• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be okay if the Flames re-sign Russell to a 3 year deal for 3.5 million dollars per season. I'm sure he would get more on the open market, but I think he likes playing in Calgary and that's still a pretty nice chunk of change.

While I obviously am not directly involved and can't say for sure what anyone around the league is thinking, if I were Russell's agent I'd tell him that he is fucking batshit crazy if he takes that deal.

"Just keep getting hit with pucks, we'll get you on Coach's Corner so Cherry can hump your leg and we'll indirectly blame everything negative on the goalies. Next thing you know your old lady will have the biggest pool and the most servants on 'Hockey Wives'. Oh yeah, and we'll get her on 'Hockey Wives'! What more can a hard working red blooded Canadian boy ask for?"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither one would be the best player ever to suit up as a "2nd line centre". Hell, neither would even be the best 2nd line centre in the league right now. Good teams win with strength and depth down the middle, and teams with two great centres don't usually seem to have any trouble getting both of them enough ice time.
In the cap era, I don't think there would be many rivalling a Stamkos-Eichel 1-2 assuming Eichel pans out. Sid and Geno and then...?

I mean, you've mentioned Toronto too but they also already have a #1 centre in Young Bozak. :wink:
Don't play with my tortured soul, man.

If the Leafs were actually able to get a top 3 pick as well as sign Stamkos, combined with hiring Babcock last season, it's going to feel like 1998 up in here again when they got Cujo and Quinn and Stumpy and shit got fun again.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was flipping around the dial last night and came across 'Hockey Wives', I gave it a couple of minutes, got bored and moved on.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen anything suggesting that Geno is unhappy with his usage though, which (I think) is the detail under discussion.
Southie said Stanley Cups. It's been tough for the Pens to surround their two awesome C's with guys as talented as them and that has cost them glory.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was flipping around the dial last night and came across 'Hockey Wives', I gave it a couple of minutes, got bored and moved on.

I see ads for it all the time. You'd think it was actually popular.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the cap era, I don't think there would be many rivalling a Stamkos-Eichel 1-2 assuming Eichel pans out. Sid and Geno and then...?

Don't play with my tortured soul, man.

If the Leafs were actually able to get a top 3 pick as well as sign Stamkos, combined with hiring Babcock last season, it's going to feel like 1998 up in here again when they got Cujo and Quinn and Stumpy and shit got fun again.

I'm not assuming that at all though.

I mean, how would you feel as a GM if you passed on a good chance at Stamkos because of what you thought Eichel could be, and then he turned to be less than that? Not even a bust or way way less, but just not a franchise player (I'll try to think of an analogous name, Taylor Hall maybe?).

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We call those Phaneuf Specials around here.

Actually, Russell outscored Dion last season so he might get $8 mil per.

I think MacDonald's deal is a better comparison. At least the Phaneuf deal was shooting at the right target (#1 defenseman), even if it aimed badly and missed.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not assuming that at all though.

I mean, how would you feel as a GM if you passed on a good chance at Stamkos because of what you thought Eichel could be, and then he turned to be less than that? Not even a bust or way way less, but just not a franchise player (I'll try to think of an analogous name, Taylor Hall maybe?).
That's a little unfair to Hall - Seguin got plaudits the other day for getting his 300th pt (and the way he did it) but Hall actually has a better PPG ratio (.89 to .82) and done so while having to play for the Edmonton Oilers.

But I do understand your point, it's just that I think Buffalo sees themselves as set at centre with those two and would rather spend the money elsewhere - the defence is still largely shambolic, for example - and they already have a lot committed as it is. They also have Sam Reinhart at that position as well, who might end up being trade bait anyway but...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a little unfair to Hall - Seguin got plaudits the other day for getting his 300th pt (and the way he did it) but Hall actually has a better PPG ratio (.89 to .82) and done so while having to play for the Edmonton Oilers.

But I do understand your point, it's just that I think Buffalo sees themselves as set at centre with those two and would rather spend the money elsewhere - the defence is still largely shambolic, for example - and they already have a lot committed as it is. They also have Sam Reinhart at that position as well, who might end up being trade bait anyway but...

I guess what I'm basically thinking is that "too many #1 centres" is an easy "problem" to fix without making yourself worse, while "didn't get a #1 centre because we thought we would have one and then we didn't, but can't get one because we missed our shot and spent our money on non-elite goalies and 2nd tier defensemen instead" can be awfully damaging. It's kind of like the idea of drafting skill high and then trading that skill for "grit" down the road if you need it, rather that wasting high picks on "grit".

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm basically thinking is that "too many #1 centres" is an easy "problem" to fix without making yourself worse, while "didn't get a #1 centre because we thought we would have one and then we didn't, but can't get one because we missed our shot and spent our money on non-elite goalies and 2nd tier defensemen instead" can be awfully damaging. It's kind of like the idea of drafting skill high and then trading that skill for "grit" down the road if you need it, rather that wasting high picks on "grit".
Something tells me you're a Leaf fan.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's no a matter of whether or not Dutch Gretzky will be an All Star this year but whether or not he will be starting.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leon McDraisaitl is looking good in his first three games this season.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goalies in the Sens-Jets game have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.