• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT College Football

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOOMER!!!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma should finish in the top 5 after delivering that beat down in SEC territory.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win for Sooner. Pretty surprising on the outcome but Stoops seems to be at his best when things are against him and everybody picks against him. I'm tired of Katherine Webb and AJ's mom as well every time there is a major play involving McCarron.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Strong to Austin. Damn good hire and a damn good coach.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Strong to Austin. Damn good hire and a damn good coach.

Second tier coach. A proven winner who has already won a champonship or close should be their target. Guys like David Shaw, Jim Mora Jr. and Charlie Strong are not bad coaches, but are not what I would want for the job.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second tier coach. A proven winner who has already won a champonship or close should be their target. Guys like David Shaw, Jim Mora Jr. and Charlie Strong are not bad coaches, but are not what I would want for the job.

Problem is, none of the guys you described there are available or want to mess with Texas and their problems right now

However, Mack Brown would've been considered a 2nd tier coach at the time of his Texas hiring

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, none of the guys you described there are available or want to mess with Texas and their problems right now

However, Mack Brown would've been considered a 2nd tier coach at the time of his Texas hiring

I don't disagree with any of that. Brown for all his faults did help resurrect that program.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow Clemson is very stupid...what was that?

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I certainly would not call him a 2nd tier coach. What did Mack Brown win before coming to Austin? How about Bob Stoops? They don't need to get a coach like you've described. They need to get the best coach overall that will be able to have success in their program.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with any of that. Brown for all his faults did help resurrect that program.

I agree, but when that hire was made, I doubt ANYONE thought he would be around as long as he was and have the success he did,

He FAR surpassed expectations

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly would not call him a 2nd tier coach. What did Mack Brown win before coming to Austin? How about Bob Stoops? They don't need to get a coach like you've described. They need to get the best coach overall that will be able to have success in their program.

I don't think it end up being Charlie Strong,

Then again, I already admitted I didn't think Mack Brown would end up being Texas' savior either,

The difference is, when Mack Brown came in, expectations were even lower than they are now,

I think someone has to end up being the next "John Mackovich" before they get the next "Mack Brown"

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is Charlie Strong the best coach overall? No he's not. The program isn't in shambles like it was before Mack showed up. Not a Texas fan, but I know when you are a destination program you don't hope guys pan out. You pick guys who already have where they are now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Charlie Strong the best coach overall? No he's not. The program isn't in shambles like it was before Mack showed up. Not a Texas fan, but I know when you are a destination program you don't hope guys pan out. You pick guys who already have where they are now.

I think we're on the same page with this hiring,

I just don't think Charlie Strong will survive the expectations long enough to make his mark on the program,

But I also don't think he's a bad coach

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're on the same page with this hiring,

I just don't think Charlie Strong will survive the expectations long enough to make his mark on the program,

But I also don't think he's a bad coach

Yes, we do seem to have the same take on Strong being hired in Texas. He also has the misfortune of following a universally loved coach like Mack Brown. He will need to be successful and in a hurry. I think he's a fine coach and he's done well where he has been, but there is a world of difference between coaching in Austin and Louisville. Texas is a football state and Kentucky is a basketball state.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A while back, I remember Gary Patterson's name being frequently connected to the UT coach rumors. But that was before Mack Brown stepped down. I haven't heard his name mentioned since then. Did Patterson already give a definitive "not interested" or did TCU's poor season quiet that talk? Or was he never really a viable candidate to begin with?