• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Massacre at Colorado theater

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree w/ him 100%

It's a REALLY well written piece with great structure. And he gets at the major problem (which intersects with another thread many of us have been talking in) - rather than being able to sit down and talk about the role of guns and what is reasonable, there are absolutists who have no sense of compromise and are completely unwilling to have an actual discussion of the issue. Even when being interviewed on a show about their views.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a REALLY well written piece with great structure. And he gets at the major problem (which intersects with another thread many of us have been talking in) - rather than being able to sit down and talk about the role of guns and what is reasonable, there are absolutists who have no sense of compromise and are completely unwilling to have an actual discussion of the issue. Even when being interviewed on a show about their views.

Geez, Morgan LET HIM HAVE IT there.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Veronica Moser-Sullivan, 6
Described as a "vibrant little girl," Veronica had just learned to swim and was "excited about life," her great-aunt said.

The girl's mother was critically injured at the movie theater, with wounds to the neck and abdomen, said Annie Dalton. "All she is asking about is her daughter."

"Her whole life has changed in a flash, for what? She still doesn't know her daughter is gone. Now our priority is to make sure that she survives this," Dalton said of Ashley Moser, 25.

Ashley Moser has just gotten into a licensed practical nurse program, Dalton told reporters. "Obviously, with this injury she not going to be able to start school like she planned. It's a dramatic change in everything."

Veronica was an only child.

veronica-moser-sullivan-the-sullivan-family.jpg

Sure makes a difference when you see the victims faces. I feel for all of them and their families. This picture of this precious little girl that looks so happy is very touching. My eyes teared up looking at it and reading the story. So sad and I hope the bastard responsible dies a very painful death.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep I agree. Have you seen Stewart's interview of Rubio? It talks about that a well, except Rubio says its a huge problem on the congress floor too, which in my mind is unacceptable (his too).

I try not to be absolutist though you did target one of my posts (welfare). I know I'm not a political genius so I try to listen to both sides whenever possible. I do hate some programs, but clearly I need to research them a little more, assuming you're not just blowing hot air :p

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I agree. Have you seen Stewart's interview of Rubio? It talks about that a well, except Rubio says its a huge problem on the congress floor too, which in my mind is unacceptable (his too).

I try not to be absolutist though you did target one of my posts (welfare). I know I'm not a political genius so I try to listen to both sides whenever possible. I do hate some programs, but clearly I need to research them a little more, assuming you're not just blowing hot air :p

That had nothing to do with me thinking you are abolutist. I don't think you are that way at all. And my post was really responding to 4-5 different posts that echoed the same thing yours did. I think being critical of gov't is important, but I also think we don't credit them enough for the things they do well or when changes ARE made. That's all.

The civility is awful in Congress these days and (sorry to say it) the Republicans are largely to blame. They play to win. They are better at it than the Democrats. But that shouldn't be the goal. Debate and governance should be the goal.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree w/ him 100%

one person should not be able to control an entire room with a weapon.. aka, no automatic guns, no guns with large magazines, etc.

there's just no reason to have those weapons.

and to those that want to defend the country from the corrupt govt with your assault rifle, if the military decides in favor of the govt, the people wont stand a chance. your assault rifle against their tanks and F-16s? good luck.

So many issues with this post.

A) One person should not be able to control a room with a weapon aka a automatic weapon.

He and most other lunatics that have done this stuff have had semi automatic weapons. I am sure your referring to a fully automatic machine gun which is not the weapon that was used in this incident.

B) No guns with large mags:

I could almost get on board with that but the idea is flawed on so may levels. If I have 15 30 round mags what do I have 150 rounds. I can change a mag in a AR15 in about 2-3 seconds so what exactly do you/we gain by banning large capacity mags?

C) Now the big one. For those of you that want to defend the country from a corrupt govt with your assault rifle.

This is what you kool aid drinkers think of all people who prepare for survival. You have no freaking idea and are so absorbed in the life you have run by this government that you cannot fathom a life without it. You claim that I acquire guns for the ability to protect myself from the government. NO SIR I DO NOT. I am a American and goddamn proud of that but this government is collapsing each and every day as it continues. The US dollar is worth crap on the global economy now and the .gov people have no idea how to recover.

The main reason I stockpile guns and ammo has nothing to do with the government it in FACT has everything to do with Kool Aid drinkers who when the shit hits the fan and trust me it is coming will try and come and TAKE the stuff I have worked hard for to ensure the survival of my family. I am pretty confident that a M1 Abrams tank is not gonna role down my street cause I own a AR 15.

Stop drinking the Kool Aid.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are some really crazy people on this planet.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying the entire piece is faulty because he didn't check his facts - I'm pretty much in agreement with the guy that folks don't need assault rifles - but 100,000 Americans die each year to guns? I don't think so. It's about 30,000 a year, and more than half of those are suicides, where the type of gun doesn't really matter.

Yeah, that was one thing that really jumped out at me as being self-serving to his point.

I really don't want to get into a political debate, but while he does bring an important issue to the forefront there are a lot of holes in that argument.

Could have been a simple case of getting the numbers mixed up. If I'm not mistaken, the 100K is the number of people that get shot in the US every year, with approximately 30-35% of those being fatal.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many issues with this post.

A) One person should not be able to control a room with a weapon aka a automatic weapon.

He and most other lunatics that have done this stuff have had semi automatic weapons. I am sure your referring to a fully automatic machine gun which is not the weapon that was used in this incident.

B) No guns with large mags:

I could almost get on board with that but the idea is flawed on so may levels. If I have 15 30 round mags what do I have 150 rounds. I can change a mag in a AR15 in about 2-3 seconds so what exactly do you/we gain by banning large capacity mags?

C) Now the big one. For those of you that want to defend the country from a corrupt govt with your assault rifle.

This is what you kool aid drinkers think of all people who prepare for survival. You have no freaking idea and are so absorbed in the life you have run by this government that you cannot fathom a life without it. You claim that I acquire guns for the ability to protect myself from the government. NO SIR I DO NOT. I am a American and goddamn proud of that but this government is collapsing each and every day as it continues. The US dollar is worth crap on the global economy now and the .gov people have no idea how to recover.

The main reason I stockpile guns and ammo has nothing to do with the government it in FACT has everything to do with Kool Aid drinkers who when the shit hits the fan and trust me it is coming will try and come and TAKE the stuff I have worked hard for to ensure the survival of my family. I am pretty confident that a M1 Abrams tank is not gonna role down my street cause I own a AR 15.

Stop drinking the Kool Aid.

A. I was speaking broadly, not just on the specific incident. However, it is also tied in to B

B. The average person can run approximately 7 mph, or 10 ft/s. In those 2-3 seconds someone standing 25 feet away could charge the shooter and bowl him over, causing a physical struggle on equal footing. And a 2-3 second reload, under pressure, would be impressive. Not unimaginable, i'm sure military personnel and law enforcement could handle it (dont know your background). If you don't think that 2-3 seconds is enough to make a difference, you're out of your mind.

C. First the ridiculousness about the tank coming for your AR-15. I never said a tank was going to come because you had an assualt rifle. But if there is an attempted revolution in this country, whichever side the military is on, will win. If you are part of the revolution and you try to fight the military with your assulat rifle, they will come for you. But i wont spend any more time discussing your peacock comment to garner attention.

As for the rest of C, it doesn't have anything to do with drinking Kool-Aid, it's called not being a doomsday predictor. You think the world is gunna end in december like the mayans did? I bet you started all this crap for Y2K, did that help you? I also hope you have some sort of stock pile to defend too because if the country fails and falls to complete chaos (doubtful at best), you better have a stockpile. You stockpile weapons to defend yourself and your family when inevitable disaster strikes, if anyone is drinking Kool-Aid sir, it is you. Any other doomsday predictions for us? Have you gotten on the Discovery Channel yet?

Have fun spending money on all your guns and ammo, you're never going to need it.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A. I was speaking broadly, not just on the specific incident. However, it is also tied in to B

B. The average person can run approximately 7 mph, or 10 ft/s. In those 2-3 seconds someone standing 25 feet away could charge the shooter and bowl him over, causing a physical struggle on equal footing. And a 2-3 second reload, under pressure, would be impressive. Not unimaginable, i'm sure military personnel and law enforcement could handle it (dont know your background). If you don't think that 2-3 seconds is enough to make a difference, you're out of your mind.

C. First the ridiculousness about the tank coming for your AR-15. I never said a tank was going to come because you had an assualt rifle. But if there is an attempted revolution in this country, whichever side the military is on, will win. If you are part of the revolution and you try to fight the military with your assulat rifle, they will come for you. But i wont spend any more time discussing your peacock comment to garner attention.

As for the rest of C, it doesn't have anything to do with drinking Kool-Aid, it's called not being a doomsday predictor. You think the world is gunna end in december like the mayans did? I bet you started all this crap for Y2K, did that help you? I also hope you have some sort of stock pile to defend too because if the country fails and falls to complete chaos (doubtful at best), you better have a stockpile. You stockpile weapons to defend yourself and your family when inevitable disaster strikes, if anyone is drinking Kool-Aid sir, it is you. Any other doomsday predictions for us? Have you gotten on the Discovery Channel yet?

Have fun spending money on all your guns and ammo, you're never going to need it.

Umm... You know this, how?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning an array of firearms. It is our right as Americans and free citizens to do so. The day the government restricts my right to a firearm is truly the day I am no longer an American.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I'm glad I didn't stumble into this thread earlier.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm... You know this, how?

because we live in the most prosperous nation the world has ever known. please give me an example where a recent super power has collapsed in to common citizens murdering each other on the streets because everyone is trying to rob everyone. i'm not talking about the inner city streets where this is happening, i'm talking about everywhere. i'm talking about a country where every individual is doing whats good for themselves and nothing else.

the govt is garbage, but if you truly feel that its going to result in complete anarchy and chaos with people running around shooting each other with assault rifles, i'm sorry you live with that type of fear and lack of faith in our country's citizens. i cant imagine the stress that causes you.

if by some chance our country does fail, i have faith that more often then not, people will come together to help eachother. neighborhoods will work together to survive, not tear eachother apart through violence and theft.

when the United States is faced with an actual, life or death crisis, it comes together as a nation. it always has and always will.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because we live in the most prosperous nation the world has ever known. please give me an example where a recent super power has collapsed in to common citizens murdering each other on the streets because everyone is trying to rob everyone. i'm not talking about the inner city streets where this is happening, i'm talking about everywhere. i'm talking about a country where every individual is doing whats good for themselves and nothing else.

the govt is garbage, but if you truly feel that its going to result in complete anarchy and chaos with people running around shooting each other with assault rifles, i'm sorry you live with that type of fear and lack of faith in our country's citizens. i cant imagine the stress that causes you.

if by some chance our country does fail, i have faith that more often then not, people will come together to help eachother. neighborhoods will work together to survive, not tear eachother apart through violence and theft.

when the United States is faced with an actual, life or death crisis, it comes together as a nation. it always has and always will.

I wasn't referring to anarchy and "us" facing the government, I was more or less referring to someone breaking into my home. I should probably read entire threads. I should not be told what guns I can and can't own in my own home. And I also have my gun permit. I only carry a .380 though. That would barely put someone down.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't referring to anarchy and "us" facing the government, I was more or less referring to someone breaking into my home. I should probably read entire threads. I should not be told what guns I can and can't own in my own home. And I also have my gun permit. I only carry a .380 though. That would barely put someone down.

i'm fine with owning guns. i think its ridiculous for someone to say you cant own a 10 round handgun (or shotgun or rifle) to protect yourself, or hell, go to the range and shoot it.

my beef is with anything that can control an entire room. things like grenades, RPG's, assault rifles, even semi-automatic guns with more than 15-20 rounds.

if someone breaks in to your house, you don't need an assault rifle to take them down.