• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Opening Series Against The Mariners April 4-6 2016

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On top of the come from behind win I also got my one and only foul ball at that game via David Murphy. I have been going to Rangers games since 1974 and it took going to Baltimore to get a foul ball.

That's funny. I've been to games since 65 and have yet to catch a foul ball. So job well done, regardless of location.

As far as the disgruntled fan was concerned there in Baltimore, I normally enjoy some "banter" back-n-forth. Usually, by the 3rd inning we're more into discussions/debates/BSing than arguing though. The notable exception would be all things Boston. Gawd what a sorry ass, unfriendly group of people they are.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny. I've been to games since 65 and have yet to catch a foul ball. So job well done, regardless of location.

As far as the disgruntled fan was concerned there in Baltimore, I normally enjoy some "banter" back-n-forth. Usually, by the 3rd inning we're more into discussions/debates/BSing than arguing though. The notable exception would be all things Boston. Gawd what a sorry ass, unfriendly group of people they are.
HaHa. I never said a word to him. But when the comeback started I cheered louder than I ever have.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been to quite a few and the closest I've come is Wrigley Field last summer... actually a batting practice HR but sentiment is the same

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually a batting practice HR but sentiment is the same

My buddy and I went in to catch Rangers BP before the game yesterday. Not a huge amount of people there for it, so we figured the chances were decent.

Two balls made it out in right field... and the same guy caught them both.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to quite a few and the closest I've come is Wrigley Field last summer... actually a batting practice HR but sentiment is the same
When I was a kid I got two BP home runs on the same day just a few minutes apart. Then I didn't get another one in BP until my son was older than I was when I got those two. lol

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone is watching the Astros' game, but the umpires just screwed the Yankees to put the Houstonians ahead 3-2 in the 8th. Or maybe the Yankees pitcher screwed himself.

If anyone else is watching, let me know what you think please.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Motherfucking astros... gonna be this way all year, I suppose.

Edit: typed that before I saw your post, Don, but feel free to consider that my reply. :D

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Motherfucking astros... gonna be this way all year, I suppose.

Edit: typed that before I saw your post, Don, but feel free to consider that my reply. :D

Well, let me ask, do you think anyone in Houston said, "Motherfucking Rangers.....how do you win with one hit? Gonna be this way all year, I suppose."

PS....Did you see the play at 1st I'm asking about?

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let me ask, do you think anyone in Houston said, "Motherfucking Rangers.....how do you win with one hit? Gonna be this way all year, I suppose."

PS....Did you see the play at 1st I'm asking about?

They should be used to our success. Their success is still fairly new. :suds:

Wasn't watching the game, but was following along online. Went from 2-0 NY to 2-2, and then 5-2 astros.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone is watching the Astros' game, but the umpires just screwed the Yankees to put the Houstonians ahead 3-2 in the 8th. Or maybe the Yankees pitcher screwed himself.

If anyone else is watching, let me know what you think please.

Big time fuck up by the umps, and of course their egos are too big to correct the call. Then they made that pathetic attempt at a make up call on the stolen base. I'm so sick of umpires. Just use technology and get the fucking calls right.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big time fuck up by the umps, and of course their egos are too big to correct the call.

Initially, I thought this too. Still do to an extent. But let me ask you this, had the pitcher hit the runner in the middle of the shoulder blades like he should have, instead of tossing it into short RF, does this change it for the umpires?

The runner was clearing inside the base path. Hell, he was on the grass the entire route. But if he'd been drilled, does this change anything, rule wise?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About to head out to game early, grab something to eat, and perhaps catch the tail end of batting practice. Hoping the offense picks up and Perez is solid. Taking a glove for the first time in a long time as well. Might actually have a shot at one of those foul balls you guys were talking about this time. GO RANGERS!!!

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About to head out to game early, grab something to eat, and perhaps catch the tail end of batting practice. Hoping the offense picks up and Perez is solid. Taking a glove for the first time in a long time as well. Might actually have a shot at one of those foul ball you guys were talking about this time. GO RANGERS!!!

Good luck on the balls.....Better luck on the win!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initially, I thought this too. Still do to an extent. But let me ask you this, had the pitcher hit the runner in the middle of the shoulder blades like he should have, instead of tossing it into short RF, does this change it for the umpires?

The runner was clearing inside the base path. Hell, he was on the grass the entire route. But if he'd been drilled, does this change anything, rule wise?

Yes. It would've left no doubt about obstruction. He should've drilled him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About to head out to game early, grab something to eat, and perhaps catch the tail end of batting practice. Hoping the offense picks up and Perez is solid. Taking a glove for the first time in a long time as well. Might actually have a shot at one of those foul balls you guys were talking about this time. GO RANGERS!!!
How about using that hat in your avi? That outta snag one. Have fun and get us a win

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Reaction: Thoughts from an Opening Day win

1. Cole Hamels’ start — seven innings, two earned runs, four hits, three walks, eight strikeouts — was a departure from his previous two Opening Day starts — 10 innings, nine earned, two losses — and might be the first step toward his goal of starting a season better.

He said during spring training that it was his plan to throw all his pitches from the outset, rather than dusting each one off a spring start at a time. The hope was that his stuff would be sharper and his command would be better earlier in the season.

Hamels, who allowed solo homers to Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager, entered Monday only 1-7 with a 5.66 ERA in the first nine April starts of his career. His career April ERA is the highest of any month.

Monday’s outing is only one start, so he’s got a way to go before anyone can declare his April woes a thing of the past. But it is something worth revisiting.

2. The one-hit thing can’t ignored, but too much is probably being made of it. Of course, it’s Opening Day, and too much is made of just about everything.

That’s baseball. Stuff happens. Really strange stuff.

“It was a weird game,” Fielder said.

Just as weird as the one hit is that Felix Hernandez walked five, including three in the three-run sixth. Or is it weird? The last time he walked five was his second to last start of 2015, a 9-2 win, but it came against the Rangers.

He didn’t walk five in any game in 2014 and had just one in 2013, against the Rangers.

Three of his past four five-walk games have been against the Rangers, who have beaten him more times than (22) than any other team. Second on the list is Anaheim, which has beaten the King 14 times.

Adrian Beltre said that Hernandez’s fastball was cutting more than usual, which is unusual, and that his mechanics were off. If anyone knows Hernandez, it’s Beltre.

Don’t lose track of the fact that the Rangers took five walks, meaning they stayed within their approach and were smart enough to realize that Hernandez was searching in the sixth inning. They took advantage and are 1-0 despite having only one hit.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers Reaction: Thoughts from an Opening Day win

1. Cole Hamels’ start — seven innings, two earned runs, four hits, three walks, eight strikeouts — was a departure from his previous two Opening Day starts — 10 innings, nine earned, two losses — and might be the first step toward his goal of starting a season better.

He said during spring training that it was his plan to throw all his pitches from the outset, rather than dusting each one off a spring start at a time. The hope was that his stuff would be sharper and his command would be better earlier in the season.

Hamels, who allowed solo homers to Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager, entered Monday only 1-7 with a 5.66 ERA in the first nine April starts of his career. His career April ERA is the highest of any month.

Monday’s outing is only one start, so he’s got a way to go before anyone can declare his April woes a thing of the past. But it is something worth revisiting.

2. The one-hit thing can’t ignored, but too much is probably being made of it. Of course, it’s Opening Day, and too much is made of just about everything.

That’s baseball. Stuff happens. Really strange stuff.

“It was a weird game,” Fielder said.

Just as weird as the one hit is that Felix Hernandez walked five, including three in the three-run sixth. Or is it weird? The last time he walked five was his second to last start of 2015, a 9-2 win, but it came against the Rangers.

He didn’t walk five in any game in 2014 and had just one in 2013, against the Rangers.

Three of his past four five-walk games have been against the Rangers, who have beaten him more times than (22) than any other team. Second on the list is Anaheim, which has beaten the King 14 times.

Adrian Beltre said that Hernandez’s fastball was cutting more than usual, which is unusual, and that his mechanics were off. If anyone knows Hernandez, it’s Beltre.

Don’t lose track of the fact that the Rangers took five walks, meaning they stayed within their approach and were smart enough to realize that Hernandez was searching in the sixth inning. They took advantage and are 1-0 despite having only one hit.

It is what it is..............a win

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice start Martin