• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio State QB Situation

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, if only we all had this headache to deal with. OP may just have well started a thread titled "How should I spend my $10 million lottery winnings".

Yeah but I think the year after this Ohio St might be in freak out mode.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we debate Ohio State's embarrassment of riches at the QB position and who ought to start, I think the key to this situation--who the starter will be--is really how Meyer decides to use them. Who "starts" may be inconsequential. Meyer had both Chris Leak and Tim Tebow at the same time at Florida--he has experience having more than one talented QB on his roster at a time. The debate might benefit from a look back at how Meyer handled that situation. But, none of these QBs will be a surprise to the teams Ohio State plays this season--there's plenty of video. They each have strengths and weaknesses other teams can potentially exploit--along with Meyer's tendencies.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern isn't with who is selected to start, but the reaction of the other two and the team.

Things we don't know:
  • Are there "factions" on the team who favor one guy over the others?
  • If their guy isn't the one, will the team fall apart because of infighting over who deserves to start?

I'd much rather have 3 qb's than none but this is going to be a real job keeping the team together. Urban has stated that the response of the 2 guys on the bench will be the key and if it doesn't go as he thinks it should it will be his job to fix it (to which, rather crassly, the guy doing the interview said, "I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks."

Urban, in his own words: ""It's all to be determined. I don't know that," Meyer said. "I just have enough confidence and character of the people involved including their families that it's going to hurt, but I don't think it'll be detrimental. I don't think so. If it does, that's my job to stop it.""

Urban talks about the qb situation (again).

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern isn't with who is selected to start, but the reaction of the other two and the team.

Things we don't know:
  • If their guy isn't the one, will the team fall apart because of infighting over who deserves to start?

I'd much rather have 3 qb's than none but this is going to be a real job keeping the team together. Urban has stated that the response of the 2 guys on the bench will be the key and if it doesn't go as he thinks it should it will be his job to fix it (to which, rather crassly, the guy doing the interview said, "I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks."

Urban, in his own words: ""It's all to be determined. I don't know that," Meyer said. "I just have enough confidence and character of the people involved including their families that it's going to hurt, but I don't think it'll be detrimental. I don't think so. If it does, that's my job to stop it.""

Your analysis is spot on, Cwerph. As I noted above, how Meyer handles the situation is the key.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I believe JT Barrett is the best pure QB for Urban's system, Cardale is the best pro prospect at QB, and Braxton is the most electrifying player on the team.

I think Braxton will start.

I think JT should.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I believe JT Barrett is the best pure QB for Urban's system, Cardale is the best pro prospect at QB, and Braxton is the most electrifying player on the team.

I think Braxton will start.

I think JT should.

Interesting. And, Jones? Despite what he may say, will he be "happy" carrying a clipboard when he has his eyes on the next level and may feel entitled by his performance in the run to the NC? That's at the heart of your concern.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. And, Jones? Despite what he may say, will he be "happy" carrying a clipboard when he has his eyes on the next level and may feel entitled by his performance in the run to the NC? That's at the heart of your concern.
Cardale has grown up a lot between his infamous "We didn't come here to play school" tweet and hoisting the NC trophy. I was actually shocked that he decided to come back.

He could have taken the money and been paid to ride the bench, but he honestly wanted to come back and get his degree. He's a father now. The transformation has been fun to watch.

I will be more surprised if he handles it badly than if he doesn't.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Things we don't know:

I'd be more than willing to put a year's salary on the fact that neither of these two things are very accurate, most especially the second part. This team showed last year that egos mean nothing and comradery is everything. All 3 QBs are talented and all 3 seem to have the respect of the team.

If I were to wager, I'd guess Mike Thomas wants JT Barrett, while EzE wants Cardale. Either way, all of the talent on this team is going to thrive under whomever our starter is.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be more than willing to put a year's salary on the fact that neither of these two things are very accurate, most especially the second part. This team showed last year that egos mean nothing and comradery is everything. All 3 QBs are talented and all 3 seem to have the respect of the team.

If I were to wager, I'd guess Mike Thomas wants JT Barrett, while EzE wants Cardale. Either way, all of the talent on this team is going to thrive under whomever our starter is.
Accurate? They were questions, not declarations.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
These QB's better enjoy college since none of them are headed to the next level.
There you have it folks. The "expert" opinion. I guess the OP doesn't matter anymore.
For my money it should be Cardale. I love Brax. He is died in the wool scarlet and gray. Barrett is outstanding. But go back and look at how many of his TD passes and yards came from the 12" flip to the motion receiver. Stats aren't everything. Cardale will start this season and go pro at the end, JT will start next year maybe two. I could even see Urb rotating 12 G and JT some. Brax needs to change positions now instead of after the NFL draft.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Accurate? They were questions, not declarations.
I meant the notion that either thing would be true. If last year's team showed anything it was an ability to play truly all for one football, despite being loaded with stars.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These QB's better enjoy college since none of them are headed to the next level.

Oh good...another Ohio State Hater. You do understand that this is a college football thread about who will be the Buckeyes QB for '15 & not any of their chances @ the next level don't you? So blitzville who's your CFB team? If you say meeeechegan that will be hilarious.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but I think the year after this Ohio St might be in freak out mode.
I know. With only JT Barrett, the reigning Mr. Ohio (4* 2015 QB Joe Burrow) and one of the top dual threat QBs in the 2015 class (Torrance Gibson), we're really gonna be up shit creek.

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know. With only JT Barrett, the reigning Mr. Ohio (4* 2015 QB Joe Burrow) and one of the top dual threat QBs in the 2015 class (Torrance Gibson), we're really gonna be up shit creek.
And that is assuming Cardale goes to the NFL in 2016. I don't understand why anybody would think we have a QB "problem" next year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is assuming Cardale goes to the NFL in 2016. I don't understand why anybody would think we have a QB "problem" next year.
Even if all three go after this year (HIGHLY unlikely JT leaves, even if he wins the starting job), we will be fine. We are still loaded at the skill position spots and have 3 other QBs that are very capable of running this offense. People also have seemingly forgotten about Stephen Collier, a guy that Urban has always been very high on.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! That sounded pretty stupid on my part. Thats what I get for posting with a buzz.

What I meant was that it wasn't my opinion of "who should" start rather just who I think will.
Hahaha, no worries my friend. I haven't been here that long either, but posting under the influence seems to be a pretty common occurrence. It's all good.

:suds:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh good...another Ohio State Hater. You do understand that this is a college football thread about who will be the Buckeyes QB for '15 & not any of their chances @ the next level don't you? So blitzville who's your CFB team? If you say meeeechegan that will be hilarious.
Dude is a troll, no need to feed him. The fact that Cardale is a consensus 1st rounder for 2016 pretty much says it all.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give him that, 2011 was basically the Braxton show, but I still hate watching some of those games where he would put up duds passing and try so hard to rely just on his legs. It was frustrating as hell. Did you know in 7/12 games he played in 2013, he failed to even hit 180 yards passing despite averaging 21+ attempts/game? very bad.

Guys bitch the day of the game about anything they can when it doesn't go as they want it to. It hardly means it's actually viable or credible though. The Minnesota game might as well have been played in Siberia with the weather that day and he still had a solid day, and the only complaints I heard registered during the Indiana game was about the defense. I think you may have heard 1-2 guys complaining about JT here and there while ripping the team overall for both games being too close. However, stats don't lie. Barrett tore both of those teams up, through the air and on the ground.

That Indiana game he wasn't very good. Outside of the Va Tech game that was his worst performance. If you adjust it based on opponent it was his worst game of the season(Va Tech is obviously better than IU).