• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One Step Closer to Paying College Athletes

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When's the last time Troy or UAB competed with Alabama anyway? There would still be roster limits, Bama would get the same players they get now, so would the middle- and lower-tier schools.

Maybe he's referring to a hypothetical ability for Troy to turn things around. This isn't practical, as Alabama isn't going anywhere. But it wasn't referring to competing with Alabama directly, as you already knew, but competing for the star high school recruits. But this would all be symbolic, as realistically the Tide is not turning to a day where Troy could pluck a great recruit from Alabama. Even with money. I guess some would want hypothetically for their to be a way for a Troy to build up and these perceived disadvantages would bug some.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but I wrote a bunch of reports on this in grad school and they def deserve to get paid, some of them barley have enough money for bills and food. I think it should be used for everyday living, but they def deserve some type of compensation and it is about damn time.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be the demise of college sports as the IRS will get involved and want taxes paid on the value of the athletes scholarships if they are employees. Most families would have no way of paying taxes on the value of what these scholarships are worth. This would prevent the athlete from accepting a scholarship and playing football. How much does it cost to go to Northwestern or Stanford for a year like $80k to $100K a year times 4 years? Guess what the taxes would be on that.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for everyone that talked about players getting some sort of stipend i understand (and agree) with that idea of $500 a month (which was what I got doing ROTC in college) but this isnt going to solve the problem of athletes receiving money from boosters and driving a new car. if terrelle pryor had a stipend that wouldnt have stopped him from rolling up to practice with his nissan 350z or markice pouncey getting 100k

i think they should just make the rules of how college athletes make money. I think its wrong that AJ Green got suspended 4 games at georgia because someone paid for his jersey. If a team wanted to hold a football camp for adults and children for the local county and get paid that shouldnt be against them.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was hilarious and seemed to be fitting for this thread. I hope it's true lol just epic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...player-an-a--at-north-carolina-151005969.html

Just another reason why college athletes should be paid. Take the scholarships away and pay them slightly more.

The entire Texas football team (from blue chips to walk ons) could pay their own way in tuition, rent, food, books, and still have 10k or so at the end of the year for less than 3% of the $103,800,000 in revenue the football team alone generates annually. Texas AD's net profit margin would dip from a little over 77% down to 74-75%, but...

1) I don't see 3% in revenue destroying other athletic clubs that generally have to fund raise to cover some of their expenses anyways

and

2) the scholarships wasted on the percentage of student athletes that AREN'T there to learn could be instead offered to college applicants who really want an education and are not attending college simply to bide time while they wait out the eligibility rules of the NFL or NBA.

Heck, paying student-athletes would basically be work study anyways. Colleges could still have their phantom classes for athletes where everyone gets an A for not showing up (because its not like Texas is ever going to risk pissing off boosters by failing players on a tem with national championship potential), but then at least the athletes would be wasting their own cash, not that of the state or country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another reason why college athletes should be paid. Take the scholarships away and pay them slightly more.

The entire Texas football team (from blue chips to walk ons) could pay their own way in tuition, rent, food, books, and still have 10k or so at the end of the year for less than 3% of the $103,800,000 in revenue the football team alone generates annually. Texas AD's net profit margin would dip from a little over 77% down to 74-75%, but...

1) I don't see 3% in revenue destroying other athletic clubs that generally have to fund raise to cover some of their expenses anyways

and

2) the scholarships wasted on the percentage of student athletes that AREN'T there to learn could be instead offered to college applicants who really want an education and are not attending college simply to bide time while they wait out the eligibility rules of the NFL or NBA.

Heck, paying student-athletes would basically be work study anyways. Colleges could still have their phantom classes for athletes where everyone gets an A for not showing up (because its not like Texas is ever going to risk pissing off boosters by failing players on a tem with national championship potential), but then at least the athletes would be wasting their own cash, not that of the state or country.

You are preaching to the choir my friend. As a former college athlete my opinion is probably biased so I try to stay out of these debates but this UNC incident was too good not to share.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not a fan of paying college athletes, if your going to pay these athletes then you should take away scholarships people dont realize how expensive a full ride to a Stanford, Notre Dame, Miami, UCLA etc costs. make them pay out of pocket with the money they earn.

or setup a pre-nfl football league much like hockey has in the chl.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I had classes I went to 3-4 times over the semester (tests) and got As in. Not every class has an attendance policy.

Did you read that 3rd grade quality paper? That was the only assignment for the entire semester. Let's not act like it was a legitimate class where someone can just ace all the tests.

And a professor got paid to teach that class all semester.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did. I'm not saying that should pass. But the bulk of the story is about people not attending classes and getting good grades, which is not as unreasonable as they're making it out to be. For most of the classes I had that did have an attendance policy, I would have been able to work out an arrangement to do the work independently, take the tests independently, and meet with them at a mutual time if there was a legitimate reason to do so.

I would bet these bullshit jokes of classes are broader than just for athletes in a lot of schools.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had classes I went to 3-4 times over the semester (tests) and got As in. Not every class has an attendance policy.

Good story but I don't know how that relates to the link. The guy wrote a 3rd grade level test and turned it in for an A in a college course. That is the real story.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I did. I'm not saying that should pass. But the bulk of the story is about people not attending classes and getting good grades

No it's not! The entire story is about a 1-paragraph paper that looks like a 9-year-old wrote it getting an A minus.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It talks about that then says it's part of a bigger problem of athletes not having to go to class.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It talks about that then says it's part of a bigger problem of athletes not having to go to class.

Look at the freeking title of the article:

Check out the terrible paper that earned a player an A- at North Carolina

First you're an apologist for hoodlums, and now you're an apologist for this bull shit class & those like it. Everything you say is wrong.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did I say it was good? I said it's not limited to sports, and it isn't.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument here basically is to take the student out of the student athlete because the student in the athletic departments weren't doing much as students anyway.

There is no real emphasis on making them more of a student, at all, because we want the athletic part. It's more fun and entertaining, more useful to the NFL to see most young athletes eligible. It would be difficult to enforce when these fake tests are given good grades. College sports started out as students who were young and talented. I would like a system where they really were students who played, not just people who are 18 to 23 who plays.

But that's not really realistic and of course that would make college football less fun. But the point of student athletics is being a student too. And if these guys can't be students, then let them go. But the money would go down. And there's no way that would happen. Cheating what happened anyway. So it's like you are weighing practical matters with principles. The argument against these being principles is saying that these guys aren't really students; they aren't there for an education and it shows. But then remove the student part.

You might say what's the big deal, but then I'd rather just have a minor league. We can recruit wherever you want and play until you were certain age and then going to the NFL. They won't do this because they get so much money from people who follow their college but don't really follow the sport. They went to my leagues, they'd lose all the layman fans. No one would have much reason for people to follow teams, especially if they were bad.