• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason - To Do

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats have built several teams with significant help from FA. As did the SB champ Broncos. And the Seahawks. And this years Jags, Eagles, and Vikings. And plenty of other good teams.
and we have a 20 year history of failure which i have shown but beyond that all those teams you mentioned were mostly built through the draft perhaps excluding the broncos

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and we have a 20 year history of failure which i have shown but beyond that all those teams you mentioned were mostly built through the draft perhaps excluding the broncos

I didnt really project too many signings. I think 2 receivers will be signed at the least to replace Pryor and Quick. My preference would be Robinson and Richardson. What I think is more likely would be Watkins and John Brown though.

I would love to replace Mcclain with Sheldon Richardson. (We almost traded for Richardson on multiple occasions)

Joekyl is a fringe starter but would be excellent depth as he could backup 4 positions and as we know you could never have too much depth on the oline. Could always sub his name out with another fringe starter type. Would just love to give a young "bust" the opportunity to work with Callahan.

And Burton is more of a wish. Hes a very good pass catching TE. He is also young and he'd be cheaper than Reed. Reed is 1 concussion away from retirement. I'm very very over Jordan Reed. I would try to trade Reed for anything we could get before he has no value. We would shed his contract and plug in Burton. Unlikely but the Skins would be better off if that happened.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tre burton is a 3rd string TE , do you want sprinkle to start with Reed gone or do you think burton is our starter ?

your wrs are worth looking into but word has it mathews will be tagged

i like TB , but joekel needs to be a starter

overall i dont like signing FA's because the vast majority bust out . we have like a 30% hit rate for the past decade . but you always have too , but just not 70% will fail

trading reed ? not there yet , cravens , i doubt we get much for him and we take a net loss but you cant trust him anymore

i will come out with a mock but your 1st 3 picks are ok because of the positions you went after . but getting 4 starters from this draft is unrealistic (at least in year one )

overall not a bad crack at a plan though

I didnt mention him but Jordan Matthews I think is a good possibility here as well. I already touched on Burton/Reed and free agency.

4 starters out of the draft is not unrealistic at all when those 4 starters are your 1st round pick, a guard, ILB, and RB. G, ILB, RBs dont require the same learning curve as pretty much every other position in the NFL.

Mccray is an absolute stud. I think he may have played himself into a 2nd round pick. Perine did not impress me this year and Rob Kelley is without a shred of doubt in my mind, the WORST starting running back in the entire NFL. We need to take advantage of this RB draft class.

We need a LG and you should be able to find a day 1 starter in the 2-4th rounds.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean... Cousins is probably gone unfortunately so we need a new QB
RB absolutely must be addressed. Kelley is NFL fringe talent and Perine has not impressed so we need a new 1st-2nd down RB.
We will have a new day 1 starter at LG
We will definitely replace Pryor and Quick with probably 2 free agents or draft or combo. Thats at least 1 new day 1 starter.

Offense will have 4 day 1 starters..

Defense
Breeland is gone.
ILB looks iffy.
We could and should improve the front 3.

Thats 3 new day 1 starters.

A total of 7 new day 1 starters is hardly unrealistic and at this point more of a probability. Though I'd prefer to resign Cousins and Brown I just dont see how likely it will be.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love Michel in the 2nd, but it looks like he might not be there.
the stretch again.

Agree - he will likely be gone by then. If so - NP - there are plenty of good RBs in this draft & the Skins definitely need to improve at that position.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt mention him but Jordan Matthews I think is a good possibility here as well. I already touched on Burton/Reed and free agency.

4 starters out of the draft is not unrealistic at all when those 4 starters are your 1st round pick, a guard, ILB, and RB. G, ILB, RBs dont require the same learning curve as pretty much every other position in the NFL.

Mccray is an absolute stud. I think he may have played himself into a 2nd round pick. Perine did not impress me this year and Rob Kelley is without a shred of doubt in my mind, the WORST starting running back in the entire NFL. We need to take advantage of this RB draft class.

We need a LG and you should be able to find a day 1 starter in the 2-4th rounds.

i have been watching mccray a lot at the sr. bowl practices . i like him , i havent finished the game yet though so keep quiet and let me see:D

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

name a team with 4 year one starters from a draft . i bet its rare

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints 2017
T: Ryan Ramczyk
CB: Marshon Lattimore
S: Marcus Williams
RB: Alvin Kamara

aside from RB those particular positions usually have a decent NFL learning curve (hence why their draft class was so good). Guard, Inside Backers, and Running Backs fare off better as day 1 starters more so then CBs, WRs, DE etc.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints 2017

aside from RB those particular positions usually have a decent NFL learning curve (hence why their draft class was so good). Guard, Inside Backers, and Running Backs fare off better as day 1 starters more so then CBs, WRs, DE etc.

ok name a few more . my point is i dont plan on 4 draft picks being starters year one and 31 teams didnt have 4 first year starters in year one (well 30 )

i plan on 1-2 . i am happy with more , this year we had 4 do to injuries roiullier , allen (not injury but legit ) nicholson and perine .

but when i go back more often then not you dont get 4 starters years one in the draft

later on i will tell you my expectations (for planning purposes ) what i expect a draft pick will become based on numbers

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok name a few more . my point is i dont plan on 4 draft picks being starters year one and 31 teams didnt have 4 first year starters in year one (well 30 )
Surprisingly, it's not all that rare. There are usually a few teams every year that have 4 rookie starters. This year, the Saints, Bears, Niners, Browns, and Bills all had 4 (or more) rookie starters.

I get where you're coming from, as in a team shouldn't count on getting 4 quality rookie starters from a single draft, but it's not blue moon rare.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprisingly, it's not all that rare. There are usually a few teams every year that have 4 rookie starters. This year, the Saints, Bears, Niners, Browns, and Bills all had 4 (or more) rookie starters.

I get where you're coming from, as in a team shouldn't count on getting 4 quality rookie starters from a single draft, but it's not blue moon rare.

Its not that rare.... and again I must reiterate some positions have a much steeper learning curve then others.

Guards should be plug and plays. Inside backers should be plug and plays. 1st round picks generally should be plug and plays.... Corners, defensive line, wide receivers? not always the case

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6 out of 32 is less then 1 in 5 chance and its one year. bad teams may get that many but i would like to think we are in the middle of the road area . but you did get my point and that is what really matters , good post

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints 2017

Problem is we don't draft that way. In fact we dont often draft for potential starters in mid at late round picks.
For instance, using those same positions our drafts generally look like this:

T:.Sam "open gate" Pickford
CB: George Coverless
S: U.B. Badd
RB: Slowe Smalls

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our individual history is not more relevant than the history of FAs as a whole. Fact is - theyve been succesful many times.

Nobody is saying you shouldnt be building with the draft. All I have ever said is that FA is a useful tool.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our individual history is not more relevant than the history of FAs as a whole. Fact is - theyve been succesful many times.

Nobody is saying you shouldnt be building with the draft. All I have ever said is that FA is a useful tool.

So basically, because other teams have done well while we have consistently failed, we should ignore how this team has done in FA because other teams have done well??

A Tool is only useful if the person holding said tool knows how to use it. a Torque wrench in the hands of some one who has no idea how it works is still very much capable of snapping of bolts.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love free agency. I just hate it when we don't use it right. Loved it when we signed Garçon, Jackson, Norman. What I don't like is when we sign guys with injury history, or guys who were good and are looking for one last payday.

I also don't like how Bruce has tried to be too cute and instead of getting C. Campbell from Arizona, who we chased, threw money at McClain and McGee. Maybe Campbell just didn't want to be here, but who knows.

I feel like the Skins are too timid in FA. Was it last year or the year before when we were fighting for the right to go to the playoffs with 25m unspent just sitting there. Can't have that with all the money we put in Dan's pockets.

Scot missed on a few, but they didn't cripple us they way Dan would when he missed. Norman and Jackson fell into our laps and Shanahan signed Garçon. Your turn Bruce. You got 54m to build this roster. Show me what ya got.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love free agency. I just hate it when we don't use it right. Loved it when we signed Garçon, Jackson, Norman. What I don't like is when we sign guys with injury history, or guys who were good and are looking for one last payday.

I also don't like how Bruce has tried to be too cute and instead of getting C. Campbell from Arizona, who we chased, threw money at McClain and McGee. Maybe Campbell just didn't want to be here, but who knows.

I feel like the Skins are too timid in FA. Was it last year or the year before when we were fighting for the right to go to the playoffs with 25m unspent just sitting there. Can't have that with all the money we put in Dan's pockets.

Scot missed on a few, but they didn't cripple us they way Dan would when he missed. Norman and Jackson fell into our laps and Shanahan signed Garçon. Your turn Bruce. You got 54m to build this roster. Show me what ya got.

Except that 25 million rolls over to the next year’s cap. Spending money just because it is there causes you to miss true quality later.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, because other teams have done well while we have consistently failed, we should ignore how this team has done in FA because other teams have done well??

A Tool is only useful if the person holding said tool knows how to use it. a Torque wrench in the hands of some one who has no idea how it works is still very much capable of snapping of bolts.

Yes.

There's no inherent reason to think FAs will always fail here.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

There's no inherent reason to think FAs will always fail here.

When you have the same two people running free agency that have shown a rare talent for failing at it. There is no logical reason to think they will suddenly get it right.