• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Euro 2012

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, I love watching Sneijder thread passes too......but frankly Gerrard seems inadequate for the role. He has tons of tools, but comparing him to the guys we've mentioned......to continue the basketball comparison, he seems to me more Paul Pierce than Steve Nash. He had a good cross a game or two ago, but I wouldn't think he's a top creator.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that Portugal has going for them is that Spain runs a very similar offense to Barca in their passing attack, one that if the defense can pressure without OVERpressuring, they can negate a bit. The problem is that Portugal is chalk full of midfielders and backs that tend to overcommit...I can only hope that Spain doesn't have the finishing presence out there that Torres once gave them to make Portugal pay for their overaggressive on ball defense. Portugal started to shield defensively back, not allowing the Czechs to pass to their CB, which seemed to stifle the Czechs and take them out of their comfort zone. The Portuguese defense has to do the same to Spain, but with more efficiency if they are to have a chance in this match.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My impression is that if Portugal had one more destroyer midfielder option they would be a nice matchup for Spain....or at least the best you can hope for. Seems like ideally you really need those three dynamic and versatile midfielders against the spaniards, where all three can defend without hurting your passing game, just clog up the middle and try to hit them on counters by the talented wingers......same plan as Real Madrid. While I like Portugal's midfield three, none of them is great as a stopper....all just sound defensively.

They could also move Pepe forward as a defensive mid, if they want to play for a draw, but you saw from the Madrid/Barca matches that kind of stifles the attack, the mids all need to be clever in possession against that heavy press, and hopefully able to hit the wingers with longer passes to start the breaks.....which is where Veloso might actually be very handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent analysis from the both of you. Rep.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easier said than done.

but this Spain club doesn't have a Messi to f the gameplan up....

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
easier said than done.

but this Spain club doesn't have a Messi to f the gameplan up....

As good as Messi is, there is a reason why hes much better on Baraca than on the international stage. He has 3 Peyton Mannings on his team.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Messi is, there is a reason why hes much better on Baraca than on the international stage. He has 3 Peyton Mannings on his team.

will not argue that with Barca, Messi's supporting cast is much more elite than with Argentina.

But under good ol Pep, Messi's role on the team vastly suits him more than he did/does with Argentina.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame Messi's ineffectiveness in the last World Cup primarily on Maradona's piss poor game plans and almost arrogant defiance in NOT putting Messi in places to succeed. It almost seemed as if Maradona was threatened by Messi's status as the new Argentine Hero and did everything he could to negate that with bullshit game plans and bullheaded stubbornness in not adjusting. Although Argentina is not up to Barca's level talent-wise, Messi isn't exactly playing with New Guinea here. Argentina has many solid players who almost to a man was not put in a position that accented said player's strengths and/or masking said player's weaknesses. Without Maradona, they just destroyed a young, but very talented Brazil squad not more then maybe a month ago.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Excellent analysis from the both of you

Thanks man....I read about this stuff like I'm studying for a doctorate, so you can tell I love to spout some opinions.

Spain going with the poacher-type striker in Negredo today, rather than either Fabregas or Torres. The one change has a pretty significant effect on how they play, a bit less possession, a bit more direct probably.....sure makes it hard to prepare for this game for POR.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks man....I read about this stuff like I'm studying for a doctorate, so you can tell I love to spout some opinions.

Spain going with the poacher-type striker in Negredo today, rather than either Fabregas or Torres. The one change has a pretty significant effect on how they play, a bit less possession, a bit more direct probably.....sure makes it hard to prepare for this game for POR.

Not liking Fabs in the position he's playing in for Spain, mind you. Granted, Spain is deep in their midfield and changes were made due to Villas' absence as well as Torres still lingering from his ever present injuries. However, although Fabs can score, he's a maestro in the midfield and he's best at being a facilitator rather than leading an attack.

However, I'd still like Torres coming in this game in the second half and replacing Negredo with Fabs supporting him in the central attacking area. Should be fun.

Viva Espana!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt catch the first half, got the 2nd half on... hope to see a fun one... no PKs!!!! plz!

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt catch the first half, got the 2nd half on... hope to see a fun one... no PKs!!!! plz!

Grrr! Stuck at work and can't watch either semi-final Yeah, PKs is an unfortunate way to go out...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos almost there... Spain had two good chances... one was point blank but the goalie for Portugal denied him glory.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i'm at work too... need a remedy?

Today was a little tough since I had to be in and out of meetings all day. But if you have stable link for tomorrow, I would much appreciate it. Might have to come up with some busy "work" for tomorrow so I can shut the door and enjoy the game :)

EDIT: if you can send me that link I'm going to try and watch the PK since it seems like it's going that way. Thanks!!