• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing evaluation of QB Brock Purdy

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One of his strengths seems to be anticipation throws. Those worry me though since it is so dependent on the wide receiver being where he is supposed to be. Its working so far
Yes, Purdy throws with 'maximum' anticipation which makes it hard for DB's to defend. But also yes, the WR needs to run good routes and why Brandon Aiyuk is so important. You can't just draft a WR and expect him to replace BA this year.

Throwing with anticipation also helps the O-line because generally, he doesn't hold it long.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Purdy throws with 'maximum' anticipation which makes it hard for DB's to defend. But also yes, the WR needs to run good routes and why Brandon Aiyuk is so important. You can't just draft a WR and expect him to replace BA this year.

Throwing with anticipation also helps the O-line because generally, he doesn't hold it long.
Its odd that the 49ers never seem to address the offensive line as an area of great need. They focused so much od the D Line last year and I thought that would be a good thing but it pretty much turned out to be a disaster

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its odd that the 49ers never seem to address the offensive line as an area of great need. They focused so much od the D Line last year and I thought that would be a good thing but it pretty much turned out to be a disaster
They have tried to address O-line as evidenced by TW having a large contract, and Banks drafted in Round 2. They drafted Burford, Jaylon Moore, and McKivitz, but when they don't pan out, yes they "never seem to address the offensive line".

They signed Jon Feliciano and Matt Prior so again, they've been trying but it hasn't panned out good enough. They can't put more FA cap space to O-line because our skill players take up so much cap space.

Then when you make a bad trade in Trey Lance, you don't have more higher picks.

Anyway, I do agree with the D-line first mentality, no sense having a good offense if your defense gives up points 'at will'. Without a good D-line, the entire defense will be weak from the get go.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have tried to address O-line as evidenced by TW having a large contract, and Banks drafted in Round 2. They drafted Burford, Jaylon Moore, and McKivitz, but when they don't pan out, yes they "never seem to address the offensive line".

They signed Jon Feliciano and Matt Prior so again, they've been trying but it hasn't panned out good enough. They can't put more FA cap space to O-line because our skill players take up so much cap space.

Then when you make a bad trade in Trey Lance, you don't have more higher picks.

Anyway, I do agree with the D-line first mentality, no sense having a good offense if your defense gives up points 'at will'. Without a good D-line, the entire defense will be weak from the get go.
Picking run of the mill linemen for minimum contacts is not addressing the O Line problem in my opinion. Its just putting a band aid on a big problem and is part of the reason 49er quarterbacks always get hurt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Picking run of the mill linemen for minimum contacts is not addressing the O Line problem in my opinion. Its just putting a band aid on a big problem and is part of the reason 49er quarterbacks always get hurt.
Yeah ok, you can spend higher draft picks on O-linemen instead of "run of the mill" late picks, but then those picks won't go towards other positions. That's ok because in any draft, you pick your poison so to speak. You can decide to have a better O-line and lesser D-line? Better O-line and lesser DB's? But you can't have it all if you're excluding later picks, especially later picks each round.

You can only spend so much cap space on FA offensive linemen, we already have a lot of cap space tied into 5-6 players. Then Lynch needs to look ahead to BA and Purdy, so he can't sign who he signed PLUS top O-line.