• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On the farm

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought I would start a thread to note some of our prospect in the lower minors and get some feedback on what everyone else thinks of them. I am probably higher on some than most of you and not as high on some as most of you. I will try to keep my personal opinions out of the original post, and just give the facts so that it can be an open unbiased discussion, but it may be hard baecause I am very excited about some of these guys.
I will warn you all, I am going to focus on one level at a time, so if you don't really care about the GCL Pirates, or State College Spikes, you may want to stop reading now. In all actuality, I will probably choose not to do anything with the GCL, just because that is nothing but a crap shoot, guys may put up good numbers there and be nothing and guys may put up crappy numbers there and turn out to be very good.
Today I will focus on State College, I am not sure the frequency with which I will start a new thread, but my goal is just to give everyone that wishes to read and discuss a look at the numbers each player is putting up. That is really all I have is their numbers and my opinion, so numbers here and opinion in the discussion.

Hitters:
Barrett Barnes - .283/.390/.425. Drafted out of college this year as a junior. He seems to have a pretty good judge of the strike zone with 14/18 BB/K. Leads the team with 4 HR and 10SB, but has been caught 4 times. Not sure what to make of the fact that he only has 4 doubles and 0 triples.

Tyler Gaffney - .333/.536/.500. Yes you read that right, .536 OBP, he has walked 12 times in 60 PA's while striking out only 8 times. Even for the NYPL, it is an extremely small sample size, so no reason to delve into to many numbers right now. He was also drafted this year, and is 21, I don't remember if he was a junior or a senior.

Jacob Stallings - .292/.331/.434. Drafted this year, college senior, but I put him here because he is still interresting right now. He is a catcher that played for NC, and has caught pitchers that were drafted in the first round. He is here to work with our young pitchers, and they seem to love throwing to him(more on this later). Leads the team, by a large margin, with 14 doubles. Not much plate discipline 7/31 BB/K in 113 AB's.
There are other hitters of interrest, but none that currently have any glaring numbers that are worthy of discussion.

Pitchers:
Luis Heredia - 34.0 IP, 1.03 WHIP, 1.85 ERA. He is 17, the youngest player in the NYPL. He is giving up less than 1 hit per inning and about 1.4BB/9IP. He was sent here basically to get used to starting every 5 days and work 3-4 innings per start, or hit a predetermined pitch limit. After his first start when he wasn't even close to his pitch limit after 4 innings, the organization decided to let him work more innings as long as he felt good. Since then he has been going 5 innings per start. If you want to nitpick, he only has 19 K's.

Clay Holmes - 33.2 IP, 0.86 WHIP, 0.80 ERA. He is 20, so still on the low end of the age group for this level. He was drafted last year out of HS in Alabama. He is big with a large trunk, legs and backside. He was also his class valedictorian, not that it matters, but is fact, so I add it. He, like Heredia, was here for the same purpose and same rules. He is givng up roughly 3BB/9IP, but is allowing less than 1 hit/2IP. He went a stretch of 3 consecutive starts giving up 1 hit over 5 innings.

Jake Burnette - 21.0 IP, 1.33 WHIP, 4.71 ERA. He is injured, so it is hard to tell anything from his numbers, he could have been hurt all year, or his numbers could be inflated from a couple bad outings before he got hurt. He is here because he is young, drafted last year out of HS. He is also like every HS pitcher we draft tall and projectable.

Joely Rodriguez - 33.2 IP, 1.13 WHIP, 3.21 ERA. He is 20, signed out of DR in 2009. He is a lefty, but other than that there isn't much to tell. He didn't have great number any of his years in the DSL. He really has never pitched as well as he is this year. He is age appropriate for this level, so there is some hope.

This level is really hard to get a picture of when only looking at the numbers for any of these players. Heck, it is hard at any level of our system, just the way we try to develop our players makes it hard to tell anything at all from the numbers. I am positive that Holmes and Heredia could be strinking out a lot more hitters, they have the ability, but the organization seems to want every pitcher to throw fastballs down and make something happen in 3 pitches. No wasted pitches.

I do believe though that the succes we see here with these young pitchers can be attributed directly to Jacob Stallings. From day one he has studied his pitchers, and what they are capable of. He calls his own game, doing so in a manner that the organization wants. He probably tells the manager when a pitcher has had enough or if he can throw another inning. He coached Heredia through his first 5 inning start, when even Heredia admitted he was tired. I doubt very much if Stallings makes it above High A, but I do believe that he has a future as a pitching coach, or bench coach of some sort.

Now for some personal opinion. I personally do not like the organizations approach on pitching. We draft guys because of the pitches they throw and their body type and projectibility. Then he have them pitch like they can't throw the ball 96+ MPH, or like they don't have a plus plus breaking pitch. We develop them to pitch sinkers sinkers and more sinkers. Now at this level, along with fastball command, they also have them working on change-ups. This makes a lot of sense, but I am not sure the sinker, change-up combination is the best way to develop a pitching staff.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks much for that post, crow. (Tried to approve it, but got that "spread it around" message again.) Thanks especially for your comments on Stallings. I gotta pull for a guy like that..... and hope that he will hit enough to progress.

As you acknowledge, it's hard to take stats from short-season ball and draw any conclusions. On the other hand, good stats are better than bad stats.

I'm pretty high on Heredia, Holmes, and Gaffney so far, but haven't actually seen them play, and will reserve judgement until they perform at higher levels.

One question: Where did you get the notion that the Pirates emphasize "sinkers" (presumably, 2-seam fastballs)? I've heard a LOT about the emphasis on fastball command, but have never read or heard anything stating they emphasize 2-seamers to the exclusion of 4-seamers.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been down on the Pirates for years,looks like they may prove me wrong this year

this is the best they have looked in a long time,,,,,,

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now for some personal opinion. I personally do not like the organizations approach on pitching. We draft guys because of the pitches they throw and their body type and projectibility. Then he have them pitch like they can't throw the ball 96+ MPH, or like they don't have a plus plus breaking pitch. We develop them to pitch sinkers sinkers and more sinkers. Now at this level, along with fastball command, they also have them working on change-ups. This makes a lot of sense, but I am not sure the sinker, change-up combination is the best way to develop a pitching staff.

thanks for all the info. i am on record many places about disagreeing with how the pirates and many teams develop pitchers. from inning limits, pitch counts, throwing regimens between games, and what pitches to use.

you and i dont always agree but i like your depth of discussion. thank you.
have a great day.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks much for that post, crow. (Tried to approve it, but got that "spread it around" message again.) Thanks especially for your comments on Stallings. I gotta pull for a guy like that..... and hope that he will hit enough to progress.

As you acknowledge, it's hard to take stats from short-season ball and draw any conclusions. On the other hand, good stats are better than bad stats.

I'm pretty high on Heredia, Holmes, and Gaffney so far, but haven't actually seen them play, and will reserve judgement until they perform at higher levels.

One question: Where did you get the notion that the Pirates emphasize "sinkers" (presumably, 2-seam fastballs)? I've heard a LOT about the emphasis on fastball command, but have never read or heard anything stating they emphasize 2-seamers to the exclusion of 4-seamers.

I can't say that I have actually heard it, but just reading some articles and game reports it is what I am lead to believe. Cole sits 92-95 in games, Taillon sits 92-94, Heredia sits just above 90. All three posess 4 seamers that hit 96+, Cole can hit 100's. Kingham has hit 95 in the past and sits 88-91, the list goes on and on.
I also find it hard to believe that any pitcher has as much trouble "commanding" a 4 seam fastball, which IMO is more of a location pitch. The 2 seamer is the fastball that you need to command or it tends to be left up in the zone, and thus very hittable. Leading to more HR's and hits against. When batters lay off of 4 seamers, they typically are still in the zone, or close to it, however, 2 seamers rarely finish in the strike zone, which leads to more walks. All of these thing seem to plague our minor league pitchers at times.
Again, I have no proof nor have I seen any one of these pitchers pitch a game in our minor league system, it is just an inferrence that I am drawing from the numbers I see and the reports I read.
Now, the reason I don't feel a 2 seamer and change-up mix is the best chance for success is:
1. The pitches while different speeds, tend to have the same motion on them, allowing batters to concentrate in a particular spot.
2. Unless a pitcher has a plus plus change or 2 seamer, neither one is typically a swing and miss pitch, both are designed to get weak grounders.
3. This one is just my personal opinion, but until proven wrong I will maintain it, changing anything about a baseball player that doesn't need to be changed does not help the player. i.e. If you draft a strike out pitcher, with any dominant pitch, or 2, or 3, and then making that pitcher adjust to a different philosophy, only creates things for that [pitcher to work on outside of just improving on the ability he has.

Lets take Cole, he has a 100 mph 4 seamer, a whipeout slider, and an above average change-up already, so why have him work on anything else right now. Get him to locate his fastball, and teach him where hitters have trouble reacting to change-ups and then work his slider in. He should not have been getting hit at all in High A, and he should not be getting shelled in AA. With his pitches he should have dominated both levels and be looking at a September call-up to help the bullpen. Instead, he is looking at repeating AA next season. He, just like Justin Verlander, and any number of other pitchers can work on a 4th and 5th pitch after they reach the major leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, crow. Thanks much for that expansion and explanation. I now understand where you're coming from, and for the most part, it makes sense to me.

Not sure about your last paragraph on Cole, though. He got knocked around from time to time during his last year in college, as well..... so I'm not sure the Pirates' developmental process is entirely to blame for his rough games as a pro. I remember reading that his fast ball had a tendency to "flatten out" (presumably, lose movement) when he left it up, and THAT'S why he got knocked around (when he got knocked around) in college. If that report was accurate, it seems that emphasis on fastball command might be a good thing for Cole.

(By the way, I think your quote from my post didn't work correctly because your bolding of my question carried over into the close quote tag, apparently disabling the tag. Perhaps Darkstone can fix that.)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, crow. Thanks much for that expansion and explanation. I now understand where you're coming from, and for the most part, it makes sense to me.

Not sure about your last paragraph on Cole, though. He got knocked around from time to time during his last year in college, as well..... so I'm not sure the Pirates' developmental process is entirely to blame for his rough games as a pro. I remember reading that his fast ball had a tendency to "flatten out" (presumably, lose movement) when he left it up, and THAT'S why he got knocked around (when he got knocked around) in college. If that report was accurate, it seems that emphasis on fastball command might be a good thing for Cole.

(By the way, I think your quote from my post didn't work correctly because your bolding of my question carried over into the close quote tag, apparently disabling the tag. Perhaps Darkstone can fix that.)

:yo:

As to Cole's pitching, I think it really is just a matter of learning how to use his stuff, one pitch at a time, before he becomes a consistently effective starter. I don't know if they're preaching 2-seam over 4-seam to him or not, but he does need to learn how to use his fastball to its maximum potential, or else that plus plus change won't do him any good.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you read these reports, Crow. But I know the gun in Altoona is 2-3 mph slow, and has been for a while, for what that is worth.