• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with Rask quitting and Lafreniere going to the Rangers I thinks Jeff “Chief” Sly is a Rangers fan again. :D:dhd:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with Rask quitting and Lafreniere going to the Rangers I thinks Jeff “Chief” Sly is a Rangers fan again. :D:dhd:

his love Mischa could still go either way :sly:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else having a hard time watching these playoffs? I'm just really not into it.

Literally for the first time since I started watching hockey I missed the first two games of a Caps' series. Partly busy at work right now, but totally could have watched the last two periods of game 2 the other night and forgot about it until it had ended.

I'd normally be upset about the Caps being down 2-0. I'd normally have been trash talking the hell out of the Pens losing a preliminary round. I thought when hockey came back I'd be super excited about it and thankful for some normalcy. But I'm just not. If we get knocked out, I won't much care. If we win it all, it'd be like... yay*?

I don't know if it's that the games seem like scrimmages without any crowd noise. Or that a sudden startup after months off right into the playoffs doesn't seem legit in some way. Maybe it's not being able to watch and experience it all with friends and family. Maybe because the Caps and Nats have both won this all feels like gravy now and there isn't the pressure/hope for the outcome we had never experienced. Or maybe it just seems so unimportant in comparison to 150,000+ people being dead and a blatant liar/moron being the President.

It's probably a combination of all of those things. I wish I cared about it, but I just don't..

How are y'all feeling about the playoffs so far? The same? So happy for something to watch?

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else having a hard time watching these playoffs? I'm just really not into it.

Literally for the first time since I started watching hockey I missed the first two games of a Caps' series. Partly busy at work right now, but totally could have watched the last two periods of game 2 the other night and forgot about it until it had ended.

I'd normally be upset about the Caps being down 2-0. I'd normally have been trash talking the hell out of the Pens losing a preliminary round. I thought when hockey came back I'd be super excited about it and thankful for some normalcy. But I'm just not. If we get knocked out, I won't much care. If we win it all, it'd be like... yay*?

I don't know if it's that the games seem like scrimmages without any crowd noise. Or that a sudden startup after months off right into the playoffs doesn't seem legit in some way. Maybe it's not being able to watch and experience it all with friends and family. Maybe because the Caps and Nats have both won this all feels like gravy now and there isn't the pressure/hope for the outcome we had never experienced. Or maybe it just seems so unimportant in comparison to 150,000+ people being dead and a blatant liar/moron being the President.

It's probably a combination of all of those things. I wish I cared about it, but I just don't..

How are y'all feeling about the playoffs so far? The same? So happy for something to watch?

im with you Eloco I haven’t been able to get into it at all this time around.Even if the Caps were winning as I also like the Cubs ( no team in DC as a tot) and they are kicking ass and I just don’t really give a shit about either sport right now

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it sure feels different. Thankfully my team has been doing some pretty notable stuff to engage me a bit more. But honestly, I am more focused on getting my kids off and running in school (one to college one to High School), and trying to figure out what I am going to do without having any of my kids playing hockey for the first time in 11 years.

All things being equal, I would have preferred they just called it and tried again in October.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was meh on it all when it was still in the planning stage thinking the nhl would fuck this all up. Also thought id have much better stuff to do with my summer evenings and nights. I quickly learned i dont have better things to do in a pandemic lol ive watched alot more hockey these past couple weeks. And its not just because the team i cheer for is on an extreme roll. Ive watched the other series too ... EVEN FLAMES GAMES FOR FUCKS SAKES WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!???

hockey watching has taken over from the time that would usually have been spent with friends and family. No weekend bbqs, visits or meeting up at the park and drinking while our kids play at the playground ... instead i drink alone lol Still have group texts going during the game though. Also this is the first canucks playoff series where my son knows what the hell is going on and ive really enjoyed watching the games with him and seeing him lose his shit on the refs ... especially for parts of yesterdays game

fair play to the nhl so far. Theyve put on a pretty good show

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, not as into it as previous years, but it's a nice reason to go somewhere for a couple beers.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The toughest trophy in sports to win just got a little less tough this year IMO. The war of attrition was interrupted, the season shortened, the draft homogenized, and the fan excitement nullified. The pandemic has shifted my priorities temporarily.

I would have preferred to just call it off as well and start over next season.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
The toughest trophy in sports to win just got a little less tough this year IMO.
Disagree. All teams had the same healing period, so it's a level playing field, and you don't run up against a team that is decimated already.

Also, my team along with 7 others has already been through an extra elimination round. If anything, that could make it harder.

As for eloco's question, I'm enjoying and watching a ton of the hockey. I watched a lot of classic games during the break, and am feasting on the playoffs.
Part my team is doing well, part enjoying a bit of normalcy, part locked in the house anyway

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good takes all.

2020 has been a year like no other. Certainly the biggest disruption to normalcy I have ever experienced. 9/11 is the only thing even close.

I am enjoying the hockey. It’s helping me return to normalcy. So far in 2020, I have: WFH for 5 months and counting, had my pay cut 50%, and have at times probably suffered from clinical depression. Have had to cancel 2 vacations to Hawaii and 3 trips to Vegas. I even read a book for the first time in years.

I missed hockey but now it’s back. And it’s like it never left. TOR disappointed in spectacular fashion. As did EDM and PIT. I love the March Madness format of the Elimination round and First round. I finally have seen the Canucks play. And watch some former Leafs still playing, like Kadri, Reimer, Gardner, Kessel, etc.

2020 has messed up a lot of things, but I find it has renewed my enjoyment of hockey.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted them to cancel the season, I thought that's what they should have done. If pressed I probably still feel that way. However I enjoyed the play in round (elimination Friday!) and have enjoyed the playoffs. This is different from other years though. When i watch the games I'm very much into them. But when the games are over I'm not thinking about them as much as I normally have in years past.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying attention to it and watched a number of games with some cheering for good games. but for the most part it does not seem like normal playoff hockey.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. All teams had the same healing period, so it's a level playing field, and you don't run up against a team that is decimated already.
That's exactly the war of attrition I mean, and what makes the SC so special. Let's make every season a 5 game play-in round when everyone is equally healthy in October. Then each playoff series can be spread out with a month break in between to allow teams an equal chance to get fully healthy for the next round. The seeding can be determined by how the team performed months prior (last round they played).

Nope, that's how this setup felt.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
That's exactly the war of attrition I mean, and what makes the SC so special. Let's make every season a 5 game play-in round when everyone is equally healthy in October. Then each playoff series can be spread out with a month break in between to allow teams an equal chance to get fully healthy for the next round. The seeding can be determined by how the team performed months prior (last round they played).

Nope, that's how this setup felt.
I can understand that. It started out different, but the attrition will get there.
Canucks have used 22 skaters already, 23rd likely to come tomorrow.

by the time you get a couple rounds deep, everyone will have their battle scars.
I don't mind that everyone started fresh this time. It's a unique situation for sure, but doesn't take anything away - for me, anyway.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've struggled with the fact that normally following a layoff of that length, I get to look forward to watching my team play in a new season (with my hopes not yet fully crushed).

But instead of that, I'm jumping back into what feels like a new season, but with only teams I don't really care about. Hell, other than the Bruins I barely even have anyone to cheer against this year, because most of the teams I hate are already out too.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t make much of it for the risk of sounding like a bitter Leaf fan but the fact the Leafs/Jackets and Flames/Jets played a “play-in round” despite the fact both were playoff teams at the shutdown is kind of infuriating. The grind meant nothing and one of you won’t get to participate based on the most asinine of qualifications and circumstances and this doesn’t apply to other teams in your same circumstance.

But, beyond that, I just hope this makes the league realize how important the fans and fan experience is to the game and start making changes to keep fans happy and stop sapping them for every fucking dollar. I know that’s wishful thinking but it would be a nice development out of all of this.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted them to cancel the season, I thought that's what they should have done. If pressed I probably still feel that way. However I enjoyed the play in round (elimination Friday!) and have enjoyed the playoffs. This is different from other years though. When i watch the games I'm very much into them. But when the games are over I'm not thinking about them as much as I normally have in years past.
@jstewismybastardson PM'd me* to tell me he feels the same way about his clown p*rn. When he's watching it he likes it as much as ever, but when its over he doesn't think about it 24-7 like he used to

*he couldn't post his comments himself because his WebTV is acting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.