• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Opening Series Against The Mariners April 4-6 2016

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game yesterday. (minus the lack of hitting)

Rangers win!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some may underrate the pen, but they won't for long. I think our pen is going to be the best one that I have ever witnessed myself.

Seems like most of the press has been very positive toward our pen. Did I miss something?

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if this is a new thing, or I'm just noticing it as I approach grumpy old man territory, but there seems to be an ever-increasing narrative in Rangers media that highlights - exuberantly - how successful opposing players are against the Rangers. I've noticed it in the past mostly with Busby on TV, but yesterday we listened to the postgame on the radio driving home, and Nadel seemed to be going out of his way to describe just how successful certain Mariners have been against the Rangers. Then this morning, I'm reading online recaps from Rangers writers and it's more of it as well. Just seems like I hear more about opposing players success against the Rangers than I hear more about Rangers success against the opposition.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if this is a new thing, or I'm just noticing it as I approach grumpy old man territory, but there seems to be an ever-increasing narrative in Rangers media that highlights - exuberantly - how successful opposing players are against the Rangers. I've noticed it in the past mostly with Busby on TV, but yesterday we listened to the postgame on the radio driving home, and Nadel seemed to be going out of his way to describe just how successful certain Mariners have been against the Rangers. Then this morning, I'm reading online recaps from Rangers writers and it's more of it as well. Just seems like I hear more about opposing players success against the Rangers than I hear more about Rangers success against the opposition.
I think maybe when you have to talk about it for a living the way Busby and Nadel do that that is just part of the narrative. I would imagine opposing announcers do the same. Sometimes it gets under our skins and understandably so, but I think it is what they have to do at times. There have been some major Rangers killers down through the years and sometimes they do it long enough that it does become a story all its own. I would imagine a year or two ago some Mariners fans were getting tired of always hearing about how we had manhandled Felix on several occasions.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what he was basing that on.

Several posts referred to the Rangers pen being underrated, or at least alluded to it, and I thought maybe I'd missed something. Like I said, I've read nothing but positives, both locally and nationally, regarding it.

Perhaps I missed their position. No big deal.

Lets get another win today. And get more than ONE HIT too.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe when you have to talk about it for a living the way Busby and Nadel do that that is just part of the narrative. I would imagine opposing announcers do the same. Sometimes it gets under our skins and understandably so, but I think it is what they have to do at times. There have been some major Rangers killers down through the years and sometimes they do it long enough that it does become a story all its own. I would imagine a year or two ago some Mariners fans were getting tired of always hearing about how we had manhandled Felix on several occasions.

What I hate the most is ESPN always, always finds a way to show the Cruz play against the Cards in the World Series (Which is somewhat forgivable b/c Cruz was actually playing in this game), and then in the game against the Mariners managed to work in the Andrus meltdown in the ALDS.... for what reason? I have no clue

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year we had some conversation about the potential rivalry between us and the Astros. And the discussion led to the bigger picture of Houston vs DFW. So here's what former Houstonian and now MLB.com writer,Richard Justice said about this:

The difference I think is the way the two cities look at each other. Having grown up near Dallas, I always had the feeling that Dallasites didn't even know where Houston was, didn't even know. Where as Houstonians, there's sort of an obsession with Dallas, all those Super Bowl trophies, all those TV shows and all that stuff. You think I'm right about that?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then in the game against the Mariners managed to work in the Andrus meltdown in the ALDS.... for what reason? I have no clue

Yeah, that was a load of crap, and I personally felt like it was a cheap shot which added nothing to the broadcast, nor had anything to do with yesterdays game.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year we had some conversation about the potential rivalry between us and the Astros. And the discussion led to the bigger picture of Houston vs DFW. So here's what former Houstonian and now MLB.com writer,Richard Justice said about this:

The difference I think is the way the two cities look at each other. Having grown up near Dallas, I always had the feeling that Dallasites didn't even know where Houston was, didn't even know. Where as Houstonians, there's sort of an obsession with Dallas, all those Super Bowl trophies, all those TV shows and all that stuff. You think I'm right about that?

Growing up in Fort Worth, I was always aware of Houston but it never meant a whole lot.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was a load of crap, and I personally felt like it was a cheap shot which added nothing to the broadcast, nor had anything to do with yesterdays game.

Yet was pretty obviously put in pre-production as something they wanted to bring up as a talking point

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet was pretty obviously put in pre-production as something they wanted to bring up as a talking point

True.....Didn't understand it then, and don't understand it now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mentioned the same thing a couple of days ago after JD mentioned that the fans in each of the two cities didn't like each other. I think JD was wrong. The fans in the Metroplex don't dislike the fans down there. The dislike, if it is there at all, seems to be one way.

Peter Gammons: 2016 pre-season predictions - GammonsDaily.com

“The fans in those metropolitan areas really don’t like one another,” says Jon Daniels.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years back some friends and I went down to Houston to see the Rangers play. We did that a couple of times. We never received any ill treatment from Astros fans while we were there.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years back some friends and I went down to Houston to see the Rangers play. We did that a couple of times. We never received any ill treatment from Astros fans while we were there.

Same here, they're never disrespectful though I think they take the rivalry a little more serious than us (football, baseball & basketball)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me and a buddy sat right next to 3 young men from Houston late last year and actually enjoyed their company.

This "friendliness" is certainly subject to change if their farm system proves out, and we continue to be a contender year-n-out though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me and a buddy sat right next to 3 young men from Houston late last year and actually enjoyed their company.

This "friendliness" is certainly subject to change if their farm system proves out, and we continue to be a contender year-n-out though.
On the other hand when I went to a game in Baltimore 3 years ago there was a guy sitting behind us that loudly disrespected everything about current and former Rangers players that he could come up with. His outbursts were loud and frequent just because he knew we were Rangers fans. He knew so much about former Rangers that he must have lived down here at one time. He was awful. I have never enjoyed a Rangers come from behind win in all my life as much as that one. I have to hand it to him though. When we got up to leave he told us good luck for the rest of the season.

On top of the come from behind win I also got my one and only foul ball at that game via David Murphy. I have been going to Rangers games since 1974 and it took going to Baltimore to get a foul ball.