• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol...sorry I was lazy and didn’t see your answer. Good call on that!
My problem was taking it as leading the league also.

It's wild how numbers have changed. I remember as a kid my high school gave me shirts with 81 and 37 (for high school sports I had a weird knack for never being there when numbers got picked, part of why I liked rugby :wink: ). Back then with those numbers in my bag I was asked at my MTHL practices how many TDs I was gonna catch and if my shower sandals had fungus (Laloosh). Nowadays that's just Kessel and Bergeron.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's wild how numbers have changed. I remember as a kid my high school gave me shirts with 81 and 37 (for high school sports I had a weird knack for never being there when numbers got picked, part of why I liked rugby :wink: ). Back then with those numbers in my bag I was asked at my MTHL practices how many TDs I was gonna catch and if my shower sandals had fungus (Laloosh). Nowadays that's just Kessel and Bergeron.

I always had the highest number on the teams I played on (34). It was the highest number we were allowed to have, and I never seemed to get #29 like I wanted. Then there was a select team I made and the other goalie already had 34, and 29 was also taken so I begged to swap my 34 for 43 (Superstition didn't want me to completely switch numbers). They let me.

Around then 66, 77 and 99 started showing up on every team.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always had the highest number on the teams I played on (34). It was the highest number we were allowed to have, and I never seemed to get #29 like I wanted. Then there was a select team I made and the other goalie already had 34, and 29 was also taken so I begged to swap my 34 for 43 (Superstition didn't want me to completely switch numbers). They let me.

Huh. I had you pegged as a 20 kind of guy :noidea:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was just thinking about it and I actually think I can remember every number I've worn. I'm a little unsure about minor peewee and there's a half season in minor atom/squirt I'm a little dicey on but that's it. Kind of nuts.

My high school team was actually the only place I wore high numbers until men's league, I never wore anything higher than 22 in college, MTHL or younger.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh. I had you pegged as a 20 kind of guy :noidea:

29 was the number my Grandfather wore when he played in MLB. And since Ken Dryden was still widely loved at the time I started playing, 29 seemed like a good choice. I wore it when I played baseball.

When I couldn't get 29, I just took the highest number I could get. Never thought to ask for 20.

I was just thinking about it and I actually think I can remember every number I've worn. I'm a little unsure about minor peewee and there's a half season in minor atom/squirt I'm a little dicey on but that's it. Kind of nuts.

My high school team was actually the only place I wore high numbers until men's league, I never wore anything higher than 22 in college, MTHL or younger.

Baseball I wore 29, except one year I wore 24 in honor of Rick Dempsey as a catcher for my High School (went back to 29 the next year) Hockey I wore 34 for 3 years until I got 43 and nothing else after that. Wore 43 in volleyball in high school too.

Never played any other sports that required numbers except BMX racing, but in that you put your rank number on your plate. Unless you were a little shit and occasionally just put 43 on your plate.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it was wild. I started wearing #4 for all sports and morphed to #7 when I started playing hockey. Then as @forty_three mentioned the #66, 77 and 99 showed up everywhere my coach wanted me to wear 77 and I said no way. But only to find out the freshman who was the best player wanted to wear 7. So I had to give it up anyway so I wore 77 for my Junior and Senior year. Sadly I was called Coffey on the ice in which I had no skating ability. I might have been better defensively but that isn't saying much with Coffey.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 was the number my Grandfather wore when he played in MLB. And since Ken Dryden was still widely loved at the time I started playing, 29 seemed like a good choice. I wore it when I played baseball.

When I couldn't get 29, I just took the highest number I could get. Never thought to ask for 20.

Baseball I wore 29, except one year I wore 24 in honor of Rick Dempsey as a catcher for my High School (went back to 29 the next year) Hockey I wore 34 for 3 years until I got 43 and nothing else after that. Wore 43 in volleyball in high school too.

Never played any other sports that required numbers except BMX racing, but in that you put your rank number on your plate. Unless you were a little shit and occasionally just put 43 on your plate.

I love that you were 24 that year because of Dempsey and not Willie Mays. I remember I wore 3 for a bunch of seasons because I liked Steve Sax but didn't really think much about Babe Ruth.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
When I started playing organized hockey, I wanted #23 for Thomas Gradin.
Jerseys went from 1 (Goalie size) to usually around 16-18 range. thank was it.
no custom shit, you get what you get, and if someone grabbed it first, you negotiated or later (peewee, bantam, jouvenile), fought for it.

so with no 23 available I picked #9 for Canucks legend Ivan Boldirev. There may have been some other good people to wear then number too, i dunno.
When 9 was taken, I went with 6 (upside down, and Dennis Kearns' number) or 8 (close enough, and Rick Blight's number)

I seem to recall 7, 9, 12, 16 were the first to go when I was a kid.

in older years I stuck with 9 or 19

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't given a choice on my number for most of my youth career playing hockey or soccer. In most cases, we just ordered our size and the team would submit an order for however many of each size and the numbers were just sequential (i.e., smalls started at 1 and up from there). So your choice would be to barter with whoever else asked for the same size jersey that you did within the limited window of numbers for that size range.

The goalie usually had no choice because it was rare that there was anybody on any of the teams who was big enough to have the same jersey size as the goalie equipment.

(Did have a kid who was 6'4" when we started peewee. His dad was 7'2" so nobody was surprised.)

EDIT: When I had a choice it was 17 for Mike Foligno.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that you were 24 that year because of Dempsey and not Willie Mays. I remember I wore 3 for a bunch of seasons because I liked Steve Sax but didn't really think much about Babe Ruth.

Rick Dempsey was my spirit animal

I wasn't given a choice on my number for most of my youth career playing hockey or soccer. In most cases, we just ordered our size and the team would submit an order for however many of each size and the numbers were just sequential (i.e., smalls started at 1 and up from there). So your choice would be to barter with whoever else asked for the same size jersey that you did within the limited window of numbers for that size range.

The goalie usually had no choice because it was rare that there was anybody on any of the teams who was big enough to have the same jersey size as the goalie equipment.

(Did have a kid who was 6'4" when we started peewee. His dad was 7'2" so nobody was surprised.)

EDIT: When I had a choice it was 17 for Mike Foligno.

When I started, the goalie gear was essentially just a catcher's chest protector with arm pads.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol post got deleted

There was a year that Joe Sakic bought home and away jersey sets for every team in every division at Burnaby Minor Hockey Association. Modelled after the avs jersey that had the colorado letting going diagonally across the front.

All bmha jerseys came in sets numbered 1 to 17 plus 35

the jerseys he bought had no #17 ... replaced by #19 lol

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought to ask for 20.

Was thinking Tretiak with the 20 reference

My limited hockey career was 5, then 4, then 3, then moved to forward because I was clearly headed in the wrong direction on D lol. Was given 15 and "retired" the next year. I could see the writing on the wall.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
interesting idea in 31 thoughts
will UFAs this summer want back loaded contracts?
escrow could take up to 30% of paychecks next year depending on if/when they resume.

creates a whole new opportunity for a GM to pass his huge mistakes on to the next guy

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Milan Lucic to a white courtesy phone please, Milan Lucic to a white courtesy phone.
with a lower cap, or at least a freeze, there may also be a compliance buy-out available.

leading to Lucic and Louie leaving licketysplit

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with a lower cap, or at least a freeze, there may also be a compliance buy-out available.

leading to Lucic and Louie leaving licketysplit

I'd love to lick a lemon lollipop in Lillehammer :D

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I started, the goalie gear was essentially just a catcher's chest protector with arm pads.
The same. I seem to remember the arm pads being not much thicker than a winter jacket.

However, since the chest protectors were shared and they didn't have many of them, it was generally big enough to fit almost every kid in the league.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same. I seem to remember the arm pads being not much thicker than a winter jacket.

However, since the chest protectors were shared and they didn't have many of them, it was generally big enough to fit almost every kid in the league.

I can still smell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.