• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason Targets

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think you can predict injuries. It's mostly just bad luck. Some guys get luckier than others.

There are some guys based on history, that you can almost guarantee wont play 16 games in a season though.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who? And how do we know it isn't just bad luck?

Sean Lee comes to mind

Mike Vick

Griffin

Desean Jackson

Thats just off the top mind you.

Oh and Romo

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Lee comes to mind

Mike Vick

Griffin

Desean Jackson

Thats just off the top mind you.

Maybe. They all certainly were hurt often.

But how do we know its not just bad luck as a result of wrong place at the wrong time.

Take RG3 for example. Dude tore his acl cuz a 300 pound dude dove into his knee at full speed and then he kept playing on it on a terrible field. I think a lot of people tear their acl under those circumstances (Wentz).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. They all certainly were hurt often.

But how do we know its not just bad luck as a result of wrong place at the wrong time.

Take RG3 for example. Dude tore his acl cuz a 300 pound dude dove into his knee at full speed and then he kept playing on it on a terrible field. I think a lot of people tear their acl under those circumstances (Wentz).

Once or twice might be bad luck. Some guys just have a history of injury that really can't ALL be just bad luck. Some is playing style, and you got to think.. some guys bodies just cant take it.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once or twice might be bad luck. Some guys just have a history of injury that really can't ALL be just bad luck. Some is playing style, and you got to think.. some guys bodies just cant take it.

But if injuries are random (which is my assumption and I think should be everybodys until we have good evidence to believe otherwise), then some guys will get hurt a ton and some guys wont ever get hurt.

Thats just how random works. Random isnt everybody getting hurt the same amount as each other just at different times.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if injuries are random (which is my assumption and I think should be everybodys until we have good evidence to believe otherwise), then some guys will get hurt a ton and some guys wont ever get hurt.

Thats just how random works. Random isnt everybody getting hurt the same amount as each other just at different times.

Some guys are just more prone to injury. Be it due to playing style, the build of their body or what have you. Totally Random would be a guy who has been healthy most of his career blowing an Achilles walking down the stairs. GUys who constantly have back, knee, or ankle injuries. Guys who miss half a season due to multiple head injuries. At some point you pass the line of random and just become.. injury prone.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guys are just more prone to injury. Be it due to playing style, the build of their body or what have you. Totally Random would be a guy who has been healthy most of his career blowing an Achilles walking down the stairs. GUys who constantly have back, knee, or ankle injuries. Guys who miss half a season due to multiple head injuries. At some point you pass the line of random and just become.. injury prone.

You say that but there's really no proof which is my point. Player x getting hurt a bunch of times doesn't prove anything because that's exactly what we'd expect to happen if injuries are truly random.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say that but there's really no proof which is my point. Player x getting hurt a bunch of times doesn't prove anything because that's exactly what we'd expect to happen if injuries are truly random.

IF PLayer X gets hurt every year, or every other year... as I said at some point there is no Random to it. Every year I expect Sean Lee to miss some time. The only random factor to it is not if he will get hurt, but when. Because he is... stick with me... injury prone.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF PLayer X gets hurt every year, or every other year... as I said at some point there is no Random to it. Every year I expect Sean Lee to miss some time. The only random factor to it is not if he will get hurt, but when. Because he is... stick with me... injury prone.

But there's no evidence that's the case...

I get that's the typical narrative but we simply don't have much evidence that's the case.

If injuries are truly random there would still be Sean Lee's who get hurt every year. The existence of Sean lee doesn' prove anything one way or another.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehb, you are a Penn State fan. Just take Sean Lee, he couldn't stay healthy there either. Maybe it is physiology, I can't speak to that but he is just plain old injury prone. Helluva a football player though.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correlation not causation. Of course nothing can be proven in terms of injury; however, there is plenty of evidence to suggest being injury prone is a real thing.

I do believe the number one thing a player has that makes them injury prone is playing style...I am sure genetics plays a part as well.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all in all will more regimented training and conditioning limit those injuries or make them at least less severe?

Anybody remember Ken Harvey? dude was as muscle bound as anyone and had the flexibility of a wooden chair. Maybe it's time to go back to strength and conditioning coaches like Dan Riley.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty sometimes I wonder if these guys today don't over train. I watched my nephews who played college football and how big they got. I have watched NFL players I know go from 220 in the off season to 250 for the season and lineman even bigger. I think training and nutrition are further along these days than they were in Riley's days.

I also think players are more willing to not play when they are injured. Ask Riggins or some other folks from that era about players today (Riggins mentioned J Reed) saying he was very talented but probably wouldn't have lasted in the league with his injury history.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty sometimes I wonder if these guys today don't over train. I watched my nephews who played college football and how big they got. I have watched NFL players I know go from 220 in the off season to 250 for the season and lineman even bigger. I think training and nutrition are further along these days than they were in Riley's days.

I also think players are more willing to not play when they are injured. Ask Riggins or some other folks from that era about players today (Riggins mentioned J Reed) saying he was very talented but probably wouldn't have lasted in the league with his injury history.

I hear ya man, this is also a problem, over-training, which, again leads to increased injury. Trainers can be found almost everywhere these days, what's missing I believe, are trainers who balance the regimen to suit the player and the game including flexibility routines.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehb, you are a Penn State fan. Just take Sean Lee, he couldn't stay healthy there either. Maybe it is physiology, I can't speak to that but he is just plain old injury prone. Helluva a football player though.

Maybe. Maybe not. Until we have evidence I don't see why I should assume he's injury prone.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a tough one to reconcile. I understand fans & former players perhaps questioning current players toughness or reluctance to play through injuries. However the flip side is how it will affect these players later in life. Players from Riggins era (& beyond) have a history of all types of issues including head issues & the inability to walk or function very well later in life.

I know that we all want to see Redskin players available & contributing to the team, but I am alright with players not taking injury related risks if it results in better over quality of life both at the current time and in the future.