• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OMG...wacko, out there, desperation ?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Reds.com they were talking about what if's...troubling this close to opening day, and these gems came up-

I didnt post this for the sane what OF's, like Neftali Soto making the team as a guy that could catch, or a double -A rookie SP filling a SP spot for a week...or Hoover closing.

But Billy Hamilton as the backup SS ? In case they decide not keep any of the "utility" players (Negron, Nelson, etc.) in camp. The kid made about as many errors as he had games at SS- and he thankfully hasn't played there in over a year. I love Hamilton, but im not sure there has been a worse minor league middle infielder since B.J. Upton made 4 dozen errors a year there. I'm hoping Cozart wants to start pursuing Ripken's Consecutive Games record this year. A game or two, maybe, but a week is too long... I might prefer Mike Leake as the backup SS, really.

It's probably just talk, predicated on the rash of injuries and 40 man roster issues...isn't it ?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and the idea the offense is expected to make up for the (temporarily) short pitching staff ?

It sounds good, as a wish...but it's been a while since that happened on a regular basis. Just saying.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sort of talk is kind of: "Say, Bryan, what are your backup options at SS?"
Price, pensive, finally says: "Well, without tearing up the entire roster with 5 days left in S.T., I'd say we could use Hamilton there. He has, after all, PLAYED some shortstop."

So that would be in case Cozart limps off the field and they need somebody right now. He isn't going to put Manny Parra at SS. A day later, they call up somebody who probably doesn't hit any better than Parra.

All this spring has done is point very strongly to the fact that a team has to spend a little time finding adequate bench players. They have to be cheap, or else they are starting for somebody else. They also have to be able to bunt. And hit a cutoff man. Team guys, good chemistry, all that shit.

But the problem is, a bench needs to be able to hit. The problem is, beside that, that most guys who can hit, if they are on the bench, means they can't field. They probably also strike out 15 times out of 50 at-bats.

Remember, the Reds CUT Henry Rodriquez, who has at least played the infield. So, what's that telling you? I think the Reds front office is clueless about building a bench.

And no, that doesn't mean it needed to have Grady Sizemore. We already got one of them.

And Nefi Soto will catch a big-league game when pigs fly. Either that or it's 20-1, which is hardly what I'd call an emergency.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Dodgers have a $180M payroll and a $2 bench. It's not uncommon. It's all relative. One of my arguments with previous Reds teams was Dusty played his bench too much, when he really didnt have to. The flip side of that is, if you're trying to win, no team can play their bench very much...if those guys were good enough to play regularly on a winner, they wouldn't be on the bench.

In not too worried about Soto catching the last 2 innings of a blowout, I'm more worried about Todd Frazier or Billy Hamilton having to play 2 weeks at SS, and whoever takes their previous position contributing to the downward talent level. The only thing worse than a guy playing out of position is 2 more playing out if their role. I think that having 4 guys that have 1b/3b on their résumé and only 1 that can play SS/2b is asking for trouble...especially if few of them don't hit better than a couple of pitchers on the team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most valuable guys in baseball are utility infielders who can occasionally get an extra-base hit.
At the trade deadline, they're gold in the bank to teams that need a reserve IF to make it down the stretch. Guys like Mariano Duncan or even Miggy Cairo will often be part of deadline deals. They only need enough range to swat down most of what comes at them.

Most pitchers can play LF for an inning.

Almost all catchers can take 10 throws at 1B and be comfortable there.

Not very many guys can just go "catch."

So talking about what is acceptable for a spring training game -- much different from when guys are actually trying to beat you.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C,SS,2b,P,CF can make you look pretty stupid with guys out if position. 3b too, unless you hit 30 HR. RF needs an arm, and a bat, not much range. Matt Adams, or 99% of 1b, didn't get their job because of their defense at 1b...LF is just a DH with a bigger glove on one hand, IMO.

I had to chuckle when I heard Ludwick saying he was lucky his shoulder surgery wasn't his throwing arm..who would have noticed ? If he doesn't hit, he might as well be the clubhouse manager.