• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Hey GP

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Enjoy that Gentleman's Jack. I have no idea how I remember you saying that from the day the Giants clinched the West.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Enjoy that Gentleman's Jack. I have no idea how I remember you saying that from the day the Giants clinched the West.

Haha! IT WAS FANTASTIC! Got home last night after hiking with the dogs, and the moment I stepped out of the car my wife said "Have you heard?" "We got Bin Laden!" My first response was to say "Break out the Gentleman Jack!"

We must have gotten 50 texts from around the country with the news, and to say "have a shot for us".

Fuck Yeah.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haha! IT WAS FANTASTIC! Got home last night after hiking with the dogs, and the moment I stepped out of the car my wife said "Have you heard?" "We got Bin Laden!" My first response was to say "Break out the Gentleman Jack!"

We must have gotten 50 texts from around the country with the news, and to say "have a shot for us".

Fuck Yeah.

That's awesome. What's the story behind that bottle of Jack?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's awesome. What's the story behind that bottle of Jack?

It was symbolic of a pledge my wife made after 9/11, and of the friends/coworkers we lost in the towers that day.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was symbolic of a pledge my wife made after 9/11, and of the friends/coworkers we lost in the towers that day.

Your wife sounds awesome. that's a great pledge.

also, fuck osama.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your wife sounds awesome. that's a great pledge.

also, fuck osama.

Saw a great fake tweet floating around the intertubes. From the hashtag "@osamainhell", the tweet being simply: "Wait. What?"

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Saw a great fake tweet floating around the intertubes. From the hashtag "@osamainhell", the tweet being simply: "Wait. What?"

that's great! and another one:

OsamaInHell:

"There's a torture chamber here that's an exact replica of the 7 train. Thanks, John Rocker."

"Only thing to drink here is Cel-Ray. Well played, Jews, well played."

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last edited by a moderator:

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops, didnt realize what this thread was about when i made one.

someone on facebook posted a quote from some net geek saying "after 10 years, 2 wars, 900,000 deaths, trillions of dollars to kill one person, was it worth it?" (something, not an exact quote). i told her i wanna backhand her and whoever this quote is from.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got no problem with being grateful that Bin Laden (may his name be erased) can no longer do his evil, but this joyous celebrating is disgusting. My grandparents told me that when Hitler was announced dead, there was no celebration -- just a solemn acknowledgment that justice had been served.

A number of Americans are whooping it up like their team won the fucking championship. I'm appalled. Not shocked, given the fat, lazy, stupid country we have now. But appalled nonetheless.

We don't celebrate the loss of human life -- irrespective of whoever dies. Or at least, as civilized people we shouldn't.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
oops, didnt realize what this thread was about when i made one.

someone on facebook posted a quote from some net geek saying "after 10 years, 2 wars, 900,000 deaths, trillions of dollars to kill one person, was it worth it?" (something, not an exact quote). i told her i wanna backhand her and whoever this quote is from.

Perhaps misses the principle of reciprocity as a fundamental human motivation and as the primary threat to be used against those that that go "beyond the pale" in societal norms. Sounds like someone trying to appear to be above the fray, but instead revealing a lack of understanding the bigger picture of how societies function (i.e. it does not boil down to a cost/benefit analysis).

Though does remind me of a passage in William L. Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". Something like: "the greater portion of the wealth and might of the Western World being used to defeat Hitler, when a single pistol shot would have sufficed in 1936." When he chronicled the British reluctance, and conflicted motivations, in not supporting several groups actively looking for assistance in assassinating Hitler in the later half of the thirties.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps misses the principle of reciprocity as a fundamental human motivation and as the primary threat to be used against those that that go "beyond the pale" in societal norms. Sounds like someone trying to appear to be above the fray, but instead revealing a lack of understanding the bigger picture of how societies function (i.e. it does not boil down to a cost/benefit analysis).

Though does remind me of a passage in William L. Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". Something like: "the greater portion of the wealth and might of the Western World being used to defeat Hitler, when a single pistol shot would have sufficed in 1936." When he chronicled the British reluctance, and conflicted motivations, in not supporting several groups actively looking for assistance in assassinating Hitler in the later half of the thirties.

It's not even this complex. The guy being quoted has it flat wrong, all that money wasn't spent to get OBL. It was spent to fight the 2 wars. Iraq was a fucking disaster, but not about getting OBL. Even the Afghan war (ongoing) was only partly about that, it was also about removing and defanging the Taliban, not just OBL/Al Qaeda.

Re the Hitler comparison, interesting thought experiment: if we kill OBL in the 1990s, does 9-11 happen? Maybe not...but does Islamic jihadism still happen, with other possible '9-11s'?

You can go crazy with the counterfactual speculating.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got no problem with being grateful that Bin Laden (may his name be erased) can no longer do his evil, but this joyous celebrating is disgusting. My grandparents told me that when Hitler was announced dead, there was no celebration -- just a solemn acknowledgment that justice had been served.

A number of Americans are whooping it up like their team won the fucking championship. I'm appalled. Not shocked, given the fat, lazy, stupid country we have now. But appalled nonetheless.

We don't celebrate the loss of human life -- irrespective of whoever dies. Or at least, as civilized people we shouldn't.

Not even a Raptor Jesus on the news, and some internet fist-pumping?

To each his own, I think that level of celebration is warranted. Draping a flag around you as you dance in front of the White House? Probably too much.

This, however, is fine with me: :whoo:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not even this complex. The guy being quoted has it flat wrong, all that money wasn't spent to get OBL. It was spent to fight the 2 wars. Iraq was a fucking disaster, but not about getting OBL. Even the Afghan war (ongoing) was only partly about that, it was also about removing and defanging the Taliban, not just OBL/Al Qaeda.

Re the Hitler comparison, interesting thought experiment: if we kill OBL in the 1990s, does 9-11 happen? Maybe not...but does Islamic jihadism still happen, with other possible '9-11s'?

You can go crazy with the counterfactual speculating.

Sure. But I wanted to make the point that even if you want to re-parse the the entire "War on Terror" as a "Hunt for Bin Ladin" it's a fundamentally naive attempt at appearing objective and/or sophisticated.

Acting like a douche bag is the more concise way of saying it.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Sorry tzill, but I don't operate that way. Though, I never claimed to be civilized either.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. But I wanted to make the point that even if you want to re-parse the the entire "War on Terror" as a "Hunt for Bin Ladin" it's a fundamentally naive attempt at appearing objective and/or sophisticated.

Acting like a douche bag is the more concise way of saying it.

Agreed.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its hard to view him as a human. him/the rest of the terrorists dont act as humans. if you cut someones head off on camera, you're not a human. if you plan/orchestrate attacks that kill thousands of innocent people, you are not a human. anyone who does that is a piece of shit and a simple shot to the head was him getting off easy.

that being said, if i was in washington or new york, i probably would not have joined in the group celebration. maybe if i was close i woulda took a walk there to see what it was like, but im not going to stand there for hours like people did.

let me ask this, were your grandparents here or in another country when hitler died?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a Raptor Jesus on the news, and some internet fist-pumping?

To each his own, I think that level of celebration is warranted. Draping a flag around you as you dance in front of the White House? Probably too much.

This, however, is fine with me: :whoo:

I get the relief, I really do. I do NOT get the total disregard for human life, irrespective (I've been using that word a LOT today) of the evil that life may represent.

We do not rejoice at the death of our enemy. The implementation of justice is not a joyful celebration. As Rabbi Cohen writes of watching the recording of Eichmann's trial, "In this man's eyes are reflected the ghosts of his uncountable victims...and also nothing at all." I am riveted by the face of Bin Laden. I do not want to look into his eyes. Those eyes witnessed the snuffing out of so much life; those eyes remained willfully blind to the pain and loss he caused. I believe justice has indeed been served today. Joylessly, as is appropriate.

May America know a measure of comfort after these almost 10 years, and may we redouble our efforts to rebuild our Nation in a more unified way, knowing that this incredible pain has been felt by members of every political persuasion.