• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Futbol chit chat

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't be holding my breath on seeing who Wenger brings in. The entire transfer strategy has been nothing short of disappointing the past several seasons and I don't see it changing suddenly. I think more of the blame falls on the board's shoulders. I doubt if the board told him that he had all this money to spend, that he would say no and prefer to save the cash by not signing anyone who would break the bank. It's probably the board limiting him in the amount he can spend on transfers. Guess we'll never know the real story behind that, but it really baffles me to see a top club being so miserly.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I recalled that the other day(prolly a rumored to be true at the time) ETO is far from being the top paid soccer player/athlete... holy wow, over the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba etc.... especially at his age?

The only reason it happen, IMO, is because the russian league(new) wants to start bringing over players(high profile) to their league to start the interest/competition. I wonder if Russia's own talent from international play will start to flow back to the mother country?(similar to how spain's international squad hides in Barcelona with a few runaways here n there.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I recalled that the other day(prolly a rumored to be true at the time) ETO is far from being the top paid soccer player/athlete... holy wow, over the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba etc.... especially at his age?

The only reason it happen, IMO, is because the russian league(new) wants to start bringing over players(high profile) to their league to start the interest/competition. I wonder if Russia's own talent from international play will start to flow back to the mother country?(similar to how spain's international squad hides in Barcelona with a few runaways here n there.

Eto'o has mad success in the CL with Barca and most recently Inter Milan made him an attraction for Anze. On the otherhand, Eto'o has essentially reached the pinnacle as far as soccer players are concerned so his priority is more financial security as opposed to winning titles at this point.

As far as Russia is concerned, I don't know. There are players scattered across the continents that could come back, but I'm not sure about many them bringing that added level of excitement for their league. Maybe it's me being tired of Andrei Arshavin absolutely doing close to nothing for Arsenal, but not many Russian players have stood out for over recent years.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I didn't mean to dismiss what Eto has accomplished on the club level(international too)... just him getting paid much more than Messi/Ronaldo is incredible to me. And it's not like 4-5 more Euros... close to 11 euros in difference i believe.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Russian thing could be interesting. Decent drift of good players that direction this year, but obviously they have to pay a huge premium for any more established stars like Eto'o. The conditions, the prestige, the racism, everything is worse......with this Anzhi team, the club is located in Dagestan......but they players live and train in Moscow, then travel like 1250 miles to play home games. Then you have your nice road trips to places like Kazan which is halfway across Russia, aka about a million miles away. Kind of ridiculous and players won't put up with stuff like that without getting PAID. Owner has money to burn though, lets see if he wants to give Abramovich a run for his money.

Shakhtar from Ukraine does it about as perfectly as possible, they bring in super young players and can compete with the best of em in Champions League....but inevitably if a big club comes calling the players all want to leave. Hard to sustain without paying them exorbitant wages.

Last edited by a moderator:

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Russian deal is much like the U.S. except on a much much larger financial level. In the past few years, we have seen players like Beckham, and now Henry (and in due course my all-time favorite Del Piero) come to the U.S. in the twilight of their careers just to make some quick cash, soak in on the publicity and then retire back to their home countries.

I think Russia might be an upcoming alternative for players that do not already have one foot in the retirement home. I think we might see more and more players move there in their early 30s, make a ridiculous amount of cash, and then either call it quits altogether, or milk their name further with a move to say the U.S.

I think the NBA might be headed this same direction as well, especially if this entire upcoming season is locked out. Once players get a taste for foreign play, and with it the tax free income, and being worshiped everywhere they go, I think you'll see more and more head there in the latter years of their careers.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Russian deal is much like the U.S. except on a much much larger financial level. In the past few years, we have seen players like Beckham, and now Henry (and in due course my all-time favorite Del Piero) come to the U.S. in the twilight of their careers just to make some quick cash, soak in on the publicity and then retire back to their home countries.

I think Russia might be an upcoming alternative for players that do not already have one foot in the retirement home. I think we might see more and more players move there in their early 30s, make a ridiculous amount of cash, and then either call it quits altogether, or milk their name further with a move to say the U.S.

I think the NBA might be headed this same direction as well, especially if this entire upcoming season is locked out. Once players get a taste for foreign play, and with it the tax free income, and being worshiped everywhere they go, I think you'll see more and more head there in the latter years of their careers.

Turkey seems more logical, no?

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turkey seems more logical, no?

Turkey is more logical though I think that's the case for basketball players (as we have seen this offseason) more than it is for soccer players. I don't think there's (a) enough money for soccer players in Turkey nor (b) the fame and worshipping the players receive in countries around Asia or the U.S.

I think countries in the middle east might be a better middle-of-the-road (like Cannavaro who played for Al Ahli)

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Arsenal just got their butts kicked 8-2 by Man U.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh! That was one old fashioned ass whooping! I had a feeling we would get beat down but not in my wildest dreams did I think it would get this bad.

Going to be an interesting couple of days in the transfer market now. What's going to happen now is that the board or Wenger (whoever is calling the shots!) is now going to have to end up overpaying for the same players they could have gotten much earlier. Moreover, anyone they do get now will take several weeks to get fully integrated into the squad.

Really is very frustrating to be a Gunner fan right now!

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bah.... Barca owns my Merengue anyways...

They did last year, but you guys are much improved this year, as was evidenced by the closely fought Super Cup this season! I look forward to the exciting games that the two teams will play throughout this season. Spanish football is such a joy to watch compared with the ho hum Serie A that I'm usually glued to.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Inter is getting close to getting my pride & joy Forlan..... if that happens, SHOULD be an excellent move.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inter might be getting him, but on the flip side, might be losing Sneijder before the window closes. And as of today, ManUre seem to be the top contender! The rich only get richer! Sigh!

In other news, I'd have to say this is the first time I have EVER seen such a gesture from a pro sports club ...

Arsenal.com (@Arsenal)
8/29/11 9:24
Arsenal will write to fans who went to Man Utd on Sunday offering to cover cost of match ticket at a future away game.
Arsenal thanks 'fantastic' fans for support | News Archive | News | Arsenal.com

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fascinating:

Barcelona 5-0 Villarreal: Guardiola switches to a 3-4-3 (diamond) and Barca run riot | Zonal Marking

Barca played a three-man defensive line, consisting of two midfielders and a left back, and crushed Villarreal. I never used to give Guardiola credit, thought he was coasting along with superior talent, but as I appreciate tactics more I see he (or their overall coaching) is definitely deserving.

More and more teams these days play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 formations, where the center forward isn't a big guy heading crosses, but a smart playmaker who causes the defense problems with unpredictable movement (Messi, RVP, Rooney). You just don't need the big centerbacks in this situation, and you're better off with smart and mobile guy...or at least one of them.

Barca isn't just better than everyone else talent-wise, but they're on the forefront of the tactical thinking. They manage to get away with these amazing attacking lineups, with minimal numbers of defensive players (even their left and right backs are usually offensive-minded players in Alves and Adriano), because they play their defense in the form of massive pressing all over the pitch rather than relying on defensive players to defend.

Last edited by a moderator: