• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I have this right the new NHL deals split streaming into two different services, HBO Max and Disney+?! Can't wait to see how well that one works out.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I have this right the new NHL deals split streaming into two different services, HBO Max and Disney+?! Can't wait to see how well that one works out.
The only reason there was any kind of push for the rights is because these companies want to sell streaming and kill cable once and for all. They don't care about the sport (or who the captain of the Oilers is), they just know that people aren't gonna shell out money for re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond. Sports will draw them in.

I will say the Disney/ESPN/Hulu empire does give decent value for what you pay. Not sure about HBO because I have the Wire box set and I can't think of anything else HBO owns that I am dying to watch again. Certainly not gonna get drawn in by Bryant Gumbel.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"JOHNSON! Get in here. We need a graphic"
"Okay, what do you need?"
"We need to advertise our partnership with the NHL"
"The what?"
"NHL. Hockey"
"What's a hockey?"
"I don't know. It's popular with the beaver people of the north or something. Just get pictures of the captain of the Capitols and the Oilers. I think they're in Houston. Whatever. I understand those two are popular, and the league only promote two players ever. They wear a "C" on the front of their shirts."
"Got it"

Post of the year Candidate!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disney plus has over 100 million subscribers. Nbcsn had 79 million before they had their life support cut

/this push to streaming packages is all about timing. Broadcasters are banking on hooking people in now and keeping them in a post covid world where all our old entertainment options return. I dont see that happening. :noidea: I really dont see people keeping all these services when live sports, theatre, concerts, and other live events return to close to pre covid event attendance capacities

Last edited:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disney plus has over 100 million subscribers. Nbcsn had 79 million before they had their life support cut

/this push to streaming packages is all about timing. Broadcasters are banking on hooking people in now and keeping them in a post covid world where all our old entertainment options return. I dont see that happening. :noidea: I really dont see people keeping all these services when live sports, theatre, concerts, and other live events return to close to pre covid event attendance capacities
It would be great if I could pay per channel I want watch and was allowed to choose from a global menu of channels. I'd pick things like CBC, BBC, Sky Sports, Channel 4, etc. With a global Internet operating at the speed of light, there's no technical reason not to.

The reason is advertisers want to be able to reach "relevant" customers. I am not sure i have ever been prompted to buy anything because of a commercial, in fact very repetitive commercials just annoy me to the point where I develop life-long rivalries with certain companies (Fuck you, Flo from Progressive). I would be immensely amused by the local adverts for Sky Sports Oxford.

There are exactly 2 reasons I still have cable: 1) It was essentially free when I upgraded to gigabit internet (with bundle) and 2) It was required to use the local Fox Sports app to watch Jackets games when away from home. That's it. Now Fox made way for Bally's and I don't need that one anymore.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you, beaver person of the north.
cartoon-beaver-with-canadian-flag-vector-id179518389

Status
Not open for further replies.