• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One of our resident dipshit poster's rants about Frank Beamer

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...he's got a point about Beamerball. Last year was a clear indication that its dead.

On a related note, if you can punt a football and have college eligibility, please report to Lane Stadium ASAP

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamerball was dead once teams started preparing for it. Over the past decade, teams know we try to make a difference on special teams. They spend time in practice prepping blocking and such against it. Also, we don't dedicate as many first-team players to blocking punts as we used to. We still get our fair share of blocked kicks/punts in.

I do hope when I wake up in the morning this guy has less than 12000 rep.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In the past, Beamerball used a bunch of starters, especially on the punt-block team. That hasn't been true for several years, and that makes a big difference.

What also makes a big difference is a player using improper technique when going after the ball and nailing the punter instead. That's happened a lot more often over the past few years.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Beamer has tried to put more focus on getting back to blocking kicks for next season. Putting some big lengthy receivers on the block unit.

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of all the fans to hate on Beamer, you would think that Nebraska would be one of the last. Sounds like this guy isn't terribly well thought of though.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In the past, Beamerball used a bunch of starters, especially on the punt-block team. That hasn't been true for several years, and that makes a big difference.

exactly right

What also makes a big difference is a player using improper technique when going after the ball and nailing the punter instead. That's happened a lot more often over the past few years.
it's frustrating how at least 50% of roughing the punter calls are such BS. Good flopping is becoming just as important a skill as kicking it seems. That being said, a lot of blocks over the last two years have come from terrible angles to diving too late.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys on the Nebraska board are a good group. They are civilized and articulate. There is always one in the group though.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamerball is not just about blocking kicks. Beamerball is about scoring from special teams and defense, not just offense. We are still the leader (or at least top 3) in non-offensive TDs over the last 20 years. We've had a very good group of return men over the last several years and as such, we have set up our (often struggling) offense up with great field position.

Beamer also didn't help his case when he would routinely offer clinics for opposing coaches to come to and learn the trade. These coaches have seen the success VT had in the 90s and early 00s with special teams and how they can turn the game around in an instant. With that said, these coaches are putting a heavy emphasis on their own special team units to be like Beamer/VT.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We haven't changed anything with punt blocking over the years. We're still using starters. The difference is that other teams are now using starters as well on special teams.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know USCe showed a big increase in blocked kicks when Shane was coaching their Special Teams. I'm sure he'll have at least some input with Tech's going forward.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think our ST struggles has much to do with non-starters or other teams preparing for it. I think a lot of our struggles are just sloppy play. Poor angles on blocks, unnecessary blocks in the back that aren't even questionable, etc. Beams got lax on his coaching emphasis and it showed over the last few years. I think he finally got embarrassed last year with all the screw ups as well as having no reliable punter nor a FG kicker so he's finally getting back to coaching the STs up

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Personally, I think Beams needs to turn over STs to someone else so he can pay more attention to being HC.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep . I think he should give ST to someone else too ... And I think that more emphasis should be made on NOT making mistakes than making the big play and emphasizing situational awareness

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think Beams needs to turn over STs to someone else so he can pay more attention to being HC.

Totally agree - my thoughts are keep it in the family and have SB take it over eventually.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
HAHAHAHA, oh Brasky you truely are one of a kind. You can't handle me so you recruit another fan base to make the attempt. So sad of you but I wouldnt expect anything else from you.

And yep, everyone loves you over there at the Nebraska board. You are the best.

At least we were invited to the Husker board...I don't see where anyone invited you here.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When you rep someone, it give you a choice between positive and negative.

Of course, they'll likely neg you back. I negatively rep'd JedBurks, but I'm rapidly losing my little bit of rep power.

Last edited by a moderator: