• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

On The Bubble

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE3:

I think this is Fauria's spot to lose, although he seems to be doing his best to lose it. Jordan Thompson blocks pretty well, and stays healthy, so he's got an outside shot, imo, to leap-frog the oft-injured Fauria. I've also red that Fauria isn't the most popular guy in the locker room, so there's that.

My money is still on him opening the season as the TE with Thompson to the practice squad as injury protection. Jacob Maxwell and Casey Pierce are practice squad candidates as well. Pierce is decently athletic and fast, although a bit more of an h-back type. Maxwell is a real darkhorse who could surprise this preseason. He's got good wheels for a TE and is highly athletic.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT4:

This one should be a good battle between Michael Williams and Corey Robinson.

With starter LaAdrian Waddle still on the PUP the reserve tackles have gotten more snaps than they usually would have, partially allowing Williams to emerge as a legitimate contender for a reserve spot after converting to tackle from TE last year.

The massive rookie Robinson has far more experience at the position, but it sounds like the coaches are pretty high on how well Williams has handled the transition from TE. At this point I'd predict Williams as the 4th OT with Robinson to the practice squad.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see converted DT Xavier Proctor to the practice squad, as well. He's reportedly shown some real flashes since making the position switch, so I'd imagine the coaches will want to use his last year of practice squad eligibility to see how far along he can get before camp next year.

Finally, there's a real possibility of adding a veteran tackle that gets cut by another team to hedge our bets until Waddle is back in the line-up...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the RT position looks much less stressful than it did a month ago. The O-line in total is not a worry for me.

DT is still a concern somewhat. QB2 for sure. CB3+ too.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the RT position looks much less stressful than it did a month ago. The O-line in total is not a worry for me.

DT is still a concern somewhat. QB2 for sure. CB3+ too.
I wouldn't be worried about CB3 and CB4 much at all, to be honest. In Wilson, Lawson, and the rookie Digs, it appears we have three better options than any of the guys we had at the nickel/dime spots last season. That's one area of the defense that should see a pretty drastic improvement, as we were pretty damn thin at inside CB all last season...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be worried about CB3 and CB4 much at all, to be honest. In Wilson, Lawson, and the rookie Digs, it appears we have three better options than any of the guys we had at the nickel/dime spots last season. That's one area of the defense that should see a pretty drastic improvement, as we were pretty damn thin at inside CB all last season...

I was thinking more about the depth behind Slay and Mathis on the outside. All 3 of those guys are slot corners allthough I guess they can play outside in a pinch. If Carter gets out there and looks like a stud then I will breathe easier.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking more about the depth behind Slay and Mathis on the outside. All 3 of those guys are slot corners allthough I guess they can play outside in a pinch. If Carter gets out there and looks like a stud then I will breathe easier.
I see what you mean.

Totally agree that we're pretty thin on depth at outside CB. They drafted Carter for that very reason, but I don't think he'll be ready for much of a role this season. With only 6 CBs (usually) kept on a roster that really only leaves a spot for one reserve outside CB, and one reserve inside CB.

I think drafting a kid with enough height (5'10", 5-11") to handle the outside, but enough quicks to man the slot would be ideal for one of those reserve spots. Basically just like a swing tackle- one guy who can cover both spots equally well...

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zenner also excelled in pass pro. Winn may run harder, but seems to have no field vision. Even Riddick was much better running the ball. Lions damn well better not try to stash Zenner on the practice squad. He will not even clear waivers IMO

"The Lions mixed in undrafted rookie RB Zach Zenner with their first-team offense at Monday's practice.

Per reporter Tim Twentyman, Zenner got "a lot of play" with the ones. Keep in mind Joique Bell (Achilles'/knee) remains out, but Zenner's skill set is similar as a between-the-tackles grinder. Coach Jim Caldwell acknowledged after the practice that Zenner was "fun to watch" in the preseason opener, where Zenner posted 56 yards on 14 touches and operated as Detroit's clock-killing rusher down the stretch. Zenner also shined in three pass-blocking chances."

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Lions mixed in undrafted rookie RB Zach Zenner with their first-team offense at Monday's practice.

Per reporter Tim Twentyman, Zenner got "a lot of play" with the ones. Keep in mind Joique Bell (Achilles'/knee) remains out, but Zenner's skill set is similar as a between-the-tackles grinder. Coach Jim Caldwell acknowledged after the practice that Zenner was "fun to watch" in the preseason opener, where Zenner posted 56 yards on 14 touches and operated as Detroit's clock-killing rusher down the stretch. Zenner also shined in three pass-blocking chances."

I think all he has to do is get comfortable on special teams and he beats out George Winn. Of course Bell could start off on the PUP too so theres always that chance for him to stick for a while longer.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Winn, seems like a great guy and good special-teamer, but I don't think we can expose DoubleZ to waivers, like Old Lion said already.

I wouldn't be shocked if we kept 5 RBs, and gave Winn a roster spot over a 6th LB, or a 5th safety, two roster spots that are basically dedicated to core special teamers. Winn plays in all 4 phases, so even though he's a listed as a RB, he's really more of a special teams ace than anything else. There's value in guys like that, considering a 4-phase special teamer generally plays a lot more snaps over the course of the season than the back-ups at most positions play.

Given the rate of injury at RB, too, keeping 5 guys makes some sense given what we have at the position right now...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the article, but they have the Lions cutting Zenner:mad2:
Just speculation on that guy's part. Zenner seems to be over-taking Winn on the depth chart, which wasn't necessarily the case a week ago...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Winn, seems like a great guy and good special-teamer, but I don't think we can expose DoubleZ to waivers, like Old Lion said already.

I wouldn't be shocked if we kept 5 RBs, and gave Winn a roster spot over a 6th LB, or a 5th safety, two roster spots that are basically dedicated to core special teamers. Winn plays in all 4 phases, so even though he's a listed as a RB, he's really more of a special teams ace than anything else. There's value in guys like that, considering a 4-phase special teamer generally plays a lot more snaps over the course of the season than the back-ups at most positions play.

Given the rate of injury at RB, too, keeping 5 guys makes some sense given what we have at the position right now...

I think we can send 1 of the FBs to the practice squad too. We will only go with 5 WRs too is my guess.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Igwenigew (sp?) will be on the practice squad for sure. The coaches seem to like him quite a bit.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel they carry two FB's for any reason. The scary part is who is the backup during a game. IMO none of the TE's can step in. Maybe Pettigrew could?? or Mike Williams if for some reason he can make the roster.

Williams would be sweet to see... A fucking 300 LB. lead blocker.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel they carry two FB's for any reason. The scary part is who is the backup during a game. IMO none of the TE's can step in. Maybe Pettigrew could?? or Mike Williams if for some reason he can make the roster.

Williams would be sweet to see... A fucking 300 LB. lead blocker.

As a RB, you need to be able to squeeze past that lead blocker. It's much easier to squeeze past a 240 lb. dozer.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a RB, you need to be able to squeeze past that lead blocker. It's much easier to squeeze past a 240 lb. dozer.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 3rd and short or goal line. Just follow the fat bastard to 6 or 1st & 10.

Hell, I'm actually hoping Lombardi utilizes the FB more this year. IMO he tipped his plays too much last year. Using a FB for several series could help that.