• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread - Part Brock and Roll Four Lines

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it could always be worse, I could be an Oilers fan and be clinging to the delusion that McDavid and Draisaitl are all that you need to bring a Cup back to Edmonton.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big difference (I hope) is that there is no Jim Benning nor Brad Treliving at the GM position. I'm hoping Conroy is more like Trevor Linden and will embrace the rebuild.

Also for Conroy there is no meddling owner (i dont think :think: ) looking over his shoulder at every move

F552E639-FF65-408C-8E44-B9DC95CA287C.jpeg
C82B765D-EDA5-400E-A0E3-8707BC670249.jpeg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big difference (I hope) is that there is no Jim Benning nor Brad Treliving at the GM position. I'm hoping Conroy is more like Trevor Linden and will embrace the rebuild.
I don't lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I hope he’s more like Doug Risebrough

giphy.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s so many teams out there that don’t want to accept a full rebuild. Flames, Penguins, Caps, Wild, Jets, Preds just for starters. Flyers finally bit the bullet and went all in on one this year. GM’s are too afraid if they tear it down they won’t be around to build it back up. GM’s are like politicians as they only care about job security it seems instead of having some foresight and doing what is best for the long run. It was better to have an incompetent GM who makes questionable trades than one who doesn’t - at least he was trying.
Is it more GM’s or more the owners worried about waning interest in the market?

Of the teams you listed, the Pens and Caps both were almost void of fan interest before they got their stars twenty years ago. Nashville is still a non-hockey market that can easily just forget the Preds exist once they go full rebuild. Jets already lost the team once and are terrified of not filling the arena (happening anyway).

There’s just still a lot of franchises who think any commitment to failure in the short term might cause them long term in their market. Which tells you just how secure of a league the NHL actually is while they keep expanding to new markets for some insane reason.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it more GM’s or more the owners worried about waning interest in the market?

Of the teams you listed, the Pens and Caps both were almost void of fan interest before they got their stars twenty years ago. Nashville is still a non-hockey market that can easily just forget the Preds exist once they go full rebuild. Jets already lost the team once and are terrified of not filling the arena (happening anyway).

There’s just still a lot of franchises who think any commitment to failure in the short term might cause them long term in their market. Which tells you just how secure of a league the NHL actually is while they keep expanding to new markets for some insane reason.
There was a Lull between the Bondra/Hunter years and drafting Ovi but the thing about the Washington market that is similar to a few other teams where they have a huge base of "client/fans" in that a lot of seats are given out by businesses or other entities. They will always have that corporate and government base. I used to do IT for Comcast and one of my divisions was advertising sales. They had a TON of tickets they gave out regularly, and I had access to any tickets I wanted as an employee. And in those days it was half actual fans and half people furiously clicking their blackberries and PDAs.

I am sure the success has balanced that ratio out quite a bit and I hope it's not as many wannabe's in the seats. In which case I think they could weather a rebuild pretty well. If the real fans don't go as often, the seats will still get sold.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jack Edwards is Witness for the Defence

I am told he will testify that it was a good hit, the head was not the principal point of contact, the hit was immediately after the puck left the area, and Charlie gives out great Halloween candy.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Jack Edwards is Witness for the Defence

I am told he will testify that it was a good hit, the head was not the principal point of contact, the hit was immediately after the puck left the area, and Charlie gives out great Halloween candy.
2 games to OEL, as his head was kind of hard for poor Charlie to run into

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tocchet must be loving this too. Just heard excerpt of his presser today and he was asked back to back hard hitting questions … favourite halloween costume? and favourite halloween treat?

I didnt hear the first answer but my ears perked up when he said “chips” for fave treat … i bet!!!