• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure about that Kenny? I thought it is either 7 forwards + 3 defense or 8 players but that teams are limited to 1 goalie either way.

Yeah.. you're right. It even felt wrong while I was writing it. So, only one goalie either way.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.. you're right. It even felt wrong while I was writing it. So, only one goalie either way.

I think there was a 2 goalie option for the last expansion draft but the league went a different way this time.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, sure. People refer to Los Angeles as LA. People refer to Cleveland as "why's the river on fire?".

Their teams still use their real city names in their official nomenclature.

I agree it's a bit unusual but I guess not the first time. There's the "Carolina Hurricanes". Not quite the same though. I think they are going for the whole "addition by subtraction" thing there by dropping "North" to try to market themselves as the team for both North and South Carolina.

Then of course you have a few other exceptions in other leagues as well (Carolina again, Golden State).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it's a bit unusual but I guess not the first time. There's the "Carolina Hurricanes". Not quite the same though. I think they are going for the whole "addition by subtraction" thing there by dropping "North" to try to market themselves as the team for both North and South Carolina.

Then of course you have a few other exceptions in other leagues as well (Carolina again, Golden State).
Yeah, Carolina is an example. Golden State has always been a weird one (although I think they plan on renaming them San Francisco once they move back into the city). New England is pretty vague, too.

I think with NE and Carolina, though, the idea is more to regionalize the franchise. With Vegas, it's just convenience.

End of the day, they'll be called the Seattle Team-with-a-green-theme in a few years anyway.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dipshit Greg Whyshitski was wrong again. "It's going to be Desert Knights, I have my sources" as he says on his podcast. How these fat neckbeards like him, Eklund and Leblubber get jobs is beyond me.

Last edited:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there something in copyright/trademark law that says after a certain amount of years if you can "prove" that the general populace refers to your name by something different you can "claim" that as your name?

Ive seen people say the end game name game is going to be "Las Vegas Knights' or "Vegas Knights" ie theyll eventually drop the "Golden" :noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there something in copyright/trademark law that says after a certain amount of years if you can "prove" that the general populace refers to your name by something different you can "claim" that as your name?

Ive seen people say the end game name game is going to be "Las Vegas Knights' or "Vegas Knights" ie theyll eventually drop the "Golden" :noidea:
I'm not nearly proficient in copyright law but 1) there is precedent in pro sports for dropping long two-worded names (TB Devil Rays, Anaheim Mighty Ducks), and 2) if this is really about the London Knights objecting and threatening legal action I have no idea why the league didn't just flex some muscle and tell them to piss off considering the NHL has the power to essentially destroy the CHL by changing player development rules and the fact that there are a number of CHL teams that use NHL team nicknames/logos/colour schemes.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not nearly proficient in copyright law but 1) there is precedent in pro sports for dropping long two-worded names (TB Devil Rays, Anaheim Mighty Ducks), and 2) if this is really about the London Knights objecting and threatening legal action I have no idea why the league didn't just flex some muscle and tell them to piss off considering the NHL has the power to essentially destroy the CHL by changing player development rules and the fact that there are a number of CHL teams that use NHL team nicknames/logos/colour schemes.

yah I meant to reference mighty ducks ... the adjective will eventually go away

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if a Vegas player gets a hat trick he gets a golden shower ... of hats :noidea:

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there was a 2 goalie option for the last expansion draft but the league went a different way this time.

That must be what I was thinking.

With a healthy portion of the Jackets best players being exempt, I thought they'd take the option of protecting Korpisalo if they can.

But I would like to see what constitutes a "pro season". In 2014-15 he played 3 games in the A before going back to Finland. Surely that shouldn't count. Same with Anton Forsberg, he played 4 his first "pro" season.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That must be what I was thinking.

With a healthy portion of the Jackets best players being exempt, I thought they'd take the option of protecting Korpisalo if they can.

But I would like to see what constitutes a "pro season". In 2014-15 he played 3 games in the A before going back to Finland. Surely that shouldn't count. Same with Anton Forsberg, he played 4 his first "pro" season.
None of this is making sense to me, either. From the NHL's site:

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Yet William Nylander has played 3 seasons of pro hockey in the AHL/NHL, including the 37 games in the 14-15 season where Korpisalo only played 3 games, but is exempt according to capfriendly while Korpisalo isn't.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think to ensure this never happens I'm just going to refer to them as the Golds.

08a3c3d4ad4febfa7798d04d0dc88e9028e57918_hq.gif

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a team that basically IS their goalie the Habs sure like to run other teams' netminders. Somebody's gonna run Price again as retribution and they'll be SNAFU'd again. Just no respect. None.

Then Gallagher, Pactches and their other whining non-superstars will be up in arms.:D THAT'S the most arrogant organization in the league.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a team that basically IS their goalie the Habs sure like to run other teams' netminders. Somebody's gonna run Price again as retribution and they'll be SNAFU'd again. Just no respect. None.

Then Gallagher, Pactches and their other whining non-superstars will be up in arms.:D THAT'S the most arrogant organization in the league.

Man, I hope somebody screen grabbed that Mark Stone goal last night, it was a classic "This guy scored" pic that would have been perfect for the Oilers coffee table book.

Status
Not open for further replies.