• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT College Football

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He left the complex under his own power. I'm guessing concussion. Season's over anyways. I'm ready to burn that coaching staff to the ground and start over.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He left the complex under his own power. I'm guessing concussion. Season's over anyways. I'm ready to burn that coaching staff to the ground and start over.

Good to hear on Knight. I was honestly concerned for the young man. IMO, it was a cheap shot which injured him.

I know where you're coming from on Stoops and staff.

He's been there for ya since 1999. And sometimes the grass looks greener even when it isn't and sometimes you just need a change of venue for all parties. Frankly, not sure exactly where OU is at this junction in life.

But from the outside looking in, I think it'd be a good change for Stoops to move on - Florida/Michigan will probably be options - and OU can concentrate on getting a younger, up-and-coming coach to renew the faith.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear on Knight. I was honestly concerned for the young man. IMO, it was a cheap shot which injured him.

I know where you're coming from on Stoops and staff.

He's been there for ya since 1999. And sometimes the grass looks greener even when it isn't and sometimes you just need a change of venue for all parties. Frankly, not sure exactly where OU is at this junction in life.

But from the outside looking in, I think it'd be a good change for Stoops to move on - Florida/Michigan will probably be options - and OU can concentrate on getting a younger, up-and-coming coach to renew the faith.

Oklahoma would pretty much have their pick of the litter.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Season's never over since you still gotta pull out wins for recruiting. I get the season is over in terms of playoffs/national championship aspirations but any wins can only help with recruiting.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that, and the answer is yes.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that, and the answer is yes.

I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. But I believe the fact-of-the-matter is the day of coaches staying at a school much longer than 10-12 years is becoming a thing of the past.

There's just so much pressure to produce, the expectations so overwhelming, and the demands of recruiting are endless. It's routine in today's college game for coaches to work 18 hour days, 6 1/2 days a week during the season, and then have to spend 70+ hour weeks in the off season too.

I guess this is what happens when you pay HC millions and the assistants $600K.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. But I believe the fact-of-the-matter is the day of coaches staying at a school much longer than 10-12 years is becoming a thing of the past.

There's just so much pressure to produce, the expectations so overwhelming, and the demands of recruiting are endless. It's routine in today's college game for coaches to work 18 hour days, 6 1/2 days a week during the season, and then have to spend 70+ hour weeks in the off season too.

You give me Bob's salary and I'll work 70 hour weeks.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You give me Bob's salary and I'll work 70 hour weeks.

From what I've read, coaches work 120 hour weeks during season. And season includes the month before spring practice, all the way through bowl season. Then they work 70 hours or so the rest of the year.

And I can tell you for a fact - from having worked in a stressful, what have you done for me today industry for many years - that over a ten year period of time it take the starch outta your shorts some.

But I hear ya, and thus my comment about coaches salaries. When you make what Stoops, Saban, Meyer, etc make, you gotta produce or move along. It's as simple as that.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's rather silly that any OU fan would want Stoops gone. Be really careful what you wish for because the grass is always greener on the other side. No one is going to win the NC every year we know that. OU has been in the hunt the majority of the time during his tenure...sometimes things don't work out...recruits don't pan out despite the silly rivals star system.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's rather silly that any OU fan would want Stoops gone. Be really careful what you wish for because the grass is always greener on the other side. No one is going to win the NC every year we know that. OU has been in the hunt the majority of the time during his tenure...sometimes things don't work out...recruits don't pan out despite the silly rivals star system.

There is no excuse for oklahoma getting blown out at home like that, and going 14-5 in his last 19 games at home is not acceptable. Oklahoma used to be invincible at home. Teams don't fear Norman anymore. Things have gotten stale.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no excuse for oklahoma getting blown out at home like that, and going 14-5 in his last 19 games at home is not acceptable. Oklahoma used to be invincible at home. Teams don't fear Norman anymore. Things have gotten stale.

I doubt it's because of Stoops. Again they're still relevant and a very good team. They probably lost to the better team...it happens. Yes historically the powerhouse programs dominate home and historically I think many people can't really understand how Baylor of all schools can do such a thing but the CFB has changed a little bit. It's virtually impossible to keep on dominating year after year for going on what 15 or so years Stoops has been there. I know it's inevitable that at some point there will be a time when they will go separate ways but calling for his head now is a knee jerk reaction. I remember TN fans wanted Fullmer out after 1 or 2 meh seasons and they got their wish and after his firing they've not really been relevant since.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it's because of Stoops. Again they're still relevant and a very good team. They probably lost to the better team...it happens. Yes historically the powerhouse programs dominate home and historically I think many people can't really understand how Baylor of all schools can do such a thing but the CFB has changed a little bit. It's virtually impossible to keep on dominating year after year for going on what 15 or so years Stoops has been there. I know it's inevitable that at some point there will be a time when they will go separate ways but calling for his head now is a knee jerk reaction. I remember TN fans wanted Fullmer out after 1 or 2 meh seasons and they got their wish and after his firing they've not really been relevant since.

As far as Fulmer is concerned, I was one of those who wanted him gone. Stand by that opinion to this very day.

Now, my problem was with our dumbass AD hiring first Lame Kiffin, and follows that one up with Derek Dooley. Derek Dooley is one of the worst hires ever for anyone. The inept fool was coming off a 4-8 season with "Louisiana Tech" and yet gets the UT opportunity. Really?

And Tennessee is on the right track now, since we fired the AD and got Butch Jones at the helm.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Fulmer is concerned, I was one of those who wanted him gone. Stand by that opinion to this very day.

Now, my problem was with our dumbass AD hiring first Lame Kiffin, and follows that one up with Derek Dooley. Derek Dooley is one of the worst hires ever for anyone. The inept fool was coming off a 4-8 season with "Louisiana Tech" and yet gets the UT opportunity. Really?

And Tennessee is on the right track now, since we fired the AD and got Butch Jones at the helm.

Unless there was a problem within the organization between Fullmer & the AD/Admin and ego's irresponsibly clashed etc he had one bad season and he was fired. Yes TN MAY be getting on track now but it took 6 years or so doing it.

I guess I kinda get the Dooley hiring...he did a pretty good job at LT(at that time considering where LT was prior) from what I recall on the whole and it certainly didn't hurt that he was the son of another SEC coaching great. If Stoops were to produce 3 or 4 years of obvious decline in results with poor coaching/recruiting etc (see Mack Brown) then I'm all open to change but the expectations the big boy programs have is a bit much and too unrealistic. The man is 166-42 (according to wiki) as of today, never had a season with more than 3 losses and will probably continue that streak this season as I don't see them losing again this reg season. Again how can expectations be that out of wack?

Speaking in general terms of AD's/boosters/fans getting too fired happy many coaches do a great job in winning and increasing profile for a university when it's successful, and I believe in the same token he should have the right get out of any down times and feel they've earned it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refugee.......Unless there was a problem within the organization between Fullmer & the AD/Admin and ego's irresponsibly clashed etc he had one bad season and he was fired. Yes TN MAY be getting on track now but it took 6 years or so doing it.

I guess I kinda get the Dooley hiring...he did a pretty good job at LT(at that time considering where LT was prior) from what I recall on the whole and it certainly didn't hurt that he was the son of another SEC coaching great.

In Fulmer's last 4 seasons the team went 29-21. Not good, don't care how you're doing the measuring. The program was in rapid decline, both from a support/recruiting standpoint, and it was a decision which had to be made. Everybody loved Phil and deeply appreciated what he'd accomplished. It was just time for a changing of the guard.

Thank God you won't be doing the hiring for a school if you think a guy who goes 17-20 in 3 years, with his last season coming in at a horrid 4-8 is doing a good job.

Like I said previously the problem wasn't letting Fulmer go because the grass was greener, it was the replacements chosen - Kiffin/Dooley - which made no sense. Still don't.

And do you honestly think it makes a shit that Dooley's dad was a terrific college coach?

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fulmer was 19-8 the two years prior and he had a 5-7 season before being fired. In his last 4 seasons two were good and two were not. The two good seasons were sandwiched between the bad years with a 1-1 bowl record.

So yes in my opinion I think he he deserved a little more time to right that ship given his history and success there. We're in 2014 and TN seems pretty irrelevant in the CFB landscape unless you live in the state or you went there.

I'm no expert in LT athletics but from what I recall(may be wrong) Dooley took over a program that was in complete shambles and given with what you have to work he did somewhat of a commendable job including serving like assistant AD or full AD etc. I'm not saying I would have made the hire but when you go through the full recruiting and interviewing process unexpected things happen and perhaps Dooley just won that job. And it clearly doesn't make a difference what prior results are. Chizik was 5-19 at Iowa State before landing in Auburn and I distinctly remember Dennis Erickson that left Idaho after 1 season (going 4-8) landing at Arizona State.

It's rather naive to think that being the son of Vince Dooley didn't have ANY sway in the interview and hiring. Of course since things didn't work then it's easy to have hindsight at 20/20.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fulmer was 19-8 the two years prior and he had a 5-7 season before being fired. In his last 4 seasons two were good and two were not. The two good seasons were sandwiched between the bad years with a 1-1 bowl record.

So yes in my opinion I think he he deserved a little more time to right that ship given his history and success there. We're in 2014 and TN seems pretty irrelevant in the CFB landscape unless you live in the state or you went there.

I'm no expert in LT athletics but from what I recall(may be wrong) Dooley took over a program that was in complete shambles and given with what you have to work he did somewhat of a commendable job including serving like assistant AD or full AD etc. I'm not saying I would have made the hire but when you go through the full recruiting and interviewing process unexpected things happen and perhaps Dooley just won that job. And it clearly doesn't make a difference what prior results are. Chizik was 5-19 at Iowa State before landing in Auburn and I distinctly remember Dennis Erickson that left Idaho after 1 season (going 4-8) landing at Arizona State.

It's rather naive to think that being the son of Vince Dooley didn't have ANY sway in the interview and hiring. Of course since things didn't work then it's easy to have hindsight at 20/20.

I'll readily admit that I look at things through orange covered glasses. This happens when you're born and raised in Nashville, and go to school there. I make no apologizes for it.

But you're saying Fulmer deserved better when you - by your own admission - really don't know much about the program other than you can quote records. And the fact of the matter was the sentiment from near and far regarding the program was, it was something which had to be dealt with to Phil's demise. And have you noticed Fulmer never got another opportunity?

Good point about Chizik and Erickson.

Tennessee looks in a pretty position to having a winning season and going to a bowl this season, for the first time since 2010. And since we're playing 25 true freshman, and 18 additional second year players, the future looks bright.

At least through these orange colored glasses.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say orange "colored" of course. Oops.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll readily admit that I look at things through orange covered glasses. This happens when you're born and raised in Nashville, and go to school there. I make no apologizes for it.

But you're saying Fulmer deserved better when you - by your own admission - really don't know much about the program other than you can quote records. And the fact of the matter was the sentiment from near and far regarding the program was, it was something which had to be dealt with to Phil's demise. And have you noticed Fulmer never got another opportunity?

Good point about Chizik and Erickson.

Tennessee looks in a pretty position to having a winning season and going to a bowl this season, for the first time since 2010. And since we're playing 25 true freshman, and 18 additional second year players, the future looks bright.

At least through these orange colored glasses.

I don't fault you one bit in seeing things through orange colored glasses. College sports fans are some of the most crazy/irrational/knee jerky folks out there :)

It seems Fulmer was mentioned for openings but for some reason or another those didn't work out and at this point he's been out of it for some time and given his age at 64 the demand for his services is probably gradually decreasing even though it'd be silly not to give him a legitimate look. TV pays a shit ton of money for an easy job with no pressure so he's probably like screw it I"m living the life and not having to work crazy hours all year long. He's a TN guy thick and thin so maybe he doesn't have enough desire that would require him to move away from there perhaps. You're absolutely right I'm no TN booster or homer but as I've mentioned many times in this board I'm a believer in the bottom line and Fulmer's bottom line was pretty darn good. Tho I will say it's weird not seeing TN relevant as they used to be. Glad to see Jones turning that thing around. CFB is in a good place when the Vols are good.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mississippi St.vs Alabama, Auburn vs Georgia look like the games to watch for play off births this week. I'm picking Alabama and Georgia. Good luck Tech and longhorns.