• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: I Hope This Guy Goes To Jail

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too hard to make a decision on whether or not this officer is in he wrong. It's not black and white. Departments like NYPD are quick to throw their officers under the bus to show that they do not tolerate abuse of power. However, I find it funny that the negative public opinion on law enforcement is largely due to the administrations' generations actions. In the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, it was expected of cops, by cops, to beat the shit out of criminals for mouthing off or showing disrespect. Also, it was no big deal to have a couple beers on-duty. Those are the officers who are now in control of the majority of our law enforcement departments.

I'm not saying what the officer did was right or wrong, I don't have enough information to come to a conclusion. I don't know his department policy on his assignment details or his direct orders. I do know deep undercover officers have a thankless job. It's a shitty assignment that is too taxing on the officer and their family.

Gang members are not going to befriend some one and accept them into their gang, if they are not willing to get their hands dirty. It's a question of how dirty is the public and each department is willing to accept and compromise with? Bashing a window in to fit in?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not even a question... the bikers are too blame. The dangers from stopping in the middle of a highway are bad enough... but to entrap a car with a bunch of thugs around you... entering your lane and stopping in front of you is criminal kidnapping in my book.

It is easy to watch a video and 2nd guess things in hindsight...but if someone on the bikes would have jumped off and shot him in the head... everyone would be screaming "why didn't he just run their ass over....?"

So you can't have it both ways... if you stop in the middle of highway and try to blockade someone against the law... especially when their wife and baby are with them... prepare to get run over. No other way to see it.

Why we give sympathy to those who break the law is beyond me.

I don't disagree that all appearances point toward the driver's actions being reasonable given the circumstances. But it's unclear what led to the incident in the first place, why the driver stopped, etc. I don't like to rush to judgment based on largely incomplete narratives.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that all appearances point toward the driver's actions being reasonable given the circumstances. But it's unclear what led to the incident in the first place, why the driver stopped, etc. I don't like to rush to judgment based on largely incomplete narratives.

I know this much, if I was on the SUV guy's jury he wouldn't have a thing to worry about.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know this much, if I was on the SUV guy's jury he wouldn't have a thing to worry about.

I don't doubt that. Though I'm skeptical any defense lawyer worth his or her salt would keep you on a jury. I'm not sure many prosecutors would want you on a jury, either.

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too hard to make a decision on whether or not this officer is in he wrong. It's not black and white. Departments like NYPD are quick to throw their officers under the bus to show that they do not tolerate abuse of power. However, I find it funny that the negative public opinion on law enforcement is largely due to the administrations' generations actions. In the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, it was expected of cops, by cops, to beat the shit out of criminals for mouthing off or showing disrespect. Also, it was no big deal to have a couple beers on-duty. Those are the officers who are now in control of the majority of our law enforcement departments.

I'm not saying what the officer did was right or wrong, I don't have enough information to come to a conclusion. I don't know his department policy on his assignment details or his direct orders. I do know deep undercover officers have a thankless job. It's a shitty assignment that is too taxing on the officer and their family.

Gang members are not going to befriend some one and accept them into their gang, if they are not willing to get their hands dirty. It's a question of how dirty is the public and each department is willing to accept and compromise with? Bashing a window in to fit in?
how is there not enough information??? The reports I am hearing is that the undercover cop is one of the thugs bashing in the suv windows! In what form is that acceptable police behavior??? :wtf2:

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The video clearly shows the driver stopped because one of the assholes on the bikes got in front of him and slowed until he hit him and that is why he stopped originally, then the suv is to far off camera to tell what happened after he stopped to then make him punch it and run over the guys in front of him. from the video that I have seen the guy in the SUV is in the right, and I could easily see him fearing for his life and that of his spouse and child.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt that. Though I'm skeptical any defense lawyer worth his or her salt would keep you on a jury. I'm not sure many prosecutors would want you on a jury, either.

Depends whether they wanted common sense on the jury or whether they just wanted someone they can manipulate.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Depends whether they wanted common sense on the jury or whether they just wanted someone they can manipulate.

Depends if they want someone who will make up their mind based on the evidence or preconceived notions.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends if they want someone who will make up their mind based on the evidence or preconceived notions.

No. They look for people who can be easily manipulated. Jury selection is a big business. In this case though, I saw all I needed to see.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No. They look for people who can be easily manipulated. Jury selection is a big business. In this case though, I saw all I needed to see.

And that's why you'd get kicked by either side, most likely. You aren't willing to remain objective and consider all the evidence.

If someone is easily manipulated, they are as easily manipulated by the other side as they are by your side. If you have strong leaders who are likely to support your argument, then you want some followers. Too many strong personalities can clash and spoil a jury room. But a panel of 12 easily manipulated people will more likely result in a hung jury or acquittal than a guilty verdict. I don't know any prosecutors who look for 12 sheep. On the contrary, prosecutors often look for leaders and prominent people in the community.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(CBS News) An NYPD undercover detective has now been arrested in connection with an attack on a family in an SUV by a group of motorcyclists, reports CBS News' John Miller.

The officer is expected to be charged with criminal mischief for allegedly banging on and breaking the rear window of the SUV. The detective waited four days before coming forward to the NYPD and he allegedly made false statements about his involvement, reports Miller.

So he is charged with riot and criminal mischief. I doubt that brings much jail time if convicted. I'd hope the false statements part effectively ends his career as a cop. The crooked cops who lie on statements are some of the scariest things out there because the judges often take them at their word.

As many as five other off-duty police officers may have been riding with the hundreds of motorcyclists who flooded Manhattan on Sept. 29 as part of an annual biker event called Hollywood Stuntz.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't matter... even if the driver hit you. You call the police and wait or follow him.. but you don't stop and try to impede his progress.

One crime doesn't translate into you can do another.

My guess is the driver pissed them off somehow ... and they thought they would give him a hard time... and it backfired. But either way it doesn't matter...unless the driver committed a felony and you had concern he was going to hurt someone else therefore you had to intervene.. there really is no other valid excuse for that they did.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So he is charged with riot and criminal mischief. I doubt that brings much jail time if convicted. I'd hope the false statements part effectively ends his career as a cop. The crooked cops who lie on statements are some of the scariest things out there because the judges often take them at their word.

They're very likely to. You couldn't put him on the stand in front of a jury after that. Even in front of a judge would be a tough call. If a cop can't testify, he's basically useless.

So I've heard mixed reports on this. Was the cop undercover, or just off duty?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter... even if the driver hit you. You call the police and wait or follow him.. but you don't stop and try to impede his progress.

One crime doesn't translate into you can do another.

My guess is the driver pissed them off somehow ... and they thought they would give him a hard time... and it backfired. But either way it doesn't matter...unless the driver committed a felony and you had concern he was going to hurt someone else therefore you had to intervene.. there really is no other valid excuse for that they did.

CBS News talked to the guy who shot the original video with his helmet cam. He claims that a water bottle was thrown out of the sunroof of the SUV. Probably what pissed the bikers off. BUT, my guess is that if a bottle was thrown it was only because the bikers were intentionally slowing the SUV down. I don't care how the bikers try and spin it... they are not the good guys in this situation. They don't own the roads, they tried to use their greater numbers to bully other drivers and well.. they learned why you don't pick on a land rover.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're very likely to. You couldn't put him on the stand in front of a jury after that. Even in front of a judge would be a tough call. If a cop can't testify, he's basically useless.

So I've heard mixed reports on this. Was the cop undercover, or just off duty?

I heard he was off duty too. I think that might be a result of his false statement, he probably claimed to be off duty in his report and someone in the press probably got a hold of his initial statement. I read that he was also undercover during the Occupy Manhattan thing. Sounds like NYPD liked to send this guy in to spy on any large gathering of people.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's why you'd get kicked by either side, most likely. You aren't willing to remain objective and consider all the evidence.

If someone is easily manipulated, they are as easily manipulated by the other side as they are by your side. If you have strong leaders who are likely to support your argument, then you want some followers. Too many strong personalities can clash and spoil a jury room. But a panel of 12 easily manipulated people will more likely result in a hung jury or acquittal than a guilty verdict. I don't know any prosecutors who look for 12 sheep. On the contrary, prosecutors often look for leaders and prominent people in the community.

Like those dynamic leaders on the O.J. jury, eh?