• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penguins vs Sharks tonight.

ShowyInformalAmericanwigeon-size_restricted.gif

Window Seat: Sharks
Middle Seat: Penguins

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny, you were right about Dave Cameron, the Flames PP is even worse than abysmal.

I'm sorry buddy. He's one of these guys who doesn't seem to give real thought to any kind of system.

-Just give 110%

-You gotta want it more than the other guy

-Player X may have no skill but he plays the game the right way.

That is pretty much the extent of Cameron's coaching handbook. As far as I can tell anyway.

The good news is that the Flames have the personnel to be a good PP team so they'll probably recover a bit.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think u might be wrong on burnaby boy wiercioch though kenny

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think u might be wrong on burnaby boy wiercioch though kenny

I'll believe that if he's still playing decent hockey come December. Of course he was coached by the aforementioned Dave Cameron last year, so there might be a reason for sucking camel ass.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll believe that if he's still playing decent hockey come December. Of course he was coached by the aforementioned Dave Cameron last year, so there might be a reason for sucking camel ass.

Ill always remember ferraro in the cesspool saying he needed to get out of ottawa. He apparantly trained patrick in the summer so i thought he was a bit biased. I wanted the canucks to take a shot at him ... 1 year 800 k why not

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill always remember ferraro in the cesspool saying he needed to get out of ottawa. He apparantly trained patrick in the summer so i thought he was a bit biased. I wanted the canucks to take a shot at him ... 1 year 800 k why not

He had spells of good play, they just weren't in the last year.. lol

Seems like a good guy but it seemed like he got slower and softer as time went on.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if I was ANYONE I would not admit to training Weirdcock. The guy has also been a beanpole. Just no muscle.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sens haven't had much success developing and maintaining their blue line this decade save Karlsson (who probably would've become a superstar even if Uday Hussein was his coach). Methot, Cowen, Wierdcock, Rundblad, even Ceci to an extent.

Wiercioch is still young enough to make a career for himself - he's about the same age Stralman was when the Jackets jettisoned his ass. He turned out alright.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Quincey is not very good. Devils D is going to be a work in progress all year.

You need experience and grit over youth. Jack Johnson and Dalton Prout for Severson and Merrill. Please?

Well, Nolan Patrick might make a great second line centre.

I SAW HIM FIRST

I'm sorry buddy. He's one of these guys who doesn't seem to give real thought to any kind of system.

-Just give 110%

-You gotta want it more than the other guy

-Player X may have no skill but he plays the game the right way.

That is pretty much the extent of Cameron's coaching handbook. As far as I can tell anyway.

The good news is that the Flames have the personnel to be a good PP team so they'll probably recover a bit.

All he has to do is add in BLOCK SHOTS and he too can be a proven winner (tm)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This always confuses me - The Oakland A's, who were in the playoffs as recently as two seasons ago, are dead last in MLB because of a bad stadium and bad team. They're also one of the cheapest tickets in baseball. Meanwhile, the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs since the Clinton Administration, are middle of the pack and the justification is pretty much cheap tickets. And they actually dropped in the rankings from a year ago.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This always confuses me - The Oakland A's, who were in the playoffs as recently as two seasons ago, are dead last in MLB because of a bad stadium and bad team. They're also one of the cheapest tickets in baseball. Meanwhile, the Bills, who haven't sniffed the playoffs since the Clinton Administration, are middle of the pack and the justification is pretty much cheap tickets. And they actually dropped in the rankings from a year ago.
Most of it is subjective and is based on the results of fan surveys, so a lot of it isn't worth much.

Take for example the fact that the Sabres and Bills, despite having the same ownership, their ownership rankings are 29 and 53, respectively. I don't know the reason for that, but some fans obviously believe that the Pegulas are better hockey owners than football owners.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price made his debut last night, looked impressive. Hope he's back healthy for Montreal. A healthy Price is the best goalie in the league.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sens haven't had much success developing and maintaining their blue line this decade save Karlsson (who probably would've become a superstar even if Uday Hussein was his coach). Methot, Cowen, Wierdcock, Rundblad, even Ceci to an extent.

Wiercioch is still young enough to make a career for himself - he's about the same age Stralman was when the Jackets jettisoned his ass. He turned out alright.

In general I'd agree with this in recent years. But it isn't just about developing. Their scouting is lacking on the back end compared to up front. The late round gems at forward (Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, etc. and now maybe Dzingel) haven't materialized on the blueline.

Some notes about development though. Some of those players just aren't very good. Cowen's career was derailed by injury not necessarily development. I'm not convinced he ever had an NHL mind (doesn't make quick enough decisions). But he's younger than Wiercioch and he's likely to be out of the league when his contract expires.

Rundblad was under Sens development for a grand total of 25 games before being shipped out for Kyle Turris. Phoenix and Chicago had not much better luck developing this guy; his game just never translated to North America. He's from that draft class too and is out of the league.

Methot has been terrific when he's healthy.

Leaves Weirdcock and Ceci, who I think will be fine. Wiercioch is a strange one though. I thought he was going to be a really good second pair guy when he first arrived on the scene. He never got any better. Who knows if it's the club or the player. :noidea: He's now the number 6 guy on a weak Colorado blueline (on paper).

I think in the past 5-8 years they've scouted D poorly and may not have developed them that well. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the latest group. Chabot should be close to a blue chip prospect. Englund is likely an NHL player and MAYBE a 2nd pairing guy. And my darkhorse to be a real player in 2-3 years is Christian Jaros. He's got a nice tool set. Max Lajoie is a guy that I could see having a decent NHL career too.

I'm curious to see how these guys progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.