• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. It looked bad the second the ink dried.
About the only silver lining is half their forwards are FA's after this season, they might be able to fix some of their talent issues there.
The problem when you're this bad is you don't really have anything to trade. Trading picks is risky since you could very easily continue being bad and see those picks end up being very good. Trading prospects is dumb because those are the guys who are supposed to eventually make you good.

Unlike the Habs, who I still think could clean fucking up if they decide to hit the red button and rebuild/tank, the Sabres' pending UFA's and other assets are garbage save Reinhart. It's just really bleak.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bleak as it looks for the Sabres, I think they're in better shape than the Minnesota Wild. That is a team stuck in the neutral zone of the NHL, not bad enough to get a top draft pick, not good enough to make the playoffs.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBrun wrote in The Athletic Wednesday that teams are less willing to part with first-round picks now than in the past, noting that contenders favour keeping their window open longer over an "all-in" mentality.

Only 7 of the last 20 conference finalists hadn't moved their first round pick in the lead up to that year's playoffs. What the fuck is ol' chinless going on about lol

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem when you're this bad is you don't really have anything to trade. Trading picks is risky since you could very easily continue being bad and see those picks end up being very good. Trading prospects is dumb because those are the guys who are supposed to eventually make you good.

Unlike the Habs, who I still think could clean fucking up if they decide to hit the red button and rebuild/tank, the Sabres' pending UFA's and other assets are garbage save Reinhart. It's just really bleak.
Oh very true. Their only hope is to be shrewd with FA signings to fix their forwards and we truly don't expect that.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bleak as it looks for the Sabres, I think they're in better shape than the Minnesota Wild. That is a team stuck in the neutral zone of the NHL, not bad enough to get a top draft pick, not good enough to make the playoffs.

Yeah they have no hope, hence why Kessel nixed the deal there. It is so bad they can't even get a trade partner for Zucker.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBrun wrote in The Athletic Wednesday that teams are less willing to part with first-round picks now than in the past, noting that contenders favour keeping their window open longer over an "all-in" mentality.

Only 7 of the last 20 conference finalists hadn't moved their first round pick in the lead up to that year's playoffs. What the fuck is ol' chinless going on about lol

If HOF GMJR was the GM for every team no one would have first-round picks.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they have no hope, hence why Kessel nixed the deal there. It is so bad they can't even get a trade partner for Zucker.

Well, the Flames were close to acquiring Zucker, but I think the Wild got cold feet at the last minute.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was originally just a regional game, but Sportsnet has made it a national telecast.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plan is to catch a nap during the Leafs-Stars tilt, so I am wide awake for this one.

I don't think the hype will live up to the game, if Kassian does anything stupid, he could be gone for a long, long time. You know what would be interesting is if Tkachuk and Draisaitl got in a fight, I don't think Leon has ever answered the bell for this dirty play.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2014 nobody they have drafted after the first round has over 50 NHL points. Olofsson should change that sometime soon but that’s still a lot of fails.

It also didn’t take too long for that Jeff Skinner contract to look horrible, did it.
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs when it takes a 7th rounder from years ago to (hopefully, if he can get back healthy) break that streak.

Skinner's contract was bad before, during, and after signing. It has been and will be a complete failure for the entire duration of the contract.

Okposo's contract is garbage and he still has three more years. Johansson has been...I guess we'll say underwhelming, but not completely out of expectation. Sheary was never that good, but we don't pay him much. Vesey is a clear bust who should be playing in the A somewhere.

And that's all before even moving to the blue line. Miller has been OK and Vegas practically had to give him away. Bogosian has sucked since he got here but at least is contract is finally up at the end of the season. Giving up a late first for Montour is starting (finally) to look acceptable, but he'll be looking for a raise soon.

Hell, I might argue that the best player this season aside from Eichel and Reinhart has been the $1.3M goaltender who was supposed to be the backup.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I don't think the hype will live up to the game, if Kassian does anything stupid, he could be gone for a long, long time. You know what would be interesting is if Tkachuk and Draisaitl got in a fight, I don't think Leon has ever answered the bell for this dirty play.

:ranger:

Tkachuk sold it

:10: :bolt:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs when it takes a 7th rounder from years ago to (hopefully, if he can get back healthy) break that streak.

Skinner's contract was bad before, during, and after signing. It has been and will be a complete failure for the entire duration of the contract.

Okposo's contract is garbage and he still has three more years. Johansson has been...I guess we'll say underwhelming, but not completely out of expectation. Sheary was never that good, but we don't pay him much. Vesey is a clear bust who should be playing in the A somewhere.

And that's all before even moving to the blue line. Miller has been OK and Vegas practically had to give him away. Bogosian has sucked since he got here but at least is contract is finally up at the end of the season. Giving up a late first for Montour is starting (finally) to look acceptable, but he'll be looking for a raise soon.

Hell, I might argue that the best player this season aside from Eichel and Reinhart has been the $1.3M goaltender who was supposed to be the backup.
A good goalie can go quite a ways to fix stuff.

I honestly don't know where they're supposed to go from here though. Botterill was handed dog shit but I'm honestly not sure if he's made things better at all and what the hell happens if Eichel does finally go nuclear and ask out?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames/Oilers should be good tonight. Could be an early playoff preview.

Status
Not open for further replies.