• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're being fair, three of the last four years when they lost in the first round, they were matched up against the eventual SC champion.

How many different coaches and GMs have teams like Buffalo and Toronto gone through to have the same or (in Buffalo's case, significantly) worse results?
Toronto’s been through three GM’s in the same time period and lost in basically every playoff to similarly competitive teams (Boston went to the Final twice after beating Toronto, the Caps won the Cup the next year).

Also, the Leafs were in the top 5 in league standings two of those times, they just fell victim to the league’s idiotic playoff system.

Anyway, in short I understand your point and my response would be more GM’s deserve to be fired and don’t which makes the league boring and repetitive. These guys don’t take risks and get rewarded with undue job security.

They have committed to him, but like I said the rumors are he's retiring after this season. Even if he doesn't, they probably won't renew him. If they do, then Jarmo probably should be fired.
I meant Jarmo. Like I mentioned above, if he at least had regular season records to back him up okay but Columbus’ best finish in the conf during that time was 3rd, then 7th. Kinda the definition of the last paragraph above, guys getting really long leashes to be unimpressive.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's what I don't get - things like this are based on "expected" goals against. So in order to make Joonas Korpisalo look great in advanced stats, I just need to expect him to give up 12 per game. So that way, when he only gives up 6 he'll look awesome?

I imagine that it is quite difficult for a team to play shitty enough in front of the goalie to produce a 12 goal against expectation.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"I still got the bug"

magic johnson thumbs up GIF by Team Coco

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do I look nervous? No Jordan, you look pissed lol

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do I look nervous? No Jordan, you look pissed lol

is it me or does anyone else find that to be rather gutless and cowardly? you want to be hard, a tough guy don't use your equipment to hit a guy and don't immediately skate away.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is it me or does anyone else find that to be rather gutless and cowardly? you want to be hard, a tough guy don't use your equipment to hit a guy and don't immediately skate away.
I like the fire in the guy but I agree, don’t skate away. That made it seem more like a tantrum than a statement.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the chirp was from the bench? It must have been a heckuva lot worse than Gio telling Connor Brown to "Hit the gym" :D

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
yeah, he had absolutely zero interest in actually getting involved
binninton's a bitch.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Something has to give in Buffalo soon, the situation there is becoming untenable.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something has to give in Buffalo soon, the situation there is becoming untenable.
Becoming? That team should not be equal on points with Ottawa lol.

Krueger might be the best scam artist in sports - parlayed a shitty short NHL coaching tenure into running a god damn EPL team into getting accolades for coaching a stacked U23 team to some success to somehow being hailed as a genius coach and given all types of leeway over another NHL team.

Fuck I’d do anything to fail that far upwards.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't read behind the pay wall, but I'm guessing it's calling for Krueger getting the hook?

I don't want him to stay around, but shit-canning another coach halfway into a shortened second season doesn't seem like it would do much.

Their schedule is so ridiculously compressed already, that I just don't see any benefit to making a mid-season change other than sending a message since the new guy won't have time to make any serious changes.

And I know there's always someone who is willing to take the job, even in a dumpster fire like this, but canning coaches every two years or less isn't sustainable.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

An excerpt from the piece...

So, is it coaching?

“No, coach isn’t on the ice, we’re on the ice,” Eichel said. “Moving the puck, executing, it just seems like we’re off. It doesn’t seem like we’re on the same page.”

Despite coaching in a results-driven league, Ralph Krueger is not concerned about his status.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “I’m not wired that way, just so you know. I’m wired to work on solutions and take responsibility, and I do both right now.”

If Adams and owners Terry and Kim Pegula decide the problems are with the coach, there are two major impediments to change:

1. Quarantine
  2. Money
A coaching change this season isn’t as simple as calling Bruce Boudreau, Gerard Gallant or Claude Julien. They’d have to quarantine once arriving in Buffalo, a process that would take at least a week and maybe two.

Meanwhile, the Sabres have seven games in the next 13 days.

The organization could summon Rochester coach Seth Appert on an interim basis, but he has a mere six games of professional experience. The Amerks staff also features first-year assistants Adam Mair and Mike Weber.

Sabres brass would have to turn the reins over to a novice or quietly bring the next coach to town and have him quarantine in secret while Krueger was on the bench.

Krueger also has one more season on his contract at nearly $4 million per year, according to The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun. The Pegulas have a long history of throwing money away on coaches and GMs, but financial losses are already huge in the pandemic era. Though they might be OK letting Krueger go in the offseason, would they bother now since the playoffs seem out of reach anyway?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A coaching change this season isn’t as simple as calling Bruce Boudreau, Gerard Gallant or Claude Julien. They’d have to quarantine once arriving in Buffalo, a process that would take at least a week and maybe two.
Are they all in Canada or does New York have strict travel rules?

Torts is in the USA

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they all in Canada or does New York have strict travel rules?

Torts is in the USA
Boudreau and Julien definitely are. No idea about Gallant.

Anyway, there's not really any reason for them to go out and hire a marquee coach right now anyway. Do a proper search with the GM, interviews, talk about offseason targets and moves. If they go out looking for a coach now and wind up having to move Eichel that alone kinda blows everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.