• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Futbol chit chat

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow what a fucking DIRTY tackle by Marcelo. Wow.

yehyeh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love how Gervinho slapping a dude in the face will get the same punishment as Marcelo scissor kicking a dude in the knee. Cesc looked alright after that. I wonder who else got a red there, i saw the ref give out at least two more.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the game too. Had no idea it was on a Wednesday! Figured it would be over the weekend being such a big game. Might have to see if air a re-run.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be on espn 3 to replay.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, its on ESPN3, watched it last night. Great match. Madrid is coming out with a whole new mindset this year, trying to play with Barca. Both teams have big players still integrating into the system so it should just keep getting better.

I was prepared for some kind of criminal assault from Marcelo given everything I read yesterday, and while it was an ugly and ridiculous challenge, it was hardly the de Jong-like leg breaker I was prepared for.......ugly rather than dangerous. What was weird is that just like in the match last year when Adebayor came out and just fouled people non-stop, Marcelo did the same thing this year. I don't know if Mourinho has got these late subs too jacked up to play, or what.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yosh, you have to be able to see the difference between American sports and euro soccer. The Heat can get their big 3, but because of salary restrictions they are forced to comprise the rest of their roster with role players and scrubs.

Comparing them to Barca, its as if their starting lineup was James, Bosh, Wade, Deron Williams and Tim Duncan, THEN they went out in the offseason and added Carmelo and Derrick Rose. La Liga has the opposite of a salary cap and competitive balance - they consciously make the rich richer with their TV deals. Makes some great Clasicos, but also about 30 boring matches each season for both teams.

And yeah, baseball is just as wack, but like I said, the difference is that baseball teams simply can't dominate like soccer or basketball teams can. Its an excellent season to win over 65% of games in baseball, so the dominant teams like Yankees still bug but its not a real cluster****.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yosh, you have to be able to see the difference between American sports and euro soccer. The Heat can get their big 3, but because of salary restrictions they are forced to comprise the rest of their roster with role players and scrubs.

Comparing them to Barca, its as if their starting lineup was James, Bosh, Wade, Deron Williams and Tim Duncan, THEN they went out in the offseason and added Carmelo and Derrick Rose. La Liga has the opposite of a salary cap and competitive balance - they consciously make the rich richer with their TV deals. Makes some great Clasicos, but also about 30 boring matches each season for both teams.

And yeah, baseball is just as wack, but like I said, the difference is that baseball teams simply can't dominate like soccer or basketball teams can. Its an excellent season to win over 65% of games in baseball, so the dominant teams like Yankees still bug but its not a real cluster****.

Space, I hear what you're saying, but I don't think that American sports are too far off from La Liga, the EPL, etc. Eventhough the Heat compromised the rest of their roster for the 3 amigos, the fact that the three of them are playing for the same team when undoubtedly Miami doesn't deserve a team of that caliber is mind boggling. Yes, soccer doesn't have a cap and the "usual" suspects are in it for the long run, plus what others including yourself have mentioned that teams are mortgaging "imaginary" holdings, cash, and resources for short term success (opposite of Arsene Wenger's viewpoint in how to run a financially stable/health club) is upsetting the balance. For example, Spain, whose economy is woeful, still manages to have 2 teams that are spending an exorbitant amount of money despite their current economic status - this is contrary to American sports to a certain extent of having this cap status.

Unfortunately, I still think in terms of level of playing field, there's a certain inequity that still exists in certain sports - baseball and to a certain extent basketball. I'm looking at from a perspective of teams who have bigger markets drawing players into their squad. The Heat and the Knicks are 2 teams who come to mind - both are big market teams who are drawing players through free agency. Although the NBA institutes a "cap" (which is funny because teams can actually go over the cap and just pay a luxury tax), it still causes some doubt in mind as to how fair the level of play is in the NBA.

Soccer has had teams similar to baseball who can pull off miracles - Ajax back in the day, FC Porto meeting AS Monaco when Mourinho coached the Portuguese outfit and winning the whole thing, Nottingham Forest winning the UEFA CL in back to back years in the 80's, and also english teams who have won the FA Cup. It's a bit rarer in baseball, but it has happened.

And as you said, baseball, well....:rofl:

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be on espn 3 to replay.

If you guys have GOL TV, it will definitely air several times this week. ESPN Deportes will also air it, but of course, in spanish.

About Marcelo's tackle - pretty dirty if you ask me. I've seen Mourinho coach Porto, Chelsea, and Inter back in the day, and this is the first time I imagine a team really getting under his skin. Mourinho has scoffed a few times at Wenger and Ferguson alike, but the fact that he can not solve the Barca puzzle is starting to really take a toll on him.

With Marcelo taking out Fabs the way he did yesterday, it just goes to show the rivalry Catalans and Castillans have had over years. Although this is nothing compared to the rivalry from decades ago, when Catalans actually lost their lives at the hands of Franco and co.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel there's more widespread talent in Soccer/futbol vs basketball. In soccer, you can do what Barca did, like Madrid, Man U, Chelsea etc... but still it won't guarantee automatic wins or lopsided victories.

Where as basketball, Heat in this case, they nearly won it all with their big 3 but they lost to a more talented rounded team.

idk if it made sense, but IMHO, i feel there's too much talent around the sport of soccer to let total dominance by a team take effect(talking the whole sport of soccer and not just leagues)

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel there's more widespread talent in Soccer/futbol vs basketball. In soccer, you can do what Barca did, like Madrid, Man U, Chelsea etc... but still it won't guarantee automatic wins or lopsided victories.

Where as basketball, Heat in this case, they nearly won it all with their big 3 but they lost to a more talented rounded team.

idk if it made sense, but IMHO, i feel there's too much talent around the sport of soccer to let total dominance by a team take effect(talking the whole sport of soccer and not just leagues)

I hear you - that's the thing - if a team such as Arsenal just stops with this dimwittedness about spending and actually signs quality depth at key positions (CB, DMF, and Striker), I can honestly see them making a big run in a competition such as UEFA CL. Just look what they did in 2006, when a team comprised of Henry, Ashley Cole, and a bunch of kids (Flamini, Fabs, Reyes, Clichy, RVP) was within 10 minutes of winning the CL title.

Big names on big teams doesn't always guarantee success.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all well and good for the Champions League, but what about La Liga? Its not even a competition at this point. And I know plenty of people are in my camp.......the NY Times with a timely piece today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/sports/soccer/19iht-SOCCER19.html?_r=1&hpw

With La Liga, I just mentioned earlier that 2 teams are dominating in many aspects of the game. There was a period when teams such as Villareal, Valencia, and Sevilla served as problems for the top two. Your article states the obvious to me - Spain's economic problem, tv revenue, etc., but the financial fair play rule is not just an isolated with La Liga, as Wenger has often times (most recently wednesday) mentioned how UEFA needs to institute fair play rules in England due to the new found riches found with Chelsea and Man City in particular. Arsenal is a perfect of example of a team that has officially become a feeder club to other teams.

I know where you're going with this, but what I'm saying is that there is also an inequity that exists in American sports as well.

HTML:
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18296799

Article about basketball. A little on the angry side of things, but no doubt the NBA has a level of unfairness (from star power to big markets). Heck, I'm a Lakers fan and I know this

HTML:
http://www.cleveland.com/wfny/index.ssf/2011/04/the_legacy_of_the_1994_basebal.html

Baseball - making reference to the 1994 strike. This was actually a though provoking article that makes good reference to the inequalities in baseball.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is one dark effin cloud hovering over Arsenal right now. Two things I was thinking during that match......1. Has Arshavin been hanging out with Biedrins lately? Just about as abrupt a decline, the guy was just terrible out there. 2. Vermaelen is a beast, he was a one-man army out there for a lot of the match, looked like Vidic out there.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one dark effin cloud hovering over Arsenal right now. Two things I was thinking during that match......1. Has Arshavin been hanging out with Biedrins lately? Just about as abrupt a decline, the guy was just terrible out there. 2. Vermaelen is a beast, he was a one-man army out there for a lot of the match, looked like Vidic out there.

Yeah, I know it's only 2 games into the season but quite honestly if this is the team we're going to field (knowing how unlikely it is for Wenger to make 2-3 solid signings before the transfer deadline), then this team is f*cked. :fear:

The players who stood out were Sagna, Verminator, Chezzer (GK), and even Frimpong despite his red card. RvP - hard to say when no one's feeding him the ball.

Players who absolutely stunk were as you mentioned Arshavin (has the talent but his lack of desire on the pitch is mesmerizing), Walcott (how many times does he look like a headless chicken running out there), and Ramsey - he is NO Fabs. Ramsey still has upside, although I"m not sure what kind of central midfielder he's going to be considering he doesn't have Fabs' passing skills nor does he have the shooting ability of a Wilshere. Walcott is vastly overrated and I wonder if the 12 million pounds Wenger paid for Oxlade - Chamberlain last week could have been used in getting someone better, as Oxlade - Chamberlain and Walcott are both comparable in speed and the fact both are from Southampton.

Surprisingly, Jenkinson and Miquel were pretty solid despite being newcomers. The only problem for me is that Wenger is putting together too many youngin's in the first XI to right the ship, but not enough solid players/veterans/bench players. If Arsenal loses Koscielny and Verms, this team is screwed. As it stands, if Arsenal finishes in the top 6 I'd be very surprised, as the Europa League would even be out of the question.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just now got to watch the game and how depressing it is! I don't know what I feel more ... depression, or frustration, or anger (at Wenger's transfer tactics, or lack thereof). And now we lose Koscielny for at least a few weeks, which means he misses the CL qualifier return leg! As some of you pointed out, with little to no depth, we have to depend WAY too much on youngsters. You just cannot have 19 and 20 year olds playing with the big boys and expect positive results. It might work against the mid-table teams, but against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, ManU etc... their inexperience will be abused. This is where signing veteran players, those very same players Arsene shys away from, would help us tremendously. And now Wenger comes out and says that things are not going to well in the search for additions to the squad? Well, no shit Sherlock! He waits until the tail end of the transfer window and expects to land some big names?! And what the heck is up with Nasri?! I'm so ready for him to leave already.

Arshavin has been a bum since last season. He shows flashes every once in a while but more often than not he just seems to run run run with no aim or objective to it ... much like Walcott himself.

Arrgh ... alright ... gotta stop my rant now. But I'd be very surprised if we end up even making it to the Europa league next season. Very depressing!

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, an end to the Nasri saga!

Terms have been agreed with Manchester City over the sale of Samir Nasri:
Terms agreed with Manchester City for Nasri | News Archive | News | Arsenal.com
Are you fu
In another news ...
Arsène Wenger is not afraid to take a “gamble” in the transfer market
'I’m prepared to speculate in the market' | News Archive | News | Arsenal.com

Nasri - good riddance. Yeah he has talent, but he can be replaced. Fabs on the otherhand...

And what's this about Wenger not being afraid to gamble? Man I keep wondering what's going on behind closed doors at North London nowadays. Case in point - Juan Mata just went to Chelsea when he was on the table for Arsenal to pick him up over the last month. Arsenal kept low balling Valencia with the buy out clause of 23 million pounds (I think Arsenal was offering 15 million) and the team lets Mata go somewhere else right under their noses? Something's up with with either Arsene or Arsenal (the board). :evil: