buy a 1000ft box of Cat 6 cable and a box of ends to make my own network cables for the cost of 1 15ft network cable at Best Buy, Staples, etc.

You can do well on Amazon sometimes too.

Sure the cable is probably 95% lead, but as long as I get my crystal clear picture, I'm satisfied.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's why I love Microcenter. We have a store here in town. I went through our HP contract to buy machines for the lab and HP wanted like 3500 for these "developer class" workstations. I could have gotten 2 Alienware systems with better graphics cards for that price at Microcenter. HP agreed to sell us the machines we needed at a price more in line with those. What a great savings!

Now if I could just get my company to agree to get me a PO account at Microcenter. I could save the company a ton more.

It is funny you mention that. I was told about that store when I go to GA. I actually got the wifes laptop and the oldest sons PC equipment there so he could build it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would agree with you. But I saw an article recently about the Lightning connector where the comments were filled with people saying how superior it is because you don't have to worry about getting the right side. :L

LOL...I didn't realize that one. I guess those were the same people that complained about PS2 and VGA ports.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can do well on Amazon sometimes too.

Sure the cable is probably 95% lead, but as long as I get my crystal clear picture, I'm satisfied.
Yep. These were nice:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEWF4R2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Twisted Veins 6ft High Speed HDMI 2 Pack (includes TWO 6' cables, Right Angle Adapter, Velcro Ties) - Latest Version: Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return: Electronics[/ame]

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently, sleep me decided at some point in the middle of the night to put my phone on top of my glass of water, so when just-waking-up me heard my alarm going off and tried to quiet it, the phone fell out of my not-so-dextrous fingers and into the water. Hopefully, I can save it, but it's not looking good.

While my phone rested in rice, I went golfing, and was simply terrible. The course was challenging, but the real problem was that it was soaking wet, and the ground was eating the ball, the clubs, whatever it came into contact with. Now, I'm not a very good golfer, but a testament to how tough the course was playing, my friend is a solid bogey golfer, and he shot about 20 over par on 9 holes.

Anyway, I'm okay with having a rough round, but there were two holes which actually drove me nuts. On one, a par 5, I landed my approach shot in a bunker just shy of the green, part of a theme of not being able to hit my irons for any distance. I played out of that bunker, just shy of the green, but it was on a slope, and the ball came right back down into a different bunker. From that bunker, I landed just shy of the top of the hill twice, and it rolled back down in each time. The other hole that drove me nuts was because I actually crushed a drive, about 300 yards, which is way above my usual 250 or so, and then I proceeded to waste it by taking another four shots to get on the green.

Golf is frustrating.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently, sleep me decided at some point in the middle of the night to put my phone on top of my glass of water, so when just-waking-up me heard my alarm going off and tried to quiet it, the phone fell out of my not-so-dextrous fingers and into the water. Hopefully, I can save it, but it's not looking good.

Golf.
FIFY

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think these stores trade on the "I don't want to wait for shipping" mentality. You just buy a nice new HDTV and your options are either to over pay by 45 bucks for an HDMI chord or wait a few days for the cheaper one. People want instant gratification. I'm one of those people. Which is why when I buy a $5.00 HDMI cable online, I don't buy one, I buy three.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think these stores trade on the "I don't want to wait for shipping" mentality. You just buy a nice new HDTV and your options are either to over pay by 45 bucks for an HDMI chord or wait a few days for the cheaper one. People want instant gratification. I'm one of those people. Which is why when I buy a $5.00 HDMI cable online, I don't buy one, I buy three.

Which is why I buy my TV on Amazon also.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought my tv out of the back of a pickup truck (along with some tires). Matty hooked me up with a guy he knows (wink wink, nudge nudge)
I had a similar experience buying a freshly re-upholstered recliner.

Actually, I didn't really buy it, it's more like a free lease. The guy told me that he would be going on vacation for 20 years (15 with good behavior) and that he would return to collect his property and that I should take good care of it. It's very comfortable, so I don't mind doing the chair-sitting for him for free.

He seemed like a nice guy, so I figured, what the heck.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it so fucking hard to hire midget strippers. Jesus.