• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this wasn't exactly a banner year for first time eligibility, I thought this would be the year Mogilny got the call.

If he hadn't had so many injury problems, I don't think it'd even be a discussion. But on-ice stats and being a Triple Gold aside, I don't think he's getting enough credit for being the first Soviet player to defect and for later being - albeit briefly - the first Russian-born captain.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vinny will never get in because of the steroids thing.

Pretty obvious when you look at his stats that he was juicing. Never had more than 98 PIMs in a season, then all of a sudden he hits 158 PIMs in 95-96. Roid rage is the only way to explain that kind of one season spike on the "old time hockey" meter.

Totally juicing

For all you Burrows fans out there :D

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this wasn't exactly a banner year for first time eligibility, I thought this would be the year Mogilny got the call.

If he hadn't had so many injury problems, I don't think it'd even be a discussion. But on-ice stats and being a Triple Gold aside, I don't think he's getting enough credit for being the first Soviet player to defect and for later being - albeit briefly - the first Russian-born captain.

Mogilny's story alone is something that should be told in the Hall for all time. It's ridiculous how much risk he took to come over here. And how many doors he opened.

Not to mention how great he was on the ice.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also until 2018-19 had the single best season (pts) for any Russian born player with 127.

Added he was a point per game player with over 900 games played.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Also until 2018-19 had the single best season (pts) for any Russian born player with 127.

Added he was a point per game player with over 900 games played.
he also went a calendar year scoring more than a goal per game.
dude was ridiculous.

but he's no kevin lowe.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he also went a calendar year scoring more than a goal per game.
dude was ridiculous.

but he's no kevin lowe.

I mean, if you said Paul Reinhart should be in the Hall of Fame, you'd be crazy, but he blows away the numbers Kevin Lowe put up in about 600 less games. Just because a guy is along for the ride and winning Stanley Cups doesn't mean he's a Hall of Famer.

/yeah, it still bothers me

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if you said Paul Reinhart should be in the Hall of Fame, you'd be crazy, but he blows away the numbers Kevin Lowe put in about 600 less games. Just because a guy is along for the ride and winning Stanley Cups doesn't mean he's a Hall of Famer.

Me too buddy.

Adjusting for era I'd put Chris Phillips as a better overall player than Kevin Lowe. If the Sens had somehow won 5 Cups during Phillips career I'd:

1. Be happier than a pig in shit.

2. Never in a million years suggest that Chris Phillips should be in the HHOF.

It's just such a bad choice. I think among the NHL players eligible this year he'd have been last on my ballot.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
It's just such a bad choice. I think among the NHL players eligible this year he'd have been last on my ballot.
the guy in my hockey group chat's last retort was "yeah well there's the GM and builder stuff for Lowe too"

I didn't bother responding because I already had a headache.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy in my hockey group chat's last retort was "yeah well there's the GM and builder stuff for Lowe too"

I didn't bother responding because I already had a headache.

I can understand the headache, but I wish you would have asked him he thought the GM and builder stuff strengthened or weakened Lowe's chances.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like riveting television

(of course, my family has been watching game shows from the 1970's lately)

If Kathryn is handling the balls I will probably watch, I won't even care that there's three of them :wink:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I can understand the headache, but I wish you would have asked him he thought the GM and builder stuff strengthened or weakened Lowe's chances.
someone else in the chat picked up the torch, but it kind of fizzled

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if you said Paul Reinhart should be in the Hall of Fame, you'd be crazy, but he blows away the numbers Kevin Lowe put up in about 600 less games. Just because a guy is along for the ride and winning Stanley Cups doesn't mean he's a Hall of Famer.

On that note from more modern day does this mean Chris Kunitz a HOF'er? You know asking for a friend who thinks so.

:behindsofa::burt:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Mogilny's story alone is something that should be told in the Hall for all time. It's ridiculous how much risk he took to come over here. And how many doors he opened.

Not to mention how great he was on the ice.
https://SportsHoopla.com/y9a7v7q6 (sportsnet: Mogilny snubs becoming laughable)

“He deserves that honour (of being in the HHOF),” Fedorov said when he was inducted in 2015. “Alex was faster than all of us and Alex was a machine. He was built like a machine. Plus on top of all the crazy skill he had, he’s better than all of us. He’s amazing.”

I heard Pavel Bure say the same thing.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with Mogilny if they used the fact about never playing a whole season couldn't the same have been said about Lemieux? :noidea:

Really nonsensical that he isn't in and no clue what any legit excuse they would have.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note from more modern day does this mean Chris Kunitz a HOF'er? You know asking for a friend who thinks so.

:behindsofa::burt:

You really can't be surrounding yourself with that kind of negativity.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise that Flames - Canucks game are spirited affairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.