• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orton wants to retire

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I wouldn't even worry about getting part of his bonus back. I'd simply make him sign an agreement he will never sign with another team. If he retires and signs with a team in 2015 or beyond he has to repay the disputed bonus.

You dont have to do that. If a player retires and then comes back the team that owned his contract when he retires owns his rights. A team would still have to trade to acquire him.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I very well could be wrong here but didn't Farves final contract with GB still have time remaining? I don't know the rule but since Orton still has one year remaining on his deal I know he cannot retire now and sign with another team for as many years he has left. I do think however that if a player retires with time remaining he becomes a FA when the remain time passes.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I very well could be wrong here but didn't Farves final contract with GB still have time remaining? I don't know the rule but since Orton still has one year remaining on his deal I know he cannot retire now and sign with another team for as many years he has left. I do think however that if a player retires with time remaining he becomes a FA when the remain time passes.

Doesnt matter if he has one year or 10 years left ... If he retires before the contract expires.... The team owns his rights if he decides to play in the future ... Hell he could sit out 5 years and decide to comeback .... Cowboys would still own his rights and a team would have to trade for him

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if Orton retires & has to give back 3 mil.
Do we get that back on to our cap?
& if so would it be this years cap or next years?

No matter what this answer is. I say let him retire.

For cap purposes it works about the same as getting released. He may have to pay back some of the bonus, but we won't get any cap relief from it. If he retired today we would have to take the rest of his Unallocated bonus as an immeditate hit to this years cap whether he pays it back or not. So as far as this year's cap goes (assuming he retires before June 1st), the impact as compared to him staying is that we save his 2014 salary, but we incur the entire rest of his bonus. So the net result is about a $1M reduction.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For cap purposes it works about the same as getting released. He may have to pay back some of the bonus, but we won't get any cap relief from it. If he retired today we would have to take the rest of his Unallocated bonus as an immeditate hit to this years cap whether he pays it back or not. So as far as this year's cap goes (assuming he retires before June 1st), the impact as compared to him staying is that we save his 2014 salary, but we incur the entire rest of his bonus. So the net result is about a $1M reduction.

Ding Ding Ding //// and we have a winner

Correct

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just so I dont have to explain this later ......

restructure bonus

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt matter if he has one year or 10 years left ... If he retires before the contract expires.... The team owns his rights if he decides to play in the future ... Hell he could sit out 5 years and decide to comeback .... Cowboys would still own his rights and a team would have to trade for him

When Tiki Barber tried to come back was he still property of the Giants?
What about Rolando McClain, there's rumors he may unretire. Will he be a FA or will teams have to give Baltimore compensation? I have no idea the status of their contracts when the retired.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Tiki Barber tried to come back was he still property of the Giants?
What about Rolando McClain, there's rumors he may unretire. Will he be a FA or will teams have to give Baltimore compensation? I have no idea the status of their contracts when the retired.

YUP and YUP

and a team has to pick them up ( or try to) then the discussion of compensation takes place

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just found Tikis contract status. He had 2 years left on his deal when he retired in 06. 2011 he announced his comeback and the Giants said they'd release him from their retired/reserve list. It does sound as though teams own players until they PLAY out the contract.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favre stayed in the news so he was high profile ... but majority of the guys that do this .... under the radar ... low round pick .... and we are talking back up Qb ...... that save no money .... it's really not a conversation

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Barry Sanders retired, I think it was the Dolphins that tried to bring him out of retirement, but the Lions still had the rights to him & wasn't gonna negotiate.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Barry Sanders retired, I think it was the Dolphins that tried to bring him out of retirement, but the Lions still had the rights to him & wasn't gonna negotiate.

also correct

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit wanted 2 1st and 2 2nds ... for a retired player ....

Sanders didn't want to play for Bobby Ross ... ( run behind a fullback) and he wanted out of Detroit .... to the extent he gave up trying to be the best ever ...... and Detroit wouldnt let him play for another team without a kings ransom ....

That's why Detroit is SHIT

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about the Sanders situation. Wasn't he in the early years of that contract? He screwed the Lions over, letting the FA period and draft pass before announcing his retirement. If I was the Lions I'd have asked for the world in compensation too.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about the Sanders situation. Wasn't he in the early years of that contract? He screwed the Lions over, letting the FA period and draft pass before announcing his retirement. If I was the Lions I'd have asked for the world in compensation too.

Disagree

Detroit had a run and shoot offence under Fouts ... (think that is how you spell his name) and Barry wasnt a "typical" Rb

Fouts out Bobby Ross in ( Natron Means running game... Power game) Barry didnt fit .... To the extent Ross pulled him out of the game inside the 20 ... How many Rbs you know that would stand for that?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree

Detroit had a run and shoot offence under Fouts ... (think that is how you spell his name) and Barry wasnt a "typical" Rb

Fouts out Bobby Ross in ( Natron Means running game... Power game) Barry didnt fit .... To the extent Ross pulled him out of the game inside the 20 ... How many Rbs you know that would stand for that?

OK but by all accounts Barry was to be their RB. He easily could have gone to management and stressed his concerns and ask for a trade. If his idea of retiring was know the team could have tried to find a RB via free agency or through the draft.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK but by all accounts Barry was to be their RB. He easily could have gone to management and stressed his concerns and ask for a trade. If his idea of retiring was know the team could have tried to find a RB via free agency or through the draft.

He did ...... They held him hostage

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the correction; but where did I say we paid his base for this year? You don't pay it, but you do count it against your cap for accounting purposes, do you not? So in that regards you do get his base back.

Onto the bonus money past and future, if he does retire IN MOST CASES all bonus money is counted against the cap the year he retires. As I mentioned I would like to look into several things before I set in concrete how this will affect our cap.

You have to know there are several loop holes around this, or every NFL player would retire after they cash in on a 25MM guaranteed contract after the first year. To that point what is the point of playing once paid and you get all money without having to pay it back; and if you didn't have to pay it back it would count against the cap, but if you did have to pay it back it wouldn't count on the cap. Try to think basic accounting, credits and debits. Ill research more then I'll let you know what I find once again like I said. I'm in Dallas for business, so give me until next week.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the correction; but where did I say we paid his base for this year? You don't pay it, but you do count it against your cap for accounting purposes, do you not? So in that regards you do get his base back.

Onto the bonus money past and future, if he does retire IN MOST CASES all bonus money is counted against the cap the year he retires. As I mentioned I would like to look into several things before I set in concrete how this will affect our cap.

You have to know there are several loop holes around this, or every NFL player would retire after they cash in on a 25MM guaranteed contract after the first year. To that point what is the point of playing once paid and you get all money without having to pay it back; and if you didn't have to pay it back it would count against the cap, but if you did have to pay it back it wouldn't count on the cap. Try to think basic accounting, credits and debits. Ill research more then I'll let you know what I find once again like I said. I'm in Dallas for business, so give me until next week.

come on man ..... Was a time you were realistic with the cap .... and I respected that
Now you always want to turn 1 million into 400 million with your "wise" ways of doing it ... None realistic of course but that is you

Real world ...... we dont save 6 million cutting Orton .... and please dont make me make you look ignorant proving it