• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: How is everyone doing?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retired as well.... minor change in income but nothing life changing. We were in iIndia/Bhutan 10 days prior to the lockdown in SF and feel fortunate to have made it home.

Wife sits on a few boards and they are struggling (2 in food service and 1 non-profit health care).

Strange living in SF and being confined to an apt. 1st time since we relocated here that I miss our rural place with bbq, decks, acreage, workshop, home exercise stuff.... We get out daily for walks or bike rides (no cars to speak of, so we are getting to areas we normally don't visit). Reading, music, and organizing/editing about 15yrs of photos fills the day.

Decided to go in for some elective hernia surgery, good time as we're not going anywhere. Golf courses have reopened and that provides a little recovery motivation.

Walked by the ballpark last week and construction has restarted on the outfield bullpens. Grass looks great.

Not sure how we get out of this, but I fully expect this is the way it'll be for quite a while.

Take care stay safe ---

Thank God for Korean baseball!
Being stuck at home stinks. I've started doing some jogging/walking (who am I kidding, mainly walking) to get out of the house. I'm surprised that elective surgery was being allowed now. I thought that all elective procedures were being delayed. Glad you were able to get that done.
Hopefully, there will be some baseball this year but doesn't sound like any of us will be able to attend any games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being stuck at home stinks. I've started doing some jogging/walking (who am I kidding, mainly walking) to get out of the house. I'm surprised that elective surgery was being allowed now. I thought that all elective procedures were being delayed. Glad you were able to get that done.
Hopefully, there will be some baseball this year but doesn't sound like any of us will be able to attend any games.

Elective surgery (for the most part) re-opened here May 1. The hospital I use, one of UCSF campuses, has been completely underutilized since the shelter in place. They are glad to get back to work.

I believe, if the player's union and management can agree, there will be some baseball this year but no fans.

On that note I did see a news clip of the opening game in S. Korea. They placed cardboard cut outs of fans in the stands, complete with face masks. 1st pitch was some kid, but instead of him throwing the pitch he was inside one of those giant plastic bubbles (this one had the red baseball stitches on it) and he 'walked' the ball from the mound to home plate where he high fived the catcher throw the bubble ball. Pretty cool, at least there was a sense of humor about the situation.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re OK. Wife and grown kids are well. I am busy with my rwo jobs. As a treasurer of a non-profit, we are going through an audit. Yuck! Interesting challenges as a small church pastor. We decided to stop in person services on March 8. Have been recording services to YouTube since. One member just retired from Dolby where he made training videos. So we record in segments, and he stitches it all together. It is really odd preaching alone to a camera! Always said I have a face for radio and a voice for newsprint. Congregation is older, and healthy so far. One member passed away last week, he’d been on hospice for about a month. Zoom funerals are strange! Still walking, now up to 11 miles a day on average. Missing baseball and the friendly chatter here. You all mean something to me, and I’m grateful for you.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear that, pachyderm. Hope your interview goes/went well.

It went great!

I am now on the board, a part time paid position. The downside, I have to learn how to use Excel.

I did find out yesterday that I will not be able to work part time this summer as a custodian though. That is a shame mainly because our custodial staff is made of four (1 man) mostly elderly people. The summer work is almost entirely heavy lifting and working with heavy stripping machines to remove the wax on the floors. As the young gun, I'm 56 lol, I do a lot of the heavy stuff and now I won't be able to do any of it. I believe the county office is trying to kill my good friend, and head custodian, Carlos. I told him yesterday that is what he gets for being a Mets fan. :P

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re OK. Wife and grown kids are well. I am busy with my rwo jobs. As a treasurer of a non-profit, we are going through an audit. Yuck! Interesting challenges as a small church pastor. We decided to stop in person services on March 8. Have been recording services to YouTube since. One member just retired from Dolby where he made training videos. So we record in segments, and he stitches it all together. It is really odd preaching alone to a camera! Always said I have a face for radio and a voice for newsprint. Congregation is older, and healthy so far. One member passed away last week, he’d been on hospice for about a month. Zoom funerals are strange! Still walking, now up to 11 miles a day on average. Missing baseball and the friendly chatter here. You all mean something to me, and I’m grateful for you.
Stokes! Miss seeing you around here on the board. And miss baseball as well. I drove by Angels' stadium the other day and it really hit me that this should be baseball season . . . and its not. This sucks.
I've heard of pastors putting cardboard cutouts in the sanctuary for their sermons. Many churches had to suddenly become more technologically savvy. And an audit during the shelter in place? That's just cruel.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It went great!

I am now on the board, a part time paid position. The downside, I have to learn how to use Excel.

I did find out yesterday that I will not be able to work part time this summer as a custodian though. That is a shame mainly because our custodial staff is made of four (1 man) mostly elderly people. The summer work is almost entirely heavy lifting and working with heavy stripping machines to remove the wax on the floors. As the young gun, I'm 56 lol, I do a lot of the heavy stuff and now I won't be able to do any of it. I believe the county office is trying to kill my good friend, and head custodian, Carlos. I told him yesterday that is what he gets for being a Mets fan. :P
Glad to hear that you got the position. Congratulations! Seems odd to not have the normal summer cleaning going on with your district. Seems really odd, considering the nature of what is going on. Wouldn't that become an even bigger priority?

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear that you got the position. Congratulations! Seems odd to not have the normal summer cleaning going on with your district. Seems really odd, considering the nature of what is going on. Wouldn't that become an even bigger priority?

Long one, sorry.

Well we already did the sanitizing bit the first week we were in lock down. They had us come in and get our 5 hours the first Monday of lockdown.

Our school had an older part time(20 hours a week) custodian retire due to poor health. It took them the better part of a year to fill the spot when they hired him. They searched in vain, again, for a replacement. FYI: Young people don't want to be custodians. Several folks they tried to hire couldn't pass the background check i.e. felons or failed drug testing.

So myself and another lady I work with got to take 5 hours a week. Only 5 because they don't want to pay overtime. As EAs we work 35 hours. And lo and behold they actually paid us those extra 5 hours a week for all of March too which was very nice. They paid us for 20 hours in May too but we actually got to go in and help start year end clean up the first week of May.

I've been doing the summertime custodian gig for almost 12 years now. Carlos, our head custodian always requests me for the hours. He's ok for a Mets fan.

Our county is bursting at the seams with jobs and new housing. They've built 2 new schools in the last 3 years and 5 new ones in the last 6 overall!

They haven't rezoned yet so our school, built for 700 or so is up to 1,020+ kids. And there aren't any plans to rezone in the near future.

Apparently there is a new guy in accounting and he is trying to trim the fat in our budget. There is a small chance come Monday that he may get overturned. We'll see.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stokes! Miss seeing you around here on the board. And miss baseball as well. I drove by Angels' stadium the other day and it really hit me that this should be baseball season . . . and its not. This sucks.
I've heard of pastors putting cardboard cutouts in the sanctuary for their sermons. Many churches had to suddenly become more technologically savvy. And an audit during the shelter in place? That's just cruel.

Thanks, I have missed being here, too. I really have been getting an urge to post about how piss poor the Giants are at hitting with RISP, but I will have to save up all that fury for actual games.

Funny. We printed all the pictures we had of people, and have taped the pictures to the chairs in our facility. So at least I get to look at smiling faces. Yeah, the audit has consumed way more time than I had thought it would, but I think the end is in sight. We are learning a lot about technology, having Zoom meetings. Some of my people are pretty old school though, and don't do computers nor cell phones. Communicating has never been a one-size-fits all affair, and it really isn't now!

So you are in higher ed, huh? I taught as an adjunct at Azusa Pacific for 18 years, and loved it. I usually taught three classes a year. I once wound up picking up a class during the second week when the assigned adjunct just quit. Each class was one day a week for three hours. So my first class was 4-7, and the second class was 7-10. Fortunately in the same room. But I never made the second class stay until 10, ever. I wasn't paid much as an adjunct, it was more mad money for me. And I was not required to go to faculty meetings except the first department meeting of the year. Faculty meetings, even with like-minded folks, can degenerate into petty tribalism. My dad, BTW, was a dean at the University of Minnesota (School of Education), so teaching has been in my blood for a long time.

I hope baseball returns soon. All the best to you, LHG!

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I have missed being here, too. I really have been getting an urge to post about how piss poor the Giants are at hitting with RISP, but I will have to save up all that fury for actual games.

Funny. We printed all the pictures we had of people, and have taped the pictures to the chairs in our facility. So at least I get to look at smiling faces. Yeah, the audit has consumed way more time than I had thought it would, but I think the end is in sight. We are learning a lot about technology, having Zoom meetings. Some of my people are pretty old school though, and don't do computers nor cell phones. Communicating has never been a one-size-fits all affair, and it really isn't now!

So you are in higher ed, huh? I taught as an adjunct at Azusa Pacific for 18 years, and loved it. I usually taught three classes a year. I once wound up picking up a class during the second week when the assigned adjunct just quit. Each class was one day a week for three hours. So my first class was 4-7, and the second class was 7-10. Fortunately in the same room. But I never made the second class stay until 10, ever. I wasn't paid much as an adjunct, it was more mad money for me. And I was not required to go to faculty meetings except the first department meeting of the year. Faculty meetings, even with like-minded folks, can degenerate into petty tribalism. My dad, BTW, was a dean at the University of Minnesota (School of Education), so teaching has been in my blood for a long time.

I hope baseball returns soon. All the best to you, LHG!
Oh no! Come the start of baseball season, FZ is going to erupt into a volcano of transactions and you will erupt into a volcano of RISP posts.
Communication is an "adventure" in the best of times. How much more now during these times.
I work on staff so I avoid most of the politics of faculty but hear some faculty I know well complain about the their regular meetings. When our institution went through a review of all departments and programs (they billed it as a program review but was mainly to cut costs), I got to see some of the passion of faculty come out in joint faculty/staff meetings. My wife has taught as an adjunct at the law school where she got her degree and the money isn't much. The motivation to be an adjunct is not the money, that is for sure.
Good to hear from you and hopefully, we'll be doing more baseball talk within the next month (I assume some kind of abbreviated spring training will happen).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I'd give an update on my job. Our institution cut about 31 faculty and staff (mainly staff). Unfortunately, I was not one of them but I saw some good friends get the axe - people who'd been with the institution 15, 20 even 30 years! All that work and no recognition - just a pink slip and a, hopefully, decent severance package. I am facing a 2% pay cut (just about everyone who are left get a pay cut) but since I don't make much to begin with, that 2% won't impact us too much.
Now, if only we'd get some baseball this year.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in Indianapolis now (words I never thought I would say when I lived in Sacto & San Diego). Picked this city back in like February (sports scene, pretty affordable living, good downtown ).

Job wise, eeesh. My timing of becoming full-time sports writer, notttttt the best. If I’m being honest, the job I have now I hate (whole bunch of reasons/behind scenes to that), but I’m somehow still employed and thus I am thankful for it as long as it lasts.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in Indianapolis now (words I never thought I would say when I lived in Sacto & San Diego). Picked this city back in like February (sports scene, pretty affordable living, good downtown ).

Job wise, eeesh. My timing of becoming full-time sports writer, notttttt the best. If I’m being honest, the job I have now I hate (whole bunch of reasons/behind scenes to that), but I’m somehow still employed and thus I am thankful for it as long as it lasts.
GPC! Good to hear from you. At least you are closer to your beloved Packers. Rejoicing with you that you still have your job and rooting for you to get that writing gig once this all blows over (or maybe even sooner!). I know that MLB Trade Rumors were looking for some part time writers at one point. Did you ever see that opportunity?