• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - London Olympics thread

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no "negligence" interpretation in the fifa laws of the game . Its either deliberate or not

The ref is supposed to make the determination between either

Ball to hand - not deliberate

Hand to ball - deliberate

I'm well aware of how the rule is written, but that's not how refs call it. Even non-shitty ones, which unfortunately not what we had today. My condolences for the loss, jstew and all Team Canada supporters. It's a hard one to take when the game is tied like that.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm running with my arms over my head and somebody kicks the ball into them, the refs gonna call it on me even if I wasn't facing the play and had no idea the ball was coming. Similarly, if the ball deflects in on net and hits my arm when it otherwise was going in (ie it wouldn't have hit my body) but I wasn't trying to stop it, the ref will still call a PK even though it wasn't deliberate. If it WAS deliberate the ref will call a PK and red card me.

I originally stopped reading your post after i saw "negligent" but i read it again and i gotta say if youre running with your arms over your head in the 18 and the ball makes contact with them youre getting a pk call because as a ref id be thinking "WHO THE FUCK RUNS WITH THEIR HANDS OVER THEIR HEAD" other than someone deliberately trying to handle the ball (or youre in a short bus league)

/r u sure youre not getting confused with pass interference in the "other" football lol

//i kid

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm well aware of how the rule is written, but that's not how refs call it. Even non-shitty ones, which unfortunately not what we had today. My condolences for the loss, jstew and all Team Canada supporters. It's a hard one to take when the game is tied like that.

From the ways u and eloco have talked about your experiences playing/reffing soccer in the u.s. , it seems like u guys are playing with a different rulebook down south lol

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the ways u and eloco have talked about your experiences playing/reffing soccer in the u.s. , it seems like u guys are playing with a different rulebook down south lol

I've personally never reffed soccer at any level, and I only played on a team until I was about 10 (right around the time when the opposing goalkeepers stopped diving AWAY from the ball).

That said, I've certainly watched my fair share of international soccer. I've seen refs call hand balls on plays which had NO CHANCE of being intentional. I've never seen or even HEARD of anyone called for a six second violation, though it's not the first time it's been called quoth the internet. It's just unfortunate that such an awesome match had to be ruined by that bullshit ref. I say again, that second goal by Sinclair was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen - possess the ball on the wing, absolutely SMOKE the defender on a reverse, and center the ball to Sinclair who puts it off the left post and in. It was just an offense executed nearly exactly as intended, and it was lovely. Rapinoe's dagger from the edge of the box was wonderful as well, though for different reasons.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, Canada has a chance at redemption today in a women's basketball quarterfinal against the US. Methinks this would be a bit more of an upset than yesterday, though.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oly_g_morgan01jr_300.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitfield crashes out of the triathlon today - Unconfirmed reports say a crazed Norwegian woman ran out in front of him as he took a right turn on his bike.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitfield crashes out of the triathlon today - Unconfirmed reports say a crazed Norwegian woman ran out in front of him as he took a right turn on his bike.

jezz that ref again???

/a photog captured his wife and daughter at the moment of learning he crashed

AzssRsYCYAIgXVI.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, Canada has a chance at redemption today in a women's basketball quarterfinal against the US. Methinks this would be a bit more of an upset than yesterday, though.

Do you believe in miracles?!? Um, er, final score USA 91 - Canada 48

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
womens basketball ... verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry competitive olympic team tournament

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
refs are always terrible. i bitch about hockey refs frequently, but it doesn't even come close to how much i complained about soccer refs when i played.. it got to the point where if they told me 2+2 was 4 i probably would've argued. they were ALWAYS wrong.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I can't believe how steamed I still am and it's almost 24 hours later...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...That's quite a few eyes.

tsnjamesduthie: 6.2 million Canadians watched Usain Bolt win the 100m on Sunday.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I can't believe how steamed I still am and it's almost 24 hours later...

i wonder if the ref goes to their hotel after the controversy knowing what they did and gives themselves a fist pump. I am upset but not as much. I just feel terrible for the team but I just want them to focus on the bronze and come home with that. they deserve better. I dont fault the american team but that one stings bad. fucking officials

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going sideways ... but ... if youre a soccer fan, youve probably been wondering "what does Declan Hill have to say about all this???"

he goes sideways too lol

Bizarre Refereeing and the Fixers
August 7th, 2012 Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The e-mail inbox is full, once again, with requests for comments on two controversial stories that have just broken in England.

Canada vs. the United States women’s Olympic semi-final: a superb match, marred with some bizarre refereeing. One extraordinary set of decisions led directly to the U.S’s equalizing goal. Canadian journalists have been demanding to know if ‘the fix was in’?

I try to never make remarks about possible corruption in matches that I simply watch. To be a referee is a pretty thankless task. Everyone is capable of making mistakes (when was the last time you got 100% on an exam?). So unless I have compelling first-hand evidence of bribes being passed, I never say if a match has been fixed simply from watching it. For me, it is matter of credibility. What I say normally about certain matches being fixed or the gang of fixers still being in operation is controversial enough.

This brings me to the second story – Chris Eaton (former FIFA head of security) has finally came out and confirmed that what I said before, during and after the South Africa World Cup in 2010 is true. There were people trying to fix matches at the tournament. They were focusing on the African teams. They were operating even after I exposed their activities two years before that in The Fix.

A number of points:

Much of the actual story of what went on in South Africa Chris leaves out.

I was hampered from exposing the complete truth at that time in South Africa by a couple of moronic British journalists, (a shocking story for anyone who believes in a tough, rigorous fourth estate. I write about it in my upcoming book).

It has taken Eaton two years to reveal the story of the fixers. We simply cannot rely on the officials or the regular sports media to properly protect the game that we love. We need an international anti-corruption agency to make sure the fixers are stopped cold and when we see bizarre refereeing in the future, we simply think that it is an accident not corruption.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder if the ref goes to their hotel after the controversy knowing what they did and gives themselves a fist pump. I am upset but not as much. I just feel terrible for the team but I just want them to focus on the bronze and come home with that. they deserve better. I dont fault the american team but that one stings bad. fucking officials

You said it, matty.