• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yaks best was his OT goal celebration
Stefans best was missing an open net

Judging purely from a hockey standpoint Stefan>Yak as Stefans most impressive moment was during the course of NHL play while Yaks happened after.
In that same vein, I’m not sure where Bobby Lou’s shitting his pants fits in as it was during the course of play but not on the ice.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, Gagner, RNH - Not a bad collection of forwards to play with.

Not bad but the team was a mess. It sure looks like Nail just isn't that good but I think his development and usage by the Oilers contributed to that.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad but the team was a mess. It sure looks like Nail just isn't that good but I think his development and usage by the Oilers contributed to that.

No doubt that was a significant factor - Imagine what a mess the team would still be if they didn't luck out by winning the McWonderful lottery.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disgracing your number as well I see.

After Tom Wilson, the legacy is in shambles.

Patrik Stefan or Nail Yakupov as bigger bust. Who y'all got?
Stefan, for me. I think some people had a sense that Nail was a head case. Stefan just failed.

Bob Hartley gets to yell at Nail now

/Like it'll make any difference lol
And he gets to play with fellow first round pick China Cough.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was such a dumbass that Lindros refused to play for him.

Ironically, that is what turned them into a powerhouse.
Lindros used that as an excuse later on but I've never bought it. Guy just didn't want to go there, just like he didn't want to go to the Soo in Junior. And that's fine. It eventually worked out for everybody. I get that fans would be upset but if you honestly think you're going to be miserable somewhere why wouldn't you do something about it if you can?

Ron Hextall openly said he was terrified at the prospect of having to move his family to QC and then had to do just that, loved it there and then got moved again. Life is weird sometimes.

I think the main question is whether Aubut could have kept them profitable and made them competitive after the Lindros deal given the difficult climate the (not Toronto or Montreal) Canadian teams were facing at the time. I doubt they could have sustained long enough to make it to the cap years given how many big salaries the Avs ended up having to pay.
The first big domino that never would've fallen is Roy never would've been traded to the Nords. There's no chance the Habs would've done that. That changes everything about what happened next for the franchise.

Second, no, they almost certainly would not have been able to keep everyone. But they could've traded them. Obviously no way of knowing what kind of returns they could've gotten (keep in mind that the late 90s drafts were pretty shit overall, they would've had to have struck gold repeatedly to get even half-decent value out of any draft picks traded to them) but other teams (especially Edmonton) survived using that strategy.

The biggest thing would've been a new barn though and Quebec's economy was wonky even after the rest of Canada started booming in the 2000s. I don't know how much sooner that might've happened before it finally did 5 years ago and that may have ultimately doomed the team anyway.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<Alexandre Daigle has joined the conversation>

<Rick DiPietro was too busy looking at his buyout chart and laughing to be reached for comment>

Those guys look like stars compared to Nail and Open net Stef.

Daigle's hype was off the charts so maybe in a way he is a bigger bust but he was ~0.55 PPG over his career.

Dipietro was beyond stupid as the #1 OA pick. They picked a goalie because of how well he could handle the puck. LMAO. Milbury's gonna Milbury I guess. But Dipietro had a couple of good seasons at least.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first big domino that never would've fallen is Roy never would've been traded to the Nords. There's no chance the Habs would've done that. That changes everything about what happened next for the franchise.

Second, no, they almost certainly would not have been able to keep everyone. But they could've traded them. Obviously no way of knowing what kind of returns they could've gotten (keep in mind that the late 90s drafts were pretty shit overall, they would've had to have struck gold repeatedly to get even half-decent value out of any draft picks traded to them) but other teams (especially Edmonton) survived using that strategy.

The biggest thing would've been a new barn though and Quebec's economy was wonky even after the rest of Canada started booming in the 2000s. I don't know how much sooner that might've happened before it finally did 5 years ago and that may have ultimately doomed the team anyway.
Good point. Doubtful they win that year with Thibault between the pipes and there's a whole web of what-ifs associated with them not winning that first year.

Montreal got pretty well bent over a barrel as it was, imagine what the 2nd best offer was.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys look like stars compared to Nail and Open net Stef.

Daigle's hype was off the charts so maybe in a way he is a bigger bust but he was ~0.55 PPG over his career.

Dipietro was beyond stupid as the #1 OA pick. They picked a goalie because of how well he could handle the puck. LMAO. Milbury's gonna Milbury I guess. But Dipietro had a couple of good seasons at least.
I think that's what makes Daigle stand out. Stefan and Yakupov were definitely seen as guys who legitimately could be #1 overall, definitely top-3, Daigle was an overwhelming consenus #1.

And when you look at Yak, the rest of the top 10 of that class was a bit of a dud too, so the "instead of" factor isn't nearly as high. Even with Stefan, if the Thrashers had no legit chance at both Sedins, their alternatives were mostly garbage too.

Then you've got the tanking allegations, Daigle's "nobody remembers #2" comment, and the fact that Pronger and Kariya went in two of the next three spots.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meanwhile Jonathan Toews be like:

tenor.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weirder because if they put even a replacement-level goalie in net I think they're a wild card contender at the very least.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weirder because if they put even a replacement-level goalie in net I think they're a wild card contender at the very least.
I would happily give them Korpisalo if we could swing Murphy coming back.

Then we could move Savard in a trade to get Laine

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks gonna flip into that R gear THAT NO OTHER TEAM HAS!!!

I guess there are tweets out there that are suggesting that Rocky Wirtz is the worst owner in Blackhawks history.

/Do these people not remember 'Dollar' Bill Wirtz (Rocky's dad) who blacked out home games?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a few busts in NHL draft history, I think Yakupov might be the biggest bust in recent NHL draft history though.

Status
Not open for further replies.