• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OLB SPOT

Who do you think will win the starting OLB opposite of DeAndre Levy?

• Ashlee Palmer

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Travis Lewis

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Tahir Whitehead

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be whomever gets the playbook better. Both Palmer and Whitehead are both aggressive players who can do very well if they understand what they are doing. Palmer has not shown that ability in the past but improved last year in those last couple games.

I would rather see Whitehead, but Palmer looks to be ahead of him in understanding the defense. I think that is more important.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tahir Whitehead. Good size, looked good in limited action and on ST last season.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta disagree with you. We had backups starting in positions they've never played before. I think the LB core couldn't focus on their jobs alone last season because of the lack of trust with those behind them. I'm not trying to make any excuses for them, but I'm not sold on them being the weakness. In 2011 Durrant, Tulloch and Levy were about in the middle of the league IMO.

What were the LBs last year focusing on, if they weren't focusing on their own jobs? That is an odd statement to make.

I have to disagree though with the secondary having an adverse effect on the LBs. Detroit has struggled against the run and it has alot of to do with the play of the LBs. Too many missed tackles or not filling the holes. With Quin and Delmas back there this year, they will have a much more talented security blanket behind them, but it isn't as if it is going to make them better tacklers.

Detroit was ranked toward the bottom of the league at OLB and they lost Durant and a career backup is going to take over. It isn't as if they are now going to be better at the position, which is why I said it would be a weakness. Upgrades at other positions will help out though, in the passing game.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Levy miss two games and struggle through a hammy injury last season? I can't blame Levy for being streaky. For only starting 12 games last season and 11 during his 2nd season kinda puts him at a disadvantage with the rest of the league, wouldn't you say? Both seasons Levy was ranked near the bottom of the barrel.

What was Levy's excuse his 1st 3 years, when only one LB in the NFL had more missed tackles? Look -- Levy is what he is. He is a cheap fill in starter for the Lions. As has been said on these boards many times -- you can't have game changers at every position and no one is ever going to confuse Levy with a top tier LB.

Also -- not sure how you can say you are more worried about the CB position? They re-signed Houston, drafted Slay in the 2nd round, signed Bartell and have 3 draft picks from year before, two of whom had playing experience already. On top of that -- they signed Quin and re-signed Delmas, which will help the CBs tremendously.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised their is more doubt at OLB than the D-Backfield.

I think a Mayhew will find a castoff during camp that will be a short term fix.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Durant will not be missed no matter who wins his spot. That guy was an absolute bum. He was the Peterman of the defense. One of those guys that is terrible, but the coaches hadn't given up on the light turning on yet. Levy is decent, and some days very good. He is pretty good in coverage, has good aggression and run fits, biggest weakness is tackling. I am happy with him penciled in as a starter. Durant on the other hand would make a splash tackle every once in a while, but he was bad in man coverage, horrid in zone coverage, had a hard time with his run fits, and didn't have the big plays to make up for his weaknesses every where. I think that he might have been a guy who athletically fit our system, but never really got the playbook to where he wasn't thinking. That's why he was so bad but still starting. He was one of those guys that should have been the best we had, and was on paper, but never put it together so they cut him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with Falcon. Durant was an athletic specimen at the position, but lacked the instincts that are so crucial for a LB to succeed.

Also, Levy doesn't get the recognition he deserves in coverage. He's a perfectly capable threedown backer, as is Tulloch. As such, I think all this worry about who the 3rd OLB will be is getting overblown. Why aren't we discussing who will be the nickel back? That position will wind up getting more snaps on the season than the 3rd LB will, yet it's the OLB who everyone considers to be the "starter".

Whether it's Palmer, Whitehead or Lewis, said player is going to be a two-down player regardless. Still an important position to be sure, but no more, or less, of a starter than the nickel back will be...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably Slay and Green for the nickel, IMO. But I won't mind if Glover Quinn slides out and up from time to time. Not that I want Spievey to be counted on at safety, but I like the idea of GQ in different coverage schemes.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep it! Looks bad-ass-ed, maybe it will fool some rookie RBs into fearing him!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought with newer guys here. This might be a thread to bring back up top

bump

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honesty don't think it matters who wins the OLB job. Whether it be Palmer, Whitehead, or whoever else -- It is going to be an area of weakness for the Lions defense.

I think with all the holes going into the offseason with players leaving or being cut -- OLB is the one position the team was not able to address.

Gotta agree here. OLB will be the Lions back breaker all season.

One more draft, OLB and OL. Then the Lions will be able to truly compete for titles.

Unless we sneak into the playoffs and Stafford gets red hot, ALA Aaron Rodgers 2010.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep it! Looks bad-ass-ed, maybe it will fool some rookie RBs into fearing him!

:lol:

Trying to keep AP from noticing him and running to his side this year.