• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I just find this picture odd - Talking about changing the culture in hockey and you show a picture of three white guys?!? I mean, I'm sure there's at least one female reporter there along with at least one non-white person there.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I just find this picture odd - Talking about changing the culture in hockey and you show a picture of three white guys?!? I mean, I'm sure there's at least one female reporter there along with at least one non-white person there.

No kidding. Where is Darren Pang?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The funniest thing about this entire episode has been the Canadian media's obliviousness to how they have and continue to contribute to everything people are saying is wrong with the game.

-I can't speak for all of the local telecasts but the national broadcasts and both of the local Leaf broadcasters are hosted and "paneled" by men save "Hometown Hockey" which was initially created to give Ron Maclean something to do when Rogers wanted to get rid of him for a younger white guy.

-All but one of the aforementioned men are white, and the one black guy is given second-tier duty after the guy who thumbs-upped Don Cherry's "you people" remark.

-HNIC's handling of this subject when it first broke out was to host a panel of people of colour and then go right back to it's mostly white dude regular programming.

-Can't speak for out of town stations but of the daytime lineups on TSN & Sportsnet's radio stations in Toronto I think there are two female hosts. I don't think there are any people of colour on either station.

At least look like you're trying.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
-HNIC's handling of this subject when it first broke out was to host a panel of people of colour and then go right back to it's mostly white dude regular programming.
I watched that out of car-wreck curiosity. It was utterly ridiculous.

You're black, what do you think?
You're kind of black, what do you think?
You're a black woman, what do you think?

Well, unless we have any handicapped black people, i think we're done here.
Good job everyone.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that bothers me is the cull at HNIC was not enough and by that I mean Ron Maclean should be gone as well. I realize it's not going to happen because the older people love Ron and his aw shucks nature, but he was an enabler for Don Cherry's behavior for a lot of years and to get off with a rambling nonsensical sort-of apology just doesn't seem right. It's a shame because I think they have some talented people at CBC/Sportsnet, but they aren't getting a chance as long as Mr. Cringe is there.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I went to school with a LOT of non-WASP (remember that term?) kids. I certainly never thought of "black" as the only minority in my school much less the Country. So I scratched my head, used the Internet (thanks Al Gore) and found this interesting piece.

Hockey Night in Canada's Punjabi broadcast seeks to reunite fans after Don Cherry's firing | CBC Radio

Interesting take on the "one week and its blown over" situation.
Yeah but this was before we found out an active coach was using racial slurs toward professional players.

Well, unless we have any handicapped black people, i think we're done here.
Good job everyone.
I found all the hockey media guys giving it a pat on the back on Twitter to be equally hilarious. Like a Rogers exec was scrolling his timeline and saw “welp, 20 middle aged white hockey media guys thought it hit the spot, I’m off to Harbour Sixty!”.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has there ever been a better threesome on the defense corps than Lapointe, Savard, and Robinson?!? And if you managed to get by those guys, then you had to beat Dryden. No wonder the Habs won four straight Cups in the late 70s.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, those Montreal teams back then were loaded. Lafleur on the wing, Robinson on defense, Dryden in net. That's an amazing trio there for sure.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Jeff Blashill hanging onto his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.