• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL Post-Draft Analysis Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General Thoughts

- Nice to have a draft where we think we know what the deal will be all season. Last season we didn’t know some teams would play 4 games and others would play 12. I didn’t think the season would happen at all. Last year I was 30% into the draft. This year 96%.

- Most notable thing seemed to be the lack of premium players to draft in the first round. Felt like the weakest first round I can remember. A lot of good keepers I guess but also many great skill players leaving the major teams from last season. I thought Kyren Williams and David Bell were can’t miss guys if they stay healthy but everyone else has some risk.

- Each owner pretty much up to old tricks. Navin with a few UCLA guys. JonBlaze picks a couple people I’ve never heard of, Scott tapping Texas, Texas Tech and Washington State QB situations, SportsGuru taking 4 hours each pick.

- An epic duel between Heisman Hopefuls and Waxy Frogs to see who can draft the most consecutive starting RBs from terrible offenses. In one corner we have Q. His first four running back selections are from Northwestern, Duke, Illinois, and California. But, just wait, he is matched, and possibly exceeded, by Waxy Frogs whose first 7 RB selections are from Colorado, Syracuse, Arkansas, Michigan State, Oregon State, Kansas, and Baylor.

- Don’t remember so many elite WR names available in second round in past drafts. I somehow did manage to miss on all of them but guys like Justyn Ross, Garrett Wilson available late Round 2/early Round 3.

- New owner held up very well. Very active and timely picks. Better than some of Scott’s other finds over the course of the last 15 years.

Analysis of Own Team
- Best keepers I’ve had in a long time with Young and Bigsby. Even had the #2 pick Berger as another keeper option coming into the year. Was pleased to get Armstrong value late 1st round. I’m quite comfortable with QB situation. RB I didn’t aim to add depth but Bigsby and Goodson should be a reliable 1-2 and I’m high on Beal-Smith. Since we ditched PPR, I’ve struggled with WRs. I very much thought of taking one of the premium WRs in Round 2 but went with Goodson. Got a guy in Fryfogle who is a half step behind those others like Flowers, Wilson and Ross. The injury to Bell reported just after I picked him is demoralizing during the draft. His coach loves to concentrate offense on 2-3 guys and Bell seemed like one of them in last year’s shortened season. Hopefully one of my upside guys like Velus Jones or Jacob Copeland break out since Bo Melton and Cam Johnson don’t play for great offenses. With Bell, I liked my roster pretty close to anyone else but now probably middle of pack to start out due to WR issues. Obviously, Round 14 is early for a kicker but I didn’t really see any player who I wanted badly who wouldn’t probably be there the next round so just went with a good kicker on a great offense to hopefully lock in around 11.5-12 points per week there.

Favorite Picks of Own Team
- Round 15 – Devin Leary – Not a player who is going to win me the league but based on how well NC State usually passes and all the talent at WR, this is really good value to me here. I like his late season schedule where I might need some starts. Doesn’t really run but could definitely throw in a 270yd-3td type of performance in a spot start.
- Round 17 – Beau Correlas – Last healthy season he actually put up pretty good #s alongside Dyami and Newsome. UNC is going to throw it well and everyone assumes its Downs or the younger Brown but Correlas was injured last season. He’s a very big possession receiver who could put up some TD numbers due to his size if he’s healthy.

Least Favorite Picks of Own Team
- Round 5 – Bo Melton – I sort of defaulted to his really high PPG from last season but I do wonder if his upside is there across a whole season. Since Bell is out I could use some upside here for WR2 but I didn’t see who else had a lot of upside with some dependability.
- Round 16 – John Emery – Ended up with two LSU guys on roster. Here I should have taken the player taken two picks later with more upside (Mario Williams). I forgot to do it and went with Emery with more limited potential.

Favorite of Other Team Picks (My list last year was Kennedy Brooks (opted out), Chris Brown (Terrible in short season), Richard Newton (Quiet short season), Matt Corral (BINGO), Mike Epstein (No). 1 out of 5 correct every year.

- Round 4 – Dawgfathers – RB Brian Robinson, Alabama – Clearly Alabama has much talented depth here but Robinson appears to be the started and trusted guy. He doesn’t have to be Najee Harris to make this pick well worth it at the end of the 4th.
- Round 8 – Asian Alley Cats – QB Casey Thompson, Texas – Tend to think that Texas will be pretty good this year. Dual-threat capabilities here and should probably get the first crack at the job. A player I considered a couple picks earlier so I’ll be watching this one closely.
- Round 10 – Waxy Frogs – WR Samori Toure, Nebraska – Cornhuskers can’t get worse throwing the ball and someone will have to catch it. Very depleted unit at the moment so maybe this transfer clicks right away. A lot of interesting WRs taken in the 10th round.
- Round 12 – Heisman Hopefuls – WR Emeka Emezie, NC State – Maybe not the most exciting pick but this player was quite productive and consistent last year. Someone who, if healthy, should be able to start when needed throughout the season on a team that passes the ball well.
- Round 16 – Asian Alley Cats – WR Mario Williams, Oklahoma – Surprised he was still around at this point in the draft with all the attention he’s gotten. It’s not like Sooners have a sure-fire No.1 WR that has proven it across any entire season.

Others Receiving Votes: Round 2 – Dawgfathers – WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State; Round 4 – Winsley’s Warriors – QB Adrian Martinez, Nebraska; Round 6 – California Raisins – RB Brittain Brown, UCLA; Round 21 – RB Khalil Herbert, Virginia Tech; Asian Alley Cats – RB TJ Pledger, Utah

Least Favorite Picks of Other Teams: (Last Year: Demetric Felton (Played well in short season - wrong), Sean Clifford (Yeah this was way early for him), Marshawn Lloyd (Got hurt), Isaiah Bowser (Good season for team but not for this player), Jake Bentley (Useless in lost season for Utah)

- Round 1 – Winsley’s Warriors – RB Jahmyr Gibbs, Georgia Tech – I know he’s ranked high by people but I’m just not buying it. Four games on GT schedule that I don’t think they will score much in. People like Sims also so is GTech scoring 35 points a game?
- Round 2 – Heisman Hopefuls – RB Cam Porter, Northwestern – Isn’t there a pretty good chance that the offense regresses back to what it can be when things are ugly in Evanston? I worry they just won’t score that much.
- Round 3 – California Raisins – RB Kevin Harris, South Carolina – Normally Navin is not a production guy but here I think the production is impossible to repeat, especially on a bad team.
- Round 5 – Dawgfathers – QB J.T. Daniels, Georgia – The Georgia QB seems to be taken early often in this league. Even if he throws it well, I can’t imagine he will get enough points to outgain the comparable players who run it some who were taken soon after like Purdy and Clifford.
- Round 7 – Skeet Shooters – RB Marshawn Lloyd, South Carolina – I’m going with both South Carolina RBs here. Amazing that the first team to have two RBs drafted is a South Carolina team that’s probably going 4-8 and scoring like 22 ppg. Lloyd marks the first player to EVER be featured on this list in two separate years and he’s never even played a down of college football. He was picked last year in the same exact round by the same exact team. Then, he blows out his knee, coaches change, and JonBlaze says “hey, I’ll take him 4 picks earlier”. I’m thinking that Lloyd rescued Blaze from a volcano or something. Marshawn is going to be a Soul-12 legend one way or another.

Others Receiving Votes: Round 1 – Waxy Frogs – RB Jarek Broussard, Colorado; Round 2 – Prancing Panthers – WR Josh Downs, North Carolina; Round 6 – Waxy Frogs – RB Sean Tucker, Syracuse; Round 8 – Skeet Shooters – WR Slade Bolden, Alabama; Round 18 – Asian Alley Cats – QB Graham Mertz, Wisconsin

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysis of Other Teams

Asian Alley Cats – The perennial kings of Soul-12 don’t bring their very strongest roster into the season with Ehlinger and Etienne finally leaving. Are we looking at the 2020 Patriots? The 2020-21 Spurs? Could Cam Newton be throwing balls at the feet of receivers? Is DeMar DeRozan out there shooting 19 foot fadeaways? We shall see. Classic QB approach for DC where Blitzer takes the QB rooms for Washington State, Texas and Texas Tech. The rest of the league will root for Sark and Rolovich to flip flop QBs during the season. The thing that would scare me about Washington State is that Rolovich is VERY likely to play multiple QBs from his time at Hawaii. I remember watching some games late at night where he’d yank McDonald who had like 300 yards by halftime. Both Dixon and Evans are high upside players and I am intrigued by Pledger late. The Cats dove right in to this year’s strong WR market with Mims and London so we may see a very strong group of WRs once again. If he can hit on one of Mingo-Bunkley-Shelton, Demas, M.Williams then it might be the strongest WR corps in league. I do worry about the impact of bringing Malik Heath into the normally cohesive Alley Cat franchise.

Heisman Hopefuls – Sort of starts behind the 8-ball with possibly the worst keepers in the league during a strong keeper season. Leddie Brown is mediocre keeper and Spencer Sanders is below average. Each of top 3 QBs come with dual-threat ability which is nice. I like the late stab at Abraham. At RB, I don’t really agree with the philosophy of taking the top RBs on the bad to dismal offenses from Northwestern, Duke, Illinois, and Cal. This feels like an RB room with quite limited upside to me. I do like the more balanced approach to the WR position than in years past. Recently, Q has drafted on potential above production but Travell Harris, Parchment, Martin, Emezie all have produced in the past. Harris should benefit from Renard Bell injury. Its possible he is one of the top 3 or 4 WRs in Soul this year at this point. I also like the Autman-Bell pick. The limitations of this roster are the limited upside at QB/RB to me. There have been years when I looked at Q’s roster and thought, “This guy is a bit out there but this roster looks pretty darn good.” This year I’m thinking more like “Q has straightened out a bit in his older years but I’m not sure there’s enough talent”

Orgy of Evil – I really like this roster and how it is constructed. At QBs, Malik Cunningham is a fine QB2. Even got the long term investment with the future Oklahoma QB. Taking in both Purdue QBs should give the team a 300 yard pass option each week as long as it is clear who is starting. Biggest ? is RB2 but Vaughn and Horvath may be options if Henderson doesn’t get enough touches beyond Jones who I really like. Another team that took WRs in both of first two rounds to take advantage of rich talent pool there. Then some upside guys on offenses that will score a lot from Penn State, Clemson, Wazzu, Ohio State, Florida. One of the best constructed rosters and a pre-season top 3 team.

California Raisins – I notice not quite as many Phil Steele VHT types on Navin’s roster but at least we’ve got a couple of Bruins on there. One very strong keeper and one poor keeper. Hope top two QBs stay healthy because the position is questionable after that. The top 5 RBs really could all do something but I’m not confident in any of the first three. Harris now has competition for carries and Kentucky is changing offense. Who knows what Wazzu will do with Borghi although I do understand the pick. Great 1-2 combination at WR. Seems like a lot of teams went WR in first two rounds more than ever before.

Winsley’s Warriors – Since his infamous 2018 draft, Winsley has improved his effort. I surmise that he has had more time to dedicate to the league the last three years while being unemployed. I like Martinez as a QB2. He runs so much and has no competition for snaps. After those two its quite a fall because I’m not buying into any of the other QBs. So much hype around Bijan and Winsley will need him to live up to that. The WR position has players in passing offenses that were taken early in the draft. I like the Taj Harris pick. He put up good numbers on that god-awful offense last year. I think his keeper here is good as well. Picks late at WR position were value oriented in Bell, Jackson, Ali. I don’t see too much upside at WR down there. I think this could be a mid-pack team.

Dawgfathers – During the draft I don’t think I realized how well the draft fell for this squad. In a draft with a clear first pick, getting #1 was a good start. To then have two star WRs fall to the 2-12, 3-1 turn and then to nab Wilson and Ross there is excellent. Adding in Brian Robinson, this team may have the best starting lineup in the league. My main question in that lineup would be QB2 spot. I don’t buy that JT Daniels is a great option at QB2 but with players like Rattler, Kyren, Spiller and the aforementioned WRs, maybe 16-18 ppg from QB2 is sufficient. Deeper into the roster I’m not so sure. A few players with potential upside I guess and Marks might be dynamic rushing-receiving threat for Leach. If healthy, this is a top 3 team based on the starting lineup.

Prancing Panthers – Starting with the QBs, I like this unit very much. Corral should be dynamic and Duggan and Hooker add running. Clearly a focus from this new owner on running QBs. None of them pass well after Corral but they might pass well enough with the massive rushing numbers. I’m concerned there’s no RB1 here and I have some doubts if there is even an RB2. Badie has tremendous upside but they’ve been resistant to give him the ball too much so we’ll see how much they feature him no in Columbia. Some interesting stabs at ACC RBs so maybe one of them breakthrough. At WR, I was surprised Downs went THAT early but clearly potential there. Can Auburn throw enough to make any WR start-worthy this year? Hobert pick was thoughtful after the injury to Bell.

Smurf Turfers – Boom or bust pick with Emory Jones. While not a great QB, Clifford should put up enough points. Not a very deep unit as more selections were made in other spots but the Pennsylvania QBs will be OK spot starters. Potential for a very dynamic one-two punch of UNC features Chandler and Ibrahim a proven commodity. Some talented RBs further down their team depth charts from Clemson, A&M and Alabama. We’ll see if Sanders is the main WR for Ole Miss I like the Brown pick a lot from UNC. Turner and Kemp provide depth and spot-starts. I think this team will depend a lot on whether Jones works out.

Skeet Shooters – I have concerns here after Bru McCoy news. Hall was great keeper but Penix doesn’t run enough. Jeff Sims is going to have to learn how to throw quickly for the Shooters. Could see Haynes King getting a lot of starts here for this team. RBs look fine to me 1 through 3. WR is an issue after David Bell who is probably the top WR. Maybe some of these longshots will hit at that position.

Drunk Jocks – Interesting situation at QB. The injury to Brennan actually may work out as a benefit since Johnson runs more and now its clear who the QB is. I think Rogers probably wins that job so I sort of like this position. I thought #2 overall pick was early for Berger but I do understand the history this owner has with Wisconsin RBs. Very interested to see if Red Snow gets one useful RB out of the Arizona State situation. I’m not quite as high on Burks as a fantasy producer as others and fascinated to see how Robinson does at Kentucky. Good value picks later at this position including Moore and Morin. Sneaky pick with Gary Bryant late after the Bru McCoy news.

Waxy Frogs – I like the top 3 QBs here. Brewer will be efficient and a good spot start. Clear that King and Jurkovec are the top two at this position. As mentioned before, RBs here are mostly from really poor offenses. I think Gray needs to be a star because I don’t really believe that Broussard will replicate last year. Like the picks of Hutchinson and Toure but I thought Presley pick was early for my liking. DJ Matthews was a good pick late. I agree with everyone else on that. Could see that one working out in that slot in Bloomington.

2021 Bovada Soul 12 Championship Odds (now available for wagering in most states)

7-2 Asian Alley Cats
9-2 Orgy of Evil
5-1 Dawgfathers
10-1 Drunk Jocks
12-1 Paper Tigers
12-1 Smurf Turfers
14-1 California Raisins
18-1 Winsley’s Warriors
20-1 Skeet Shooters
22-1 Prancing Panthers
25-1 Waxy Frogs
25-1 Heisman Hopefuls

Last edited:

SportsGuru5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random Thoughts
  • I think my keepers were okay. Lots of people like Bijan; Ezukanma is a solid option in that offense.
  • I went sort of conservative in the first round, but i agree with StevieB that other than Williams and Bell, I didn't see complete surfire studs at the top of this Draft.
  • Betting on Slovis to replicate Matt Barkley's 2011 season. Not sure if that trade up was worth it, but I wasn't in love with the QBs who went after him, and I feel having a reliable QB1 is key in this league.
  • The picks I am not sure of - Anthony Brown and Will Shipley back to back in Rounds 8 and 9. Probably too early for those guys.
Favorite picks of other teams
  • Smurf Turfers - Emory Jones at 13
  • Drunk Jocks - John Metchie at 24. I was tracking him earlier than that
  • Paper Tigers - Ty Fryfogle at 30. I took Walley at 34 and felt there was a dropoff after Fryfogle.
  • California Raisins - Jayden Daniels at 42. I would have taken him instead of Martinez. I've liked him since 2019.
  • Waxy Frogs - Trelon Smith at 81. Good value there.
  • California Raisins - Emeka Egbuka at 162
  • Asian Alley Cats - Agiye Hall at 200. I had typed him in for 198 and then decided to go with a "safer" option.
Analysis on own team
  • Good with my top 2 QBs, need somebody else to emerge as a viable option.
  • Need Robinson and Gibbs to pan out as expected; if I am to do well, I need these guys giving me an advantage every single week.
  • I'm concerned, like all years, about production and depth at WR. I like to try to mix upside picks with safe picks, but my WR roster probably has more safe, lower upside guys right now. Need 1-2 of those guys to emerge.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best part of the draft

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always buy into former 5* RB hype. Not sure why Marshawn Lynch was my selection when I picked him...maybe feels like he owes me. To be honest I don't feel strong about my college football knowledge and effort as I used to in the past. Finding stud QBs was a thing I kinda prided myself on being able to do (Mariota, Sam Bradford, Brad Smith, Cam Newton, etc) but hasn't panned out in recent years..... Got lucky David Bell wasn't kept and then made it to me. I tend to struggle with WRs and sadly was counting on Bru McCoy somewhat.

Draft went quick. Everyone's picks always seem pretty good to me lol. Favorite pick was Borghi pretty late for Navin. Not a sure thing but that could be a great pick up.

Guacamole Bowl here we come

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave my garbage team RBs alone! :pound:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thoughts on my own team....

My draft had a different kind of feel to it this year for me. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing but just a little different then normal. I didn't have terrible keepers but surely not as strong as I have had the past several years especially after having Etienne and Ehlinger as keepers to kick start my team the previous two years. I am very high on de Laura but really unsure what Washington State will do there. Gurantano has never impressed me and Cammon Cooper struggles everytime he steps on the field so I am confident de Laura will win that job and he has dual threat ability. Gurantano is very capable of succeeding in that offense if he wins that job so I felt I better grab him when I did before Q ended up getting the Washington State QB situation back.. ;)
It really felt weird going through a draft and not selecting Cammon Cooper for the 4th year in a row. I hated having to draft Gurantano but felt it was the right thing to do.
I think I am higher on Lyn-J Dixon then most people. I don't think he is Travis Etienne, but I have always liked what I have seen with his quickness and vision much like Etienne. I know there are several backs there and in a great Clemson offense number of carries is a concern but he has waited patiently behind Etienne rolling into his SR year and I feel Clemson will reward him and there is a reason he stayed patient at Clemson.
Zach Evans was a guy I never even really envisioned I would end up taking. I figured someone would take him higher then I had him pegged. That was the toughest pick of the draft for me to decide on. I had Brian Robinson typed in, with a picture posted about ready to hit POST REPLY and I talked myself out of him. It was one of the weirdest draft feelings I have had in the history of Soul 12. It was that feeling of this is what I should do but it isn't quite what I want to do. Maybe I was feeling a bit more fancy in the moment and I just decided to roll the dice with Zach Evans there. A guy I don't even really trust given his recruiting process. He has a bit of a feel of Darrell Scott to me but I hope for the best with that pick.

As I do most years I sorta of ran down some targets I really wanted in this draft and sort of played out a rough draft where I thought they would go in my head to get a better idea of how to plan who I take. It's hard the first 8 rounds or so but after that I feel I can get into a rhythm a bit more with who I want and where to take them. I really wanted to make sure I got LV Bunkley-Shelton and Jalen Mitchell in this draft. Really think they are going to end up as very good college players. I feel like most drafts and others probably feel the same after about round 13 or so you started to get everyone you want. Minus some guys you don't think you will get that fall a bit. I think this is what makes soul 12 so fun. You have to really know how to manage the draft with taking the guys you really want when it is appropriate, not too late, but not too early passing up other value. I waited on Demond Demas longer this year after an awful FR year. Maybe I could have waited even longer but sometimes you have to follow your heart. Hopefully my heart is better then it was with Cammon Cooper. I am not a big FR drafted as I have seldom had FR bust out. I took two sorta early the last two years and neither worked out at all (John Emery and Demas) so I waited this year and felt where I took Mario Williams and Aygie Hall who are two FR I really liked during the recruiting process seemed pretty good. Doesn't mean they will be great fantasy players this year but I at least felt good that I didn't spend an early pick to find out this year unlike the last two years on Emery and Demas. If Evans and Dixon are what I think they are then I think my team will have a pretty successful season barring Wash State playing musical QB's and both Texas QB's flopping. I like my WR's a lot. As always health can change things fast.

My favorite picks of mine were probably Casey Thompson, Jalen Mitchell and even though it was Rd 2 I was really happy to get Drake London where I did. When I took Mims in round 1 a big part of me felt I should have gone Drake London and I ended up with both. I think London is gonna put up huge numbers this year.

A lot of players I take are guys I watch from the previous years who may be hidden a little bit from players who enter the draft and Casey Thompson was one of the guys I really liked what I saw the little I got to see of him last year. I contemplated taking him earlier then I got him but stayed patient. I felt like maybe others didn't value him quite like I did . The thing with taking a QB in those 4-7 rounds is that when most others have taken their 2nd QB already you can use some logic and hold back an extra round. I felt like I was lucky to get Shough and Thompson but I also knew when I took Thompson that I better take Card as long as it wasn't too early. I remember in past years often early in a draft guys would take both QB's in back to back rounds. Seems like you don't see that anymore which is a good thing. I think too many people got screwed when neither QB turned out.

I think my keys to success will be (other then health that is obvious) de Laura/Gurantano. Sticking to one with consistent player. I think de Laura is the much better QB but we will see if Rolo believes in him to stick with him because there will be some bumps along the way. There was last year early on. I saw the good and bad with him. Just needs to be consistent this yea r and the other two players I hit on that I am really going to have to depend on will be Evans/Dixon. They have upside but there are some questions what their workload will be etc. Jerrion Ealy should be fine.

I am hoping SaRodorick Thomson will gain some consistency back. I had him his FR year and while not a huge yardage guy he scored a good amount and last year was a bit of a letdown for StevieB but he was also very banged up.

It was also weird to have a draft without Demetris Robertson being drafted. I swear he has been drafted the last 11 years.

I found myself staying away from Oregon this year without having a good feel for how things will go this year with them.

Ok on to other things.

Picks that stuck out to me from other teams as good value picks. Off the top of my head.

Joshua Moore- I really kept considering drafting Moore but passed a bit because I already was relying on the Texas QB situation to come along quickly this year. Moore busted out last year and I have always been a fan.. He fell off the face of the earth after a great start to the season but he was also banged up to the point where he probably shouldn't even have finished the season. I really think if healthy he will be the steal of this draft. I am expecting him to put up pretty big numbers. Texas has some good young WR's but really struggled last year at the position so there isn't a lot of proven WR's there to steal targets.

Chris Autuman-Bell- Like what I saw out of him last year. I think he puts it together this year. He isn't Bateman but he could put up similar numbers to Bateman his SOPH year. He has a 3rd year starting QB who didn't pass as much last year but if they don't run Ibrahim to the ground i think Autaman-Bell will be consistently good for Q.

Hassan Haskins- Normally I don't like Michigan RB's fantasy wise with the way Harbaugh uses carries but Haskins feels and looks more like Karan Higdon who was very good for me a few years back. Unless Donovan Edwards steals carries I think Haskins will be pretty consistent for Stevie. Not a MONSTER fantasy wise but could be similar to Higdon production wise.

Khafre Brown- I was pretty high on Khafre coming into this draft but not as much as Dyami. I don't think he catches the ball as well as Dyami or stretches the field quite as well as Dyami but I do think he makes a leap this year. He has good size/speed and while I think Downs will be a good WR I think Brown could be as good. Getting Brown in Round 10 when you consider Downs went early Round 2 you have to look at this as a potential great pick. A guy I really targeted to get in this draft but wasn't sure where to take him as the UNC WR field is good but very uncertain. There are a lot of options there. I like Correals as well and I like what i saw out of Emery Simmons and the undrafted Antoine Green. Didn't feel good about taking any of them super early but I also know 1/2 of those guys are going to be very good fantasy wise. Round 10 was a great spot to nab Brown. I was almost ready to take him but fell in love with Bunkley-Shelton as I feel more confident in him being a #1 but not on as good of a passing offense but still a good passing offense. I think this pick could really turn out well.

Jack Plummer/Aiden O'Connell... I know OB was forced to take both because of going with this situation but he didn't have to spend an early pick on either of them.... You know either way this situation should be productive fantasy wise and both of these guys have experience and have proven they can pass and they have one of the top WR's in the nation and have enough weapons next to him to put up good numbers.

I think I probably like the JT Daniels pick better then Stevie. Just have this feeling that Georgia is going to pass the ball a lot more this year and Daniels is going to make a stride much like Kyle Trask did last year with Florida.

I also thought some sneaky/sleeper picks included Maryland RB Peny Boone, Wash State WR CJ Moore PSU RB Keyvonne Lee, Okie State RB Dezmon Jackson, WV WR Winston Wright and Oregon St RB BJ Baylor.

Overeall, I think everyone did well. I think we had some people really improve this year. Maybe a litte more focus without covid concerns and I agree with Stevie about the new guy... @SteelersPride drafted very well and has been a nice addition.

Now... I bet you are all happy (cept Q) that you will finally stop receiving texts from me about being on the clock.

Q did slow down a bit on transfers this year but still add a nice collection.

Biggest Surprised Undrafted Players
Wayne Taulapapa, RB, Virginia (No UVA RB's drafted)
Sam James, WR, West Virginia (Not a great year last year but Doege will be more consistent and he has had a great offseason I expected him to get drafted)
Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor (Not sure Baylor will do much as a passing team this year but I thought he would get drafted.
Tristen Gebbia, QB, Oregon State (I will be honest he was pretty awful for me last year but when I needed him in the title game he did run for two 1 yard touchdowns which was the difference for me in game in which he did not pass the ball well. But no Oregon State QB or WR drafted this year.
Quinn Ewers- I know Ohio State has a lot of QB's on that roster.. But how did nobody draft this guy? ;)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, as always... Thanks for taking the time to do this Stevie. I know we all enjoy it.

If you are looking to unload Bo Melton hit me up. ;)

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysis of Other Teams

Asian Alley Cats – The perennial kings of Soul-12 don’t bring their very strongest roster into the season with Ehlinger and Etienne finally leaving. Are we looking at the 2020 Patriots? The 2020-21 Spurs? Could Cam Newton be throwing balls at the feet of receivers? Is DeMar DeRozan out there shooting 19 foot fadeaways? We shall see. Classic QB approach for DC where Blitzer takes the QB rooms for Washington State, Texas and Texas Tech. The rest of the league will root for Sark and Rolovich to flip flop QBs during the season. The thing that would scare me about Washington State is that Rolovich is VERY likely to play multiple QBs from his time at Hawaii. I remember watching some games late at night where he’d yank McDonald who had like 300 yards by halftime. Both Dixon and Evans are high upside players and I am intrigued by Pledger late. The Cats dove right in to this year’s strong WR market with Mims and London so we may see a very strong group of WRs once again. If he can hit on one of Mingo-Bunkley-Shelton, Demas, M.Williams then it might be the strongest WR corps in league. I do worry about the impact of bringing Malik Heath into the normally cohesive Alley Cat franchise.

Heisman Hopefuls – Sort of starts behind the 8-ball with possibly the worst keepers in the league during a strong keeper season. Leddie Brown is mediocre keeper and Spencer Sanders is below average. Each of top 3 QBs come with dual-threat ability which is nice. I like the late stab at Abraham. At RB, I don’t really agree with the philosophy of taking the top RBs on the bad to dismal offenses from Northwestern, Duke, Illinois, and Cal. This feels like an RB room with quite limited upside to me. I do like the more balanced approach to the WR position than in years past. Recently, Q has drafted on potential above production but Travell Harris, Parchment, Martin, Emezie all have produced in the past. Harris should benefit from Renard Bell injury. Its possible he is one of the top 3 or 4 WRs in Soul this year at this point. I also like the Autman-Bell pick. The limitations of this roster are the limited upside at QB/RB to me. There have been years when I looked at Q’s roster and thought, “This guy is a bit out there but this roster looks pretty darn good.” This year I’m thinking more like “Q has straightened out a bit in his older years but I’m not sure there’s enough talent”

Orgy of Evil – I really like this roster and how it is constructed. At QBs, Malik Cunningham is a fine QB2. Even got the long term investment with the future Oklahoma QB. Taking in both Purdue QBs should give the team a 300 yard pass option each week as long as it is clear who is starting. Biggest ? is RB2 but Vaughn and Horvath may be options if Henderson doesn’t get enough touches beyond Jones who I really like. Another team that took WRs in both of first two rounds to take advantage of rich talent pool there. Then some upside guys on offenses that will score a lot from Penn State, Clemson, Wazzu, Ohio State, Florida. One of the best constructed rosters and a pre-season top 3 team.

California Raisins – I notice not quite as many Phil Steele VHT types on Navin’s roster but at least we’ve got a couple of Bruins on there. One very strong keeper and one poor keeper. Hope top two QBs stay healthy because the position is questionable after that. The top 5 RBs really could all do something but I’m not confident in any of the first three. Harris now has competition for carries and Kentucky is changing offense. Who knows what Wazzu will do with Borghi although I do understand the pick. Great 1-2 combination at WR. Seems like a lot of teams went WR in first two rounds more than ever before.

Winsley’s Warriors – Since his infamous 2018 draft, Winsley has improved his effort. I surmise that he has had more time to dedicate to the league the last three years while being unemployed. I like Martinez as a QB2. He runs so much and has no competition for snaps. After those two its quite a fall because I’m not buying into any of the other QBs. So much hype around Bijan and Winsley will need him to live up to that. The WR position has players in passing offenses that were taken early in the draft. I like the Taj Harris pick. He put up good numbers on that god-awful offense last year. I think his keeper here is good as well. Picks late at WR position were value oriented in Bell, Jackson, Ali. I don’t see too much upside at WR down there. I think this could be a mid-pack team.

Dawgfathers – During the draft I don’t think I realized how well the draft fell for this squad. In a draft with a clear first pick, getting #1 was a good start. To then have two star WRs fall to the 2-12, 3-1 turn and then to nab Wilson and Ross there is excellent. Adding in Brian Robinson, this team may have the best starting lineup in the league. My main question in that lineup would be QB2 spot. I don’t buy that JT Daniels is a great option at QB2 but with players like Rattler, Kyren, Spiller and the aforementioned WRs, maybe 16-18 ppg from QB2 is sufficient. Deeper into the roster I’m not so sure. A few players with potential upside I guess and Marks might be dynamic rushing-receiving threat for Leach. If healthy, this is a top 3 team based on the starting lineup.

Prancing Panthers – Starting with the QBs, I like this unit very much. Corral should be dynamic and Duggan and Hooker add running. Clearly a focus from this new owner on running QBs. None of them pass well after Corral but they might pass well enough with the massive rushing numbers. I’m concerned there’s no RB1 here and I have some doubts if there is even an RB2. Badie has tremendous upside but they’ve been resistant to give him the ball too much so we’ll see how much they feature him no in Columbia. Some interesting stabs at ACC RBs so maybe one of them breakthrough. At WR, I was surprised Downs went THAT early but clearly potential there. Can Auburn throw enough to make any WR start-worthy this year? Hobert pick was thoughtful after the injury to Bell.

Smurf Turfers – Boom or bust pick with Emory Jones. While not a great QB, Clifford should put up enough points. Not a very deep unit as more selections were made in other spots but the Pennsylvania QBs will be OK spot starters. Potential for a very dynamic one-two punch of UNC features Chandler and Ibrahim a proven commodity. Some talented RBs further down their team depth charts from Clemson, A&M and Alabama. We’ll see if Sanders is the main WR for Ole Miss I like the Brown pick a lot from UNC. Turner and Kemp provide depth and spot-starts. I think this team will depend a lot on whether Jones works out.

Skeet Shooters – I have concerns here after Bru McCoy news. Hall was great keeper but Penix doesn’t run enough. Jeff Sims is going to have to learn how to throw quickly for the Shooters. Could see Haynes King getting a lot of starts here for this team. RBs look fine to me 1 through 3. WR is an issue after David Bell who is probably the top WR. Maybe some of these longshots will hit at that position.

Drunk Jocks – Interesting situation at QB. The injury to Brennan actually may work out as a benefit since Johnson runs more and now its clear who the QB is. I think Rogers probably wins that job so I sort of like this position. I thought #2 overall pick was early for Berger but I do understand the history this owner has with Wisconsin RBs. Very interested to see if Red Snow gets one useful RB out of the Arizona State situation. I’m not quite as high on Burks as a fantasy producer as others and fascinated to see how Robinson does at Kentucky. Good value picks later at this position including Moore and Morin. Sneaky pick with Gary Bryant late after the Bru McCoy news.

Waxy Frogs – I like the top 3 QBs here. Brewer will be efficient and a good spot start. Clear that King and Jurkovec are the top two at this position. As mentioned before, RBs here are mostly from really poor offenses. I think Gray needs to be a star because I don’t really believe that Broussard will replicate last year. Like the picks of Hutchinson and Toure but I thought Presley pick was early for my liking. DJ Matthews was a good pick late. I agree with everyone else on that. Could see that one working out in that slot in Bloomington.

2021 Bovada Soul 12 Championship Odds (now available for wagering in most states)

7-2 Asian Alley Cats
9-2 Orgy of Evil
5-1 Dawgfathers
9-1 Drunk Jocks
11-1 Paper Tigers
14-1 California Raisins
16-1 Winsley’s Warriors
18-1 Skeet Shooters
20-1 Prancing Panthers
22-1 Waxy Frogs
22-1 Heisman Hopefuls

Dang... Smurfs didn't even making the betting board. :(

Great write up as always. Still kicking myself for keeping Stroud over Bell... oh well.

Red Snow

Hoopla Cash
$ 769.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My tough decision was to keep Emory Jones. Guessing most people would have kept him over Treylon Burks and I may have as well had I thought about it a little bit more. I didn't think about my keepers much this offseason until the last minute. I think the combo of being covid last season ad being busy just had me a little less into Soul 12 this offseason but once the draft started I fully swung into it. I wasn't impressed with Jones the little sample size that I have seen with him so I went perhaps the safer route but also took a big risk in letting him go. I was actually hoping to use one of my last picks on Anthony Richardson thinking he will end up the better of the two QB's by seasons end. Emory could take significant strides this year though. My concern was that he doesn't look like much of a passer and he is pretty small to hold up as a running QB in the SEC. Only time will tell.

I did not want to handcuff a ton of positions this year. Last year I ended up doing it a little too early and felt like I wasted some mid round value on worrying about handcuffing some situations. I felt I had to do it with LSU and it is a good thing I did already. I wanted both ASU RB's because I felt both a very good and can probably start either at any given time and perhaps one really breaks out this year. I like my draft overeall pretty well. I think I did a good job of letting things fall to me and taking value while taking some upside at the same time. Jalen Berger was a tougher decision for me then I may have let on. The WR draft was very deep was a big reason I took Berger knowing I could still get a top WR likely at the end of Round 2 which I did with Metchie.

Favorite Picks of other teams:
RB Max Borghi (Navin)
WR Ainias Smith (Seahawk)
WR Parker Washington (Omar)
RB Kenneth Walker (OSU)
RB Jo'Quavious Marks (DHoey)
WR Tay Martin (Q)
QB Garrett Shrader (Steelers)
RB TJ Pledger (Draft Crazy)
WR Beau Correlas (Steve)

Least Favorite Picks
Jameson Williams (Q)
Quentin Johnston (Omar)
Stephon Robinson (Steelers)
Will Shipley (Guru)
Kobe Pace (Seahawk)
Malachi Carter (OSU)
Dontay Demus (Guru)

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems eveyone thinks I shouldn’t have kept Sanders.

my QB situation got saved with DTR as a qb1

I like getting Milton and coan as veterans who fill bye weeks

at rb I grabbed guys who should be bellcows, but yes they aren’t the best teams but brown and Durant both performed well in previous years without great teams around them.

My receivers are decent. I probably need Williams to be a hit as my upside might be more limited at recover than usual

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great write up as always. Still kicking myself for keeping Stroud over Bell... oh well.
Edited!

At first there was some confusion about state gambling regulations in the state of Washington so you were off the board but Q, Guru and Skins Devil did the legal research and we are in the clear.

Paper Tigers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stroud over Bell is probably close. Bell went 1-4. I'd think Stroud would have gone soon after that.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroud over Bell is probably close. Bell went 1-4. I'd think Stroud would have gone soon after that.

i probably take stroud at 1-3, or at least think hard about it. I was torn with bell and dtr as it was

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention the Travell Harris pick. I liked that pick pretty well before the Bell injury and now it becomes one of the best value picks of the draft.

I also like to see Guru trade up for Slovis. Nice to see him more active this year and make that move... A good move for him, IMO.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wayne Taulapapa, RB, Virginia (No UVA RB's drafted)

I thought about taking him, but having a running QB and them pretty much refusing to stick with 1 "main" RB usually pretty much kills any UVA RB value.

I think Boston College was the only other team with no RBs drafted?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following need to update their roster

@SteelersPride and @Navin101 If those players aren't added to the roster by the start of the season those guys will become free agents.

@JonBlaze You just need to add you 24th round pick.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about taking him, but having a running QB and them pretty much refusing to stick with 1 "main" RB usually pretty much kills any UVA RB value.

I think Boston College was the only other team with no RBs drafted?

Technically there were a few others like Texas but they also had a keeper RB.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Michigan QB's drafted might be the best of the best this year. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.