• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: How is everyone doing?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a few weeks since I've visited this site. The near standstill of any baseball related news has caused a "new normal" for me. I've tried to check out other parts of this forum but I just cannot get into the discussions outside of Giants' baseball. I saw the draft update, came here and thought I'd ask how everyone is doing with this craziness.
For me, my three children, my wife and I are all home all day, every day. I think us be so close for so long is making everyone a bit stir crazy. Both my wife and I are still employed, for now. She works a lot with small businesses so her income could dry up soon. My job just announced that 20 to 40 people will be laid off by the end of the month (on top of possible furloughs) but we don't know who will get laid off. The company only has about 300 full time employees so the lay offs are going to be significant.
On top of that, one of our two cars started having issues. I was doing the weekly grocery run in my 2005 PT Cruiser (not my favorite car but it was gifted in 2007 and has lasted a long time) when it suddenly decided to not accelerate. Fortunately, we have another vehicle that still runs and are not in need of two vehicles right now. But we'll have a decision to make in the future.
Some better news is that my wife has had some nodules growing around her thyroid and there was concern that she could have cancer. However, after taking biopsies on all the nodules, she came back clean on the tests. Thanking God for that news!
With that said, I'm grateful that I still have a job, a place to live and food. I know that a lot of people are in worse situations than us. How is everyone else doing? @tzill @1phlapdown @calsnowskier @jeep99tj @SF11704 @Mays-Fan @Hangman @MarcoPolo @Sandisfan @filosofy29 @Giantsmojo @Stokes1931 @msgkings322 @GiantsPackersChamps2011 @SFGRTB @pachyderm

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My company furloughed the ENTIRE sales staff about a week into the lockdown. At that time, I was reduced to 50% time (and changed to hourly, of course). About 2 weeks ago, I was “called up” to full time, but at 88% pay (that is an across the company rate atm). This will be a tough year for us, but we are actually pretty well positioned to recover faster than some, I hope.

Working from home has been nice, but stir-crazy-inducing. My dog is not certain if she likes having me around all day or is sick of looking at my ugly mug all day.

Overall, I am weathering the storm. But it has been very aggravating.

hope all of you are at least treading water. And staying healthy, more importantly.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got tested was quarantined for 2 weeks. Working 70 hour weeks cause while my store is closed to the public it is open for curbside pickup and shipping. Another 2 weeks of this till a few customers can come in. 7 at a time.

But my brother and his wife were laid off and my sister and her husband own their own business which is closed. They are hurting pretty bad right now.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pachyderm & Crew are doing all right. We have been very, very fortunate.

My wife, the big breadwinner, is able to work from home.

My sons(4) were all able to work from home or still go into work.

I work in public education and our county has covered us until the end of May which is the end of the school year.

I have also been approved to do my usual interim custodial work, I help strip and wax floors, starting in June - July. Due to cutbacks and budget restructuring It's only 20 hours a week this summer instead of the usual 40. I'm fine with that.

I'm also up for a board job at our soccer park. I interview next weekend. ;)

I hope everyone else is doing well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My company furloughed the ENTIRE sales staff about a week into the lockdown. At that time, I was reduced to 50% time (and changed to hourly, of course). About 2 weeks ago, I was “called up” to full time, but at 88% pay (that is an across the company rate atm). This will be a tough year for us, but we are actually pretty well positioned to recover faster than some, I hope.

Working from home has been nice, but stir-crazy-inducing. My dog is not certain if she likes having me around all day or is sick of looking at my ugly mug all day.

Overall, I am weathering the storm. But it has been very aggravating.

hope all of you are at least treading water. And staying healthy, more importantly.
Sounds like quite the mixed bag, cal (loss of pay but still working, possibility of faster recovery for your employer). Hope you get your full back and that your company does see a faster recovery than expected.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got tested was quarantined for 2 weeks. Working 70 hour weeks cause while my store is closed to the public it is open for curbside pickup and shipping. Another 2 weeks of this till a few customers can come in. 7 at a time.

But my brother and his wife were laid off and my sister and her husband own their own business which is closed. They are hurting pretty bad right now.
My wife got tested but the result was a negative. Sounds like you got a positive? And that is a lot of working! Hope you are getting at least decent compensation for it. Sorry to hear about your siblings and their spouses. Hope things turn around quickly for them.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pachyderm & Crew are doing all right. We have been very, very fortunate.

My wife, the big breadwinner, is able to work from home.

My sons(4) were all able to work from home or still go into work.

I work in public education and our county has covered us until the end of May which is the end of the school year.

I have also been approved to do my usual interim custodial work, I help strip and wax floors, starting in June - July. Due to cutbacks and budget restructuring It's only 20 hours a week this summer instead of the usual 40. I'm fine with that.

I'm also up for a board job at our soccer park. I interview next weekend. ;)

I hope everyone else is doing well.
Glad to hear that, pachyderm. Hope your interview goes/went well.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife got tested but the result was a negative. Sounds like you got a positive? And that is a lot of working! Hope you are getting at least decent compensation for it. Sorry to hear about your siblings and their spouses. Hope things turn around quickly for them.

No, I tested negative, but it was too much like what Coronas symptoms that they told me to stay home. It also took 6 days to get my results back.. But I am still having breathing problems from when I was sick. I am using an inhaler now and had to do breathing treatments.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like quite the mixed bag, cal (loss of pay but still working, possibility of faster recovery for your employer). Hope you get your full back and that your company does see a faster recovery than expected.
We had a new product coming down the pipe that actually is perfect for the new masked world (can’t mention anything about it yet). We hope that will get us the boost we need to weather the storm of the next year or so trying to get back to normal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been fairly lucky so far, all things considered. I work in higher education, so it does feel like a ticking time bomb, but for now I still have my job, full time WFH, no pay cut. They did reduce their retirement contributions, but at my age I'm not too concerned with that especially if it means I keep full time hours and pay right now.

Family members are healthy as well. If anyone did get it unknowingly, they've beaten it so far. There was some concern after coming back from Spring Training in Arizona, as that was right before it blew up nationally, but the four of us who went did not experience any symptoms.

I certainly feel very fortunate.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing well brother working half hours but since I started early SSI we have all expenses covered. We both got the Check so if we get back to normal soon no problems.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been fairly lucky so far, all things considered. I work in higher education, so it does feel like a ticking time bomb, but for now I still have my job, full time WFH, no pay cut. They did reduce their retirement contributions, but at my age I'm not too concerned with that especially if it means I keep full time hours and pay right now.

Family members are healthy as well. If anyone did get it unknowingly, they've beaten it so far. There was some concern after coming back from Spring Training in Arizona, as that was right before it blew up nationally, but the four of us who went did not experience any symptoms.

I certainly feel very fortunate.
I work in higher ed as well and had hoped our university would somehow get through without too much damage. Now, we are all waiting for the axe to fall on up to 40 people. No one, outside of probably a few people, know who that will be wait so we are all looking at each other, wondering is it me? Is it you? Hope your place of learning fares better.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing well brother working half hours but since I started early SSI we have all expenses covered. We both got the Check so if we get back to normal soon no problems.
Glad to hear you have everything covered. Praying that continues.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work in higher ed as well and had hoped our university would somehow get through without too much damage. Now, we are all waiting for the axe to fall on up to 40 people. No one, outside of probably a few people, know who that will be wait so we are all looking at each other, wondering is it me? Is it you? Hope your place of learning fares better.

Our institution axed about 30 people a couple weeks ago, and the rumor is more may be coming, depending on how many new students commit. June 1 could be a very dark day.

Most of the people let go were senior-level. I'm probably in the safe zone of not too much experience (so lower pay) but high up enough to be essential (plus I'm the only person doing this particular job). Our department is already stretched thin as-is.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our institution axed about 30 people a couple weeks ago, and the rumor is more may be coming, depending on how many new students commit. June 1 could be a very dark day.

Most of the people let go were senior-level. I'm probably in the safe zone of not too much experience (so lower pay) but high up enough to be essential (plus I'm the only person doing this particular job). Our department is already stretched thin as-is.
Our senior leadership just got reorganized by the new president and they've all agreed to take a 10% paycut so I doubt any of them are going to be gone in the next two weeks. I've been at this institution for 12 years (I think I joined this forum in the ESPN days about 6 months after I started this job) and work in a very essential office. We are also stretched thin but have a lot of people who have worked at the school for a while. There are 4 people who have more years there than me (3 were offered early retirement but none of them want to take the offer) and our "rookie" has been with the school for over 5 years. I have to think we get targeted, just because the salaries, for our institution, are high. Our director doesn't think that will happen though. We shall see.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're (family) in a much different state than almost all of the board members here. We are both seniors (70's) and retired. The good part of that is that our income isn't effected by any of this. They are all stable. The bad part of all this is our age ..... we happened to be in the worst demographic segment for this virus. Makes us that much more aware of our surroundings and the people around us.

I worked in healthcare for more than 30 years and still have many friends that are still actively employed in that arena. Not a fun job to have at the moment. Most of what I hear and have seen tends to tell me that this virus is not to be taken lightly. If seems to have the ability to present in quite a few different ways and with various levels of severity.

Trying to balance opening the economy along with protecting 'personal' health is going to be a challenge A difficult one at that. Don't envy those that are tasked with this.

You all stay safe, healthy and if you are working outside of the home setting .. be careful ....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retired as well.... minor change in income but nothing life changing. We were in iIndia/Bhutan 10 days prior to the lockdown in SF and feel fortunate to have made it home.

Wife sits on a few boards and they are struggling (2 in food service and 1 non-profit health care).

Strange living in SF and being confined to an apt. 1st time since we relocated here that I miss our rural place with bbq, decks, acreage, workshop, home exercise stuff.... We get out daily for walks or bike rides (no cars to speak of, so we are getting to areas we normally don't visit). Reading, music, and organizing/editing about 15yrs of photos fills the day.

Decided to go in for some elective hernia surgery, good time as we're not going anywhere. Golf courses have reopened and that provides a little recovery motivation.

Walked by the ballpark last week and construction has restarted on the outfield bullpens. Grass looks great.

Not sure how we get out of this, but I fully expect this is the way it'll be for quite a while.

Take care stay safe ---

Thank God for Korean baseball!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our senior leadership just got reorganized by the new president and they've all agreed to take a 10% paycut so I doubt any of them are going to be gone in the next two weeks. I've been at this institution for 12 years (I think I joined this forum in the ESPN days about 6 months after I started this job) and work in a very essential office. We are also stretched thin but have a lot of people who have worked at the school for a while. There are 4 people who have more years there than me (3 were offered early retirement but none of them want to take the offer) and our "rookie" has been with the school for over 5 years. I have to think we get targeted, just because the salaries, for our institution, are high. Our director doesn't think that will happen though. We shall see.

Wish you the best.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're (family) in a much different state than almost all of the board members here. We are both seniors (70's) and retired. The good part of that is that our income isn't effected by any of this. They are all stable. The bad part of all this is our age ..... we happened to be in the worst demographic segment for this virus. Makes us that much more aware of our surroundings and the people around us.

I worked in healthcare for more than 30 years and still have many friends that are still actively employed in that arena. Not a fun job to have at the moment. Most of what I hear and have seen tends to tell me that this virus is not to be taken lightly. If seems to have the ability to present in quite a few different ways and with various levels of severity.

Trying to balance opening the economy along with protecting 'personal' health is going to be a challenge A difficult one at that. Don't envy those that are tasked with this.

You all stay safe, healthy and if you are working outside of the home setting .. be careful ....
Glad to hear you both are doing okay. Praying that your health does not get negatively impacted.