• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will this lead to a crazy trade deadline?

My guess is just the opposite, with teams as tightly bunched as they are, nobody wants to do anything to upset the apple cart. We need more GM's like David Poile in this league.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some random observations on the standings at the All Star Break:

• The Metropolitan is one tight division. CB, PIT, PHI, NJD, NYR and NYI are within 2 points of each other.
    • 4 of them will make the playoffs.
    • Will this lead to a crazy trade deadline?
    • And the goal differential of the entire group is basically 0. Ranges from +2 to -8.
  • Arguably the 3 best teams in the East are all in the Atlantic, however.
  • Team with the biggest lead in their division? Without looking? Yes, its Vegas, baby!
  • WPG and TOR are the only 2 Canadian teams looking solid for playoff hockey. Calgary is in right now, but not a lock by any means.
  • CHI is last in their division. Not far off the playoffs, but a lotta teams to leapfrog
  • 9 teams (10 if you include CHI) are basically done and can plan their rebuild/retool strategy. Seems like more than in prior years
If Crawford is out much longer, CHI is done, so you might as well make it 10.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is just the opposite, with teams as tightly bunched as they are, nobody wants to do anything to upset the apple cart. We need more GM's like David Poile in this league.

Saw some speculation that a player like McDonogh could be available. Which sounded nuts to me. No way any team outside of the bottom 9/10 weakens their team, but if a couple in the Metropolitan make deals to improve, can the others stay pat?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw some speculation that a player like McDonogh could be available. Which sounded nuts to me. No way any team outside of the bottom 9/10 weakens their team, but if a couple in the Metropolitan make deals to improve, can the others stay pat?
The Rangers are kinda screwed. Their goalie is good enough to keep winning them games they shouldn’t but the rest of the team isn’t good enough to win them games they have to.

On the flip, they could move guys like MacD, Zuccarello, Nash and Grabner and get some pretty valuable pieces back so that they could be back competing next season if all goes well. Moving those guys would leave them with over $40 mil in cap space for next season minus whatever assets come back and some good pieces and picks to work with. I'm guessing it's tough to go to James Dolan and ask to give in on seasons (and playoff ticket money), though. Or Henrik Lundqvist, for that matter.

Also have to keep in mind that Carolina and the Isles may decide to go out and buy for a playoff push. Both desperately need it. The Rangers don't have the assets for that.

If they start moving guys, I would gladly give up a good non-big 3 package for MacD.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually like this. He's fine in a bottom six role and it hopefully means that Ottawa will be shipping out Zack Smith ASAP.

Plus, when he was drafted Oilers fans told us all he was like a better Marian Hossa. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Wait, maybe they meant Marcel? Either way I'm good. Gotta just ride out this year and hope for the best at this point.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny story this Sens fan wanted Ottawa to draft him in 2009. 9 yrs. later we got him. Given our recent poor play anything's worth a shot at this time.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Birthday to the great one today. Gretzky turns 57. Lookin' a little older these days.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I'm trying to insinuate anything, but lately, every time I see Gretzky on tv, he looks three sheets to the wind.

Three sheets???!?

He looks all the goddam sheets to the wind and if you don't like it you can geddafuckout!! I can... listen.. listen.. listen to me. You can do anything you puddd yer mind to. I never told you that before because...no wait, don't touch me... lemme finish. You fucken great. I never told ya that before but now I don't give er fuck ...............yer mom is hot!!

That's three sheets to the wind. Gretz looks about 8 sheets to the wind these days with a 9 being Joe Namath and a 10 Ed Belfour in the back of a cop car.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gretz's latest interview:

dR3aEzU.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I'm trying to insinuate anything, but lately, every time I see Gretzky on tv, he looks three sheets to the wind.

I know we've thrown this gretzkys a drunk thing around before dash lol

just last weekend I went out for dinner with the coaches of my sons hockey team and we were shootin the shit talking about pro hockey players and their lifestyles (one assistant coach is/was Sasha Lakovics cousin and the head coach played in the bcjhl and is currently a VPD officer).

I brought up the thing about Matt Johnson and how Gretzky didnt want to talk about their time together for that story and the head coach said for sure, that Gretzky wouldnt want to throw him under the bus when he was already down. I said yah but ... you would think he could provide some insight into the kids lifestyle (all stuff i said on these boards lol)

to which the coach said ... "you know what ... " and then proceded to tell the story of putting his son in the Gretzky Hockey School when it came to Burnaby 2 summers ago and Wayne actually showed up to it to everyones surprise

he and his son got to take a picture with the Great One ... pulls out his cell phone ... and shows me the picture ... Waynes facial expression looked exactly like that famous drunk gretzky picture on the internet ... he said he barely interacted with with anyone and when the coach tried talking to him he couldnt make out what he was mumbling

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
420njis28jc01.jpg

LOL, Colorado triggers an Avalanche every time they score. Final Answer.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rules prevent hm from voting for himself.

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is indeed it for Jaromir he had an incredible career and should be remembered as one hell of a player and ironman. His career is roughly as long as the average age of a player in the nhl and that is a testament to his consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.