• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orcas feeding the Sharks - Round 1 Stanley Cup Playoffs

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch - In the AV presser, it was revealed that the ref who made the call in OT is the same ref who gave AV a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct in Calgary earlier this season.

Edit: Kelly Sutherland is the ref.

Maybe he's taken over for Auger?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch - In the AV presser, it was revealed that the ref who made the call in OT is the same ref who gave AV a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct in Calgary earlier this season.

Edit: Kelly Sutherland is the ref.

LOL

I remember bitching about how awful that guy was in the WHL, god probably 10 years ago now. How the hell did he make it to the NHL?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How is it a boarding penalty when two players are coming together in attempting to get control of the puck? It doesn't matter where you call it from on the ice. Tell me how many times you see that same situation in all the games that you see in a week's time. A referee in the NHL should make a much better judgment than how that was called. This player does it in a game a day ago, but today, in the same situation, it happens again, and it's a penalty merely because the player falls down? Come on, now, it's called inconsistency, and, in many cases guessing. This league is turning into one that all a player has to do is to throw his head back and follow that with placing his hand under his visor, then bend over, to be assured that he will get the call from one of these jokers, or shake your hand to get a good chance that something will be called. This process is getting closer to those soocer matches where a guy who gets bumped flings himself on the ground and rolls around like he is in wreething pain, as though an 18-wheeler just ran him over. That kind of shit is a disgrace to the game itself; but, in the NHL, who is doing "anything" to clean it up?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FarhanLaljiTSN: Referee Kelly Sutherland on Daniel call: Deemed it a violent shove into the boards where the player couldn't defend himself from the hit.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that last call was a bad call, but no way it was a dive. Sheppard didn't propel himself head first into the boards to possibly draw a call. It was a good clean hockey hit, and a bad call, but it was what it was. I have respect for the maturity the Canucks fans on this board always seem to show. I see you guys like I see the Penguins, I always root against your team but always seem to respect your fans (at least, as they are represented on this board).

Although I have no understanding how your fanbase hates Louongo so much, he is a stud IMO.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From teh rule book:

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

And also:

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize the contact. However, in determining wheter such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Still a call that didn't have to be made at that stage of the game (especially after you let both teams play through other more obvious penalties in OT) but I don't think it's "the worst call ever"... /shrug

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only thing bad about that call was that it was made in overtime and no one was dead. otherwise that is exactly the right call to make.

If it's a penalty in regulation it should be a penalty in OT in my opinion. No point in playing with a different set of rules. The problem isn't the refs who call the same penalties in OT, it's the many times that they do not.

Other than that I agree with you. If this isn't a boarding minor penalty, I'm not sure what is. It was much more of a boarding penalty than the one that got called earlier in the game that led to anothoer Sharks PP goal. It's not the hit itself but the location of the hit. He was a dangerous distance from the boards and got knocked into them.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats sharks fans ... Stanchion karma i guess

Dont think i could ever be so down on the nhl as i am now ... After the lockout ...after all thats happened this season

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
OT 13:18 Daniel Sedin: 10 Minute Game Misconduct for Abusive Language

I hope Daniel got his money's worth.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

:L

Terrible call but by no stretch of the imagination a dive. It was nothing more than a honest puck battle. Both players positioned to initiate contact and Sedin with his momentum won the battle. Nothing more, nothing less.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it Daniel who implored the refs to "call more penalties"?

Hockey Gods with some epic GodSmacks this playoffs. I didn't think anything would top the open hander to the Habs last night.

Sorry Nucks fans, they deserved better.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch, but also well done...

ibqIqyfbMc2Y5S.gif

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*chuckle*

Philly P ‏@Philly_gp 7h @botchford if I'm an Italian construction magnate who owns a team, that gets jobbed that bad, there's a guy wearing cement boots by Monday

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*chuckle*

Philly P ‏@Philly_gp 7h @botchford if I'm an Italian construction magnate who owns a team, that gets jobbed that bad, there's a guy wearing cement boots by Monday

I thought Matt Sekeres was going to deliver Kelly Sutherland's home address to the listeners of the post-game show last night.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Terrible call but by no stretch of the imagination a dive. It was nothing more than a honest puck battle. Both players positioned to initiate contact and Sedin with his momentum won the battle. Nothing more, nothing less.

there was NO dive at all on that hit. it was an unfortunate positioning and for once a Sedin.. (you know the ones that everyone calls weak and sisters) won a battle but unfortunate he went in awkward.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Matt Sekeres was going to deliver Kelly Sutherland's home address to the listeners of the post-game show last night.

lol tried to bust into the referees room and stopped by security

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah i didnt think Wingels dove on the last penalty (the bieksa one however ... ). He was legit. hurt

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that last call was a bad call, but no way it was a dive. Sheppard didn't propel himself head first into the boards to possibly draw a call. It was a good clean hockey hit, and a bad call, but it was what it was. I have respect for the maturity the Canucks fans on this board always seem to show. I see you guys like I see the Penguins, I always root against your team but always seem to respect your fans (at least, as they are represented on this board).

Although I have no understanding how your fanbase hates Louongo so much, he is a stud IMO.

Minus the Penguins part I second this. Also when I say minus the Penguins fans I mean I don't hate the team, not minus the respect. I digress :suds: