• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One Step Closer to Paying College Athletes

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wrote a lot as I always do but I don't really care. I just watch my teams and players we might go for.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument here basically is to take the student out of the student athlete because the student in the athletic departments weren't doing much as students anyway.

There is no real emphasis on making them more of a student, at all, because we want the athletic part. It's more fun and entertaining, more useful to the NFL to see most young athletes eligible. It would be difficult to enforce when these fake tests are given good grades. College sports started out as students who were young and talented. I would like a system where they really were students who played, not just people who are 18 to 23 who plays.

But that's not really realistic and of course that would make college football less fun. But the point of student athletics is being a student too. And if these guys can't be students, then let them go. But the money would go down. And there's no way that would happen. Cheating what happened anyway. So it's like you are weighing practical matters with principles. The argument against these being principles is saying that these guys aren't really students; they aren't there for an education and it shows. But then remove the student part.

You might say what's the big deal, but then I'd rather just have a minor league. We can recruit wherever you want and play until you were certain age and then going to the NFL. They won't do this because they get so much money from people who follow their college but don't really follow the sport. They went to my leagues, they'd lose all the layman fans. No one would have much reason for people to follow teams, especially if they were bad.

Well said.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Student athletes don't deserve payment other than the education they are being provided, at no cost to them. How many of these student athletes ever make it big? Like 1% or less? They are being gifted something that is much more valuable and will help them become successful if they take it seriously. The whole idea of payment is a silly one. Sure the universities are profiting off of them. So let's make sure that money is put back into better teachers and higher learning. Paying a student is counter productive.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want their medical expenses for injuries suffered while playing covered as well. It's insane they can make hundreds of millions off of players severely injuring themselves and not provide basic coverage for the results of those injuries.

Actual payment doesn't make sense.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Student athletes don't deserve payment other than the education they are being provided, at no cost to them. How many of these student athletes ever make it big? Like 1% or less? They are being gifted something that is much more valuable and will help them become successful if they take it seriously. The whole idea of payment is a silly one. Sure the universities are profiting off of them. So let's make sure that money is put back into better teachers and higher learning. Paying a student is counter productive.

Complete and utter bullshit.

Maybe universities should start actually educating these "student" athletes instead of giving them unearned passing grades so they can continue to play and earn money for the schools. These schools don't give a crap about these guys or their education which is why the system is so screwed up. Let's stop pretending that an education is what is important for the people involved (schools and athletes) because that is certainly not the truth.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they pass up on the free education offered to them, fuck them. I don't feel bad for them.

There are a lot of people who would literally kill for that opportunity.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they pass up on the free education offered to them, fuck them. I don't feel bad for them.

Stop using the term education when referring to the garbage that these guys receive. Once again, if you want to make the education case then educate these kids and set them up for success. Don't milk every dime you can out of their talent and send them packing.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They receive what they choose to receive. There are plenty of college athletes who take advantage of their opportunities to get top of the line educations.

If they do not, it is their own fault.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They receive what they choose to receive. There are plenty of college athletes who take advantage of their opportunities to get top of the line educations.

If they do not, it is their own fault.

Have you been in their situation before? Do you believe that the majority if these guys pick their own classes?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the ability to.

Every single one of them has access to a very high quality education for free. If they choose to take some bullshit and not capitalize on what they are given, fuck them.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Complete and utter bullshit.

Maybe universities should start actually educating these "student" athletes instead of giving them unearned passing grades so they can continue to play and earn money for the schools. These schools don't give a crap about these guys or their education which is why the system is so screwed up. Let's stop pretending that an education is what is important for the people involved (schools and athletes) because that is certainly not the truth.

The fact that these student athletes don't take their education seriously is not a reason to start paying them real money. If they don't care, they just wasted the opportunity. It's like (loosely) how not driving a car that is given to you isn't a reason to get a house. There may be other reasons to pay them something, but not this.

A stipend of living expenses makes some sense, the same for star athletes and the last player. Allowing them to profit off autographs or jersey sales (limits could be there if necessary) makes sense. Losing time or focus would be their own detriment and coaches could impose team rules (no business on Thursday/Friday before game, subject to team discipline, not NCAA). Medical expenses for all football related injuries is reasonable (insurance, not payment they could pocket unwisely). Medical expenses for no-football but treatable injuries is practical as protecting your product).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of a deferred education choice? Require them to take general education courses for the first two years - specifically tailored to athletes (money management, interview/PR courses, etc.) and around their schedules (more in the summer, too?). Give them real grades and then if they go to the NFL/NBA, those tuition credits can be used for them or their children? /you could opt for the regular method or this. You would have to declare this by your third year (a major) and all curses towards that major that remain are free later. If you change majors later, they could either accept it or not (I haven't thought this part through). The money saved by those who declare early could go to current scholarships of other players, other sports, or non-athletes.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that these student athletes don't take their education seriously is not a reason to start paying them real money. If they don't care, they just wasted the opportunity. It's like (loosely) how not driving a car that is given to you isn't a reason to get a house. There may be other reasons to pay them something, but not this.

A stipend of living expenses makes some sense, the same for star athletes and the last player. Allowing them to profit off autographs or jersey sales (limits could be there if necessary) makes sense. Losing time or focus would be their own detriment and coaches could impose team rules (no business on Thursday/Friday before game, subject to team discipline, not NCAA). Medical expenses for all football related injuries is reasonable (insurance, not payment they could pocket unwisely). Medical expenses for no-football but treatable injuries is practical as protecting your product).

Placing blame in the wrong places and it shows who hasn't played college sports. Every player has their advisor who is assigned to members of the team, these advisors basically place you in classes. Again, the school can continue to squeeze every dime out of these kids and their talent and then send them on their way with no education but by all means let's keep blaming the players. Crazy idea, how about these universities start taking education seriously and stop giving out free grades.....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Placing blame in the wrong places and it shows who hasn't played college sports. Every player has their advisor who is assigned to members of the team, these advisors basically place you in classes. Again, the school can continue to squeeze every dime out of these kids and their talent and then send them on their way with no education but by all means let's keep blaming the players. Crazy idea, how about these universities start taking education seriously and stop giving out free grades.....

These students can talk to their advisors can they not? If they choose not to, that's their own damn fault. If what they want to study conflicts with their practice schedules, that's something the school should do a better job to work out and if they can't that's legitimate concerns. If it would be too time consuming (molecular biology), they have a choice. These are not victims no matter how much colleges make. They can choose not to play or their majors. Alex Smith chose to do an economics degree over communication. He graduated early and started a Masters. You mean he talked to his advisor? That's not allowed! By virtue of their profitability and priorities of playing over being educated they're voiceless pawns not allowed to think for themselves, remember? (To be fair, he started college as the backup with no NFL prospects.)

As far as free grades, they don't have to take them. They could write their own papers and get educated. I suppose a player could genuinely want to do so, but the team tells him not to because we need football focus and practice. That's their choice, what they are getting from it is their deal. I do agree that schools should care more and not pressure them out if they want to really get educated (who knows if they do?), but this isn't a reason to pay them. That's my contention. Schools have blame and both sides sell out for the sport and money. Education comes later, if at all.

As far as you being a former student athlete, you had your priorities and you handled them the way you saw fit. I'm not here to judge you on those decisions. But that was your choice. I do agree that schools can and should do a better job making the advisors give more real choices to athletes. Don't handle it for them and don't make it seem like it's set. Let them know they have choices better. Don't sell out, which they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It would appear that not many people posting here really followed the Northwestern story and just jumped on board with the opinion they already shared.

For those arguing that the players can select any courses they want, the decision from this case states explicitly that they could NOT take any course they want, and were banned from taking any courses that would interfere with their football life.

They also aren't asking to be paid. The entire basis of the decision is built around the idea that they are being paid already through their scholarships. The biggest issue with this decision is that it only applies to the football players on scholarship. Walk-ons are excluded. It also implies that it would only apply to revenue-generating sports.

Here's a summary of the decision:
Explaining what the Northwestern college football union decision means - SBNation.com

Here's a summary of what Northwestern athletes are asking for:
No, college football players aren't unionizing for pay-for-play - SBNation.com

Take careful note of
#3 - I believe it was in this thread someone mentioned the wonderful medical treatment they get. I may have read that elsewhere;

#4 - they're asking to increase the graduation rate. Maybe they care about their education?;

#6 - they're asking to have their education guaranteed in case of injury

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
imac, I know you've really been an in favour of college athletes being able to make money off their names / likeness. I don't really have one strong opinion one way or another about this, but does this mean you think it should be completely legal / legitimate under NCAA rules to take money from boosters?

The reason I ask is because I don't see any possible way of allowing the former without making it essentially impossible to prevent the latter.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
imac, I know you've really been an in favour of college athletes being able to make money off their names / likeness. I don't really have one strong opinion one way or another about this, but does this mean you think it should be completely legal / legitimate under NCAA rules to take money from boosters?

The reason I ask is because I don't see any possible way of allowing the former without making it essentially impossible to prevent the latter.

I don't know. It's something I haven't really thought about, but what business is it of the NCAA's as to what a bunch of rich guys do with their money? Are we to imagine that boosters aren't regularly helping these kids out currently?

The NCAA is an archaic institution with too much perceived power. Something needs to be done. I'm not going to pretend to have the answer, but what they're currently doing is not good. This NLRB ruling is a step in the right direction.

And I will ask again that everyone reads the two stories I linked to in my above post.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be able to make money off the likeness, but they shouldn't get paid to play the sport. They get free education, meals, a place to sleep and a ton of other perks. They are treated well enough as it is. I know they have a lot on their plate, but there are plenty of academic scholarships out there where those kids have just as much and don't get a dime extra.

In terms of them wanting to maintain their scholarships if injured... I completely agree with that. They should get to get their education even if they get hurt and no longer get to play on the team. Maybe the team gets an extra scholarship because they are losing the player.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They should be able to make money off the likeness, but they shouldn't get paid to play the sport.

These two things essentially contradict each other because if a player can make money off his likeness then paying him to play (boosters) would be impossible to prevent. It would be a matter of a legal loophole rather than simply hiding it (like what they do now).