• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it highlights society in general.

Honestly I believe that was probably the mindset of some of the people that "knew". Male on male sexual assault / harassment is often still scoffed at or not believed. 12 years ago it was even worse. "He could have stopped that if he really wanted to, I could have"...so I bet a roomful of athletes/ former athletes had a hard time believing the accounts happened as reported. So I bet some of the people involved kept quiet not because they are terrible awful people, but probably because they didn't want to throw their coworkers, colleagues, and friends under the bus for a story they did not quite believe.

They were still wrong, and take them all down - I don't care and maybe that would even help. But I don't necessarily buy into the argument that everyone who kept quiet was/is a terrible person or knowingly doing wrong.
I dont really buy any of this. Graham James happened years before this incident and theo fleurys book about the abuse he faced came out like 6 months prior to the incident that happened to kyle beach. It was fresh in the public realm and talked about in the hockey world.

I think anyone who didnt say anything at the time to help kyle beach and hold the abuser accountable acted out of sheer self interest. There was a victim here and inaction caused for there to be a another 16 year old to be harmed 3 years after.

And the only person weeping for and apologizing to the second victim is the first victim

Im sorry .. maybe im being melo/hyper dramatic but people who didnt say anything imo are selfish scum :noidea:

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I bet some of the people involved kept quiet not because they are terrible awful people, but probably because they didn't want to throw their coworkers, colleagues, and friends under the bus

At the time it wasnt plural … it was one video coach in question … they (execs) did a moral calculation and chose to not believe the victim because they didnt want the distraction to their cup run … thats what they said and felt … its documented … theyre shitty humans imo

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont really buy any of this. Graham James happened years before this incident and theo fleurys book about the abuse he faced came out like 6 months prior to the incident that happened to kyle beach. It was fresh in the public realm and talked about in the hockey world.

I think anyone who didnt say anything at the time to help kyle beach and hold the abuser accountable acted out of sheer self interest. There was a victim here and inaction caused for there to be a another 16 year old to be harmed 3 years after.

And the only person weeping for and apologizing to the second victim is the first victim

Im sorry .. maybe im being melo/hyper dramatic but people who didnt say anything imo are selfish scum :noidea:
That's fine, I am just not sure everyone who heard about it believed it all or believed it happened the way they were told - whether by being mislead by others or by misleading themselves thinking this could not happen to a man that size (because it could never ever happen to me!). If someone is not sure exactly what happened I am not surprised if they do not speak up.

Now if someone actually knew or believed the account told and reported as true and did not speak up for whatever reasons, than that is pretty awful.

And I know the Fleury and James stuff had come out previously but many people still have issues understanding sexual harassment or assault on men.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine, I am just not sure everyone who heard about it believed it all or believed it happened the way they were told - whether by being mislead by others or by misleading themselves thinking this could not happen to a man that size (because it could never ever happen to me!). If someone is not sure exactly what happened I am not surprised if they do not speak up.

Now if someone actually knew or believed the account told and reported as true and did not speak up for whatever reasons, than that is pretty awful.

And I know the Fleury and James stuff had come out previously but many people still have issues understanding sexual harassment or assault on men.
Graham james was a short tub of goo who assaulted 2 (more actually) strong young men by exercising his power of position to threaten their careers … thats what happened here :noidea: i think they chose not to believe because hockey is all about the team and not the one guy/individual who might be seen or already is seen as a troublemaker/outlier

Maybe i should be attacking the sports culture in general instead of the execs i guess. I still think in the moment they were shitty to not act.

But yes I also do see this as a possible worst case example of groupthink coming up with the worst irrational and immoral decision possible.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure this NHL executive spoke to Westhead on the condition of anonymity, but it again highlights the toxicity of hockey culture...

People in positions of power not realizing the imbalance of power doesn't refer to physical strength is pretty much the core of the problem. In fact the physical imbalance is the least of the destructive ways someone can exert their power over another person.

Westhead is doing an amazing job leading this story, but part of me wants him to name and shame this dinosaur. I get why he isn't but I wish he would.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in from Rogers Arena...

Zz2Kah6.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oilers have a good PP and that's it. 5-on-5 they are not a good team.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Blue Jackets defense for tonight's game in Jersey:

Werenski - Bayreither
Gavrikov - Peeke
Carlsson - Harrington

And the goalie is Korpisalo.

Let me be the first to congratulate New Jersey on their win.

Status
Not open for further replies.