• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Massacre at Colorado theater

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That writer couldn't be more wrong. He should be shot!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That letter was sad. What an idiot.

But what seemed even more offensive to me is that a writer at a newspaper took the words of ONE American to making sweeping generalizations about America and some pathetic editor let it go through. Lines such as..."so ingrained in Americans that they can’t leave it at home when they visit another country", "Americans argue that they need to carry guns, because having a concealed weapon makes them feel safe, ""Their thinking seems to be that at any given moment, they could be under attack from the very next person they meet on the street."

All those things are relevant to the guy who wrote the letter, not ALL Americans.

So, yeah, that police office is an overly concerned weirdo. But he doesn't have a responsiblity to censor himself or decide if he should publish something. The newspaper does. I can only assume from the article that all Americans news writers living in Canada are idiots.

Just because there are specific Americans who don't feel that way doesn't mean that it's not an accurate generalization. And I don't think the author of the article believes that literally every single American feels that way, but she's absolutely right that our gun laws and the number of gun deaths that we have in this country portray that impression to the rest of the world.

Having lived abroad and traveled extensively for work and pleasure, I can tell you that there's a reason that Americans have a bad reputation in a lot of places. You just have to hope there are some Brits around to be loud and obnoxious and not make the Americans look so bad in comparison.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having lived abroad and traveled extensively for work and pleasure, I can tell you that there's a reason that Americans have a bad reputation in a lot of places. You just have to hope there are some Brits around to be loud and obnoxious and not make the Americans look so bad in comparison.

I always hear about the bad rep Americans have overseas....well I too lived abroad and have travelled extensively and have never seen or had a bad experience for being an American...even in Paris. now maybe they were just being nice to my face and mother F'ing me to my back, but I've found that if you treat them with kindness and respect, they will treat you in like manner.

so, if you ever make this assertion again, I'll pull out my gun and shoot you in the face :rant:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always hear about the bad rep Americans have overseas....well I too lived abroad and have travelled extensively and have never seen or had a bad experience for being an American...even in Paris. now maybe they were just being nice to my face and mother F'ing me to my back, but I've found that if you treat them with kindness and respect, they will treat you in like manner.

so, if you ever make this assertion again, I'll pull out my gun and shoot you in the face :rant:

I've never had them be rude to me, because I like to think I don't behave like a typical American. I make it a point to be quiet and polite and to try to speak at least a few words of the local language (which I have admittedly failed on a couple of occasions).

But I've been to restaurants and shops in Sweden, Germany, and France (that I can remember specifically) where other American customers were pissed off because the store/restaurant didn't accept USD. At one store the people literally left the stuff sitting on the counter and walked out of the store because of it. The NERVE of those snooty Germans wanting to get paid in their own currency.

Have you ever heard someone with a Texas accent ask people in a too loud, too slow "I'm going to speak loud and slow because I assume you're too dumb to properly understand American" way ask people in Germany if they speak English? That's when you see the people say no, then laugh at the people and speak perfect English after they walk away.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never had them be rude to me, because I like to think I don't behave like a typical American. I make it a point to be quiet and polite and to try to speak at least a few words of the local language (which I have admittedly failed on a couple of occasions).

But I've been to restaurants and shops in Sweden, Germany, and France (that I can remember specifically) where other American customers were pissed off because the store/restaurant didn't accept USD. At one store the people literally left the stuff sitting on the counter and walked out of the store because of it. The NERVE of those snooty Germans wanting to get paid in their own currency.

Have you ever heard someone with a Texas accent ask people in a too loud, too slow "I'm going to speak loud and slow because I assume you're too dumb to properly understand American" way ask people in Germany if they speak English? That's when you see the people say no, then laugh at the people and speak perfect English after they walk away.

that's it...where's my Glock?

but kidding aside, of course I've seen it a tiem or two. hell, I'll never forget the time, while I was living in Italy at the time, my office decided to head out for a working lunch. we had one lady in the office that was a real ****. no one liked her (she was fired not long after this). anyway, we're at lunch and the afte the meal the waitress asks if anyone wants anything else. well bitch lady says she'd like a latte. well, in Italian latte means milk...which is what she got a glass of.

well being the nasty bitch she was, she gets all pissy and and is like "waht's this? I asked for a latte...LAT -TE" and waives it away. the waitress, rather confused, takes the glass away. as the waitress leaves the bitch starts saying things like "can you believe that. stupid woman can't even speak her own language." I looked in the eye and said "hey, latte means milk in Italian you stupid bitch" threw down the money I owed for lunch and left.

however, in all honesty, scenes like that were the exception, not the rule, from my experience.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its all anecdotal, just our experiences and you dont want to generalize BUT ... (lol)

when I was a kid our family would go to Italy every couple of years and we would get the "ciao americani" alot from one particular cousin and he did it to bust our balls because he always knew our reaction to it. One particular occasion, our family went with his family to Venice and took the ferry to Murano and it was a blistering hot day and we all got to be on the same boat as people who could have been the previous iteration of the Jersey Shore crew.

Just one big obnoxious family they were ... loud ... complaining about everything ... talking about how the water stunk ... how they needed air conditioning in the boat (???) ... how the boat was too small and cramped ... how their seat was wet ... all the while letting a little old lady stand, hugging a pole for balance, while the boat was making the trip

my cousin turns to me and says in Italian ... "ok ... Ill stop calling you americano"

its much worse when you go to a big tourist trap type of city ... you see it bigtime there ... but if youre in the smallers towns (like my parents hometown) and you come across americans, I found that they were more "normal" lol

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its all anecdotal, just our experiences and you dont want to generalize BUT ... (lol)

when I was a kid our family would go to Italy every couple of years and we would get the "ciao americani" alot from one particular cousin and he did it to bust our balls because he always knew our reaction to it. One particular occasion, our family went with his family to Venice and took the ferry to Murano and it was a blistering hot day and we all got to be on the same boat as people who could have been the previous iteration of the Jersey Shore crew.

Just one big obnoxious family they were ... loud ... complaining about everything ... talking about how the water stunk ... how they needed air conditioning in the boat (???) ... how the boat was too small and cramped ... how their seat was wet ... all the while letting a little old lady stand, hugging a pole for balance, while the boat was making the trip

my cousin turns to me and says in Italian ... "ok ... Ill stop calling you americano"

its much worse when you go to a big tourist trap type of city ... you see it bigtime there ... but if youre in the smallers towns (like my parents hometown) and you come across americans, I found that they were more "normal" lol

god i loved Italy...the vino, gelato, arancini...man, I'd move back in a second if I could

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 stories read em both

1. was in paris and just arrived from london with my wife. We were in a restaurant and did not know the way the establishments worked yet (further you sit from the bar area the more you pay) we were on the very outside next to a couple big gals who were pissed at the prices of the food. this place had a rule if you paid by credit card you needed to show your passport (for fraud) we showed ours they didnt copy it they just looked at it to compare names, the 2 girls wouldnt give up theirs. They didnt have any cash either so it was getting a little heated. the waiter did not speak english aside from the usual (no english mutter) the girls got madder and madder and started in on the this doesnt happen where we come from, this is not right, this is fraud, this is wrong trying to steal our passport information. etc etc... they started to get real mad and started following the waiter who apparently could speak nothing more than No English......there was a sign on the wall that said if paying by credit card passport identification is reqired for visitors in english so it was not a surprise. they started following the waiter into the kitchen and were really yelling at him. the last thing they said - THIS DOESNT HAPPEN IN AMERICA.... the waiter stopped, turned around and said with the most perfect english possible..... This is NOT america......

I guess he did speak english

2. was in mexico with my wife and we got off the bus from the airport at our resport, checked in and dropped off our luggage at our room. Went to the bar (of course) and had a few drinks a new bus came up as you could see them come up from the bar and this guy got off looking like he was from Jersey Shore went right to the bar before checking in getting his wrist band and grabbed the 2 beers at the bar that were my wifes and mine (they were just poured) and proceeded to chug them and walk right into the ocean fully clothed and in his leather half top designed boots. he then left. 3 days later we were at another bar and here is that same guy drunk as fucking can be wow I mean loaded and he had bought an iguana at the local market, and was trying to light its tail on fire, before I could get to stop him this scottish guy grabbed him by the throat poured water on the tail and put him into the ground. the authorities were there in about 2 mins. everyone gave their info..... the jersey shore guy... From Quebec Canada......

assholes everywhere....

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Canadian thing to do would be to reach out to our friend from Kalamazoo and apologize for any unpleasantries he and his wife experienced while in Canada and offer up two free tickets for travel anywhere in our fine land.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Canadian thing to do would be to reach out to our friend from Kalamazoo and apologize for any unpleasantries he and his wife experienced while in Canada and offer up two free tickets for travel anywhere in our fine land.

someone once asked me if i went to the stampede before ... can i get a free trip to Chez Paree in Montreal?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone once asked me if i went to the stampede before ... can i get a free trip to Chez Paree in Montreal?

lol - Sorry, this offer is only available to Americans

/Seriously, the guy did overreact, but does he need to get piled on via social media?

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was in San Juan, Puerto Rico on a lay over while going to Antigua and was out at the bar. drinking with this bar owner. was with an american girl and the bar owner after closing. started talking early and the owner asked me where I was from I said Vancouver Canada, he said oh Ive been there. I said Vancouver? no he said.. where I asked... he said...... Detroit.... I smiled and said thats our capital. the american girl...... looked at me and Said oh Vancouver... do you have wild penguins roaming free there.... I said yup... all over the beaches gosh she was pretty

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to go on a work trip to San Juan, I had to! I was amazed how much I liked it and by how pretty the women were.

As a side note, if any of you are ever in Baltimore and someone asks you if you have seen the "Manpede" do not answer!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to go on a work trip to San Juan, I had to! I was amazed how much I liked it and by how pretty the women were. As a side note, if any of you are ever in Baltimore and someone asks you if you have seen the "Manpede" do not answer![/QUOTE]

LMAO! Enjoyed the many stories there, fellas.

Just because there are specific Americans who don't feel that way doesn't mean that it's not an accurate generalization. And I don't think the author of the article believes that literally every single American feels that way, but she's absolutely right that our gun laws and the number of gun deaths that we have in this country portray that impression to the rest of the world.

I know she doesn't mean every American, but I don't think it's a fair generalization. First off, only 40-45% of Americans own a gun. So your average American doesn't even have one. And one would have to assume that many of these are purely for sport or hunting. Far fewer of those gun owners go through the process of getting conceal and carry permits to have them on their person. And I would assume even fewer of them would even think about or feel the need to take their gun to a foreign country. So, to me, saying "so ingrained in Americans that they can’t leave it at home when they visit another country" is a generalization about a very, very small minority and that's why I find it mildly offensive.

Based on my travel experiences, and to generalize, I think Americans are typically a polarizing people. We are often seen as gregarious and friendly, but also as loud and obnoxious. I've found that foreigners seem to either love Americans or find them highly annoying. But my time overseas has been limited, so take it for what it's worth.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the distaste for Americans abroad is centered in very tourist areas. When I've traveled in non-tourist places in Latin America and Africa I look like an American (I don't do the Maple Leaf on the bag thing). I've rarely been confronted with any hostility.

I think the reason for this is that TONNES of Americans go to the cheesy tourist places and the types who go there are, for lack of a better term, the stupid Americans. In Cancun and Punta Cana and the like I've see enough douchebaggery from American tourists to last me a lifetime. When you get off the beaten path I've met so many interesting and respectful American travelers. They are also not in the majority in those places like they are in the spring break locales. Why that is I'm not sure.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the distaste for Americans abroad is centered in very tourist areas. When I've traveled in non-tourist places in Latin America and Africa I look like an American (I don't do the Maple Leaf on the bag thing). I've rarely been confronted with any hostility.

I think the reason for this is that TONNES of Americans go to the cheesy tourist places and the types who go there are, for lack of a better term, the stupid Americans. In Cancun and Punta Cana and the like I've see enough douchebaggery from American tourists to last me a lifetime. When you get off the beaten path I've met so many interesting and respectful American travelers. They are also not in the majority in those places like they are in the spring break locales. Why that is I'm not sure.

The average American tends to not be too well traveled (internationally at least). There are various factors for this ranging from can't afford it to "why would I ever want to leave Texas" douchebaggery.

The ones that are well-traveled, who, from my experience, tend to be the ones who start to get off the beaten path a bit, are also the ones who have been around enough that they know how to behave themselves.

And honestly, I don't even count spring break and that sort of thing, because the places like Cancun know what they're getting into for that sort of thing. My perspective was more along the lines of places like Paris, Munich, Berlin, etc., which are the types of places that your average American traveler are going to visit with their limited resources and time.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to go on a work trip to San Juan, I had to! I was amazed how much I liked it and by how pretty the women were. As a side note, if any of you are ever in Baltimore and someone asks you if you have seen the "Manpede" do not answer![/QUOTE]

LMAO! Enjoyed the many stories there, fellas.

I know she doesn't mean every American, but I don't think it's a fair generalization. First off, only 40-45% of Americans own a gun. So your average American doesn't even have one. And one would have to assume that many of these are purely for sport or hunting. Far fewer of those gun owners go through the process of getting conceal and carry permits to have them on their person. And I would assume even fewer of them would even think about or feel the need to take their gun to a foreign country. So, to me, saying "so ingrained in Americans that they can’t leave it at home when they visit another country" is a generalization about a very, very small minority and that's why I find it mildly offensive.

Based on my travel experiences, and to generalize, I think Americans are typically a polarizing people. We are often seen as gregarious and friendly, but also as loud and obnoxious. I've found that foreigners seem to either love Americans or find them highly annoying. But my time overseas has been limited, so take it for what it's worth.

The statistics on what percentage of Americans believe you should be able to own a gun are much higher though. So even among those who choose not to own a gun themselves, they tend to be very supportive of maintaining the right to carry a gun.

Add that to our extremely high level of gun deaths relative to other first world countries and the much more frequent occurrences of incidents just like this in Colorado or Wisconsin, and it's not hard to see why people have that impression of Americans.

And with the traveling, there are a lot of people who love Americans abroad, for sure. My experience is that most first world countries (of those I've visited at least) with the exception of Scandinavia tend to have a negative view of Americans as a whole though they will be very friendly to well-behaved, friendly Americans.

When you get into third world countries though, they seem to be much more friendly. Say what you will about Americans in general, but most foreign countries, especially those in the third world, are well aware of the American culture of tipping. Add to the fact that it's typically so cheap to us to be there and the people know they stand to do well when we visit.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Yup all the hardcore criminals of Calgary hang out and go hiking and watching deer in Nosehill Park.

HAHAHHAHA. What a tool.

you never know man one minute oh pretty nature, look a bunny. but then

a.jpg