• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Offseason News and Rumors

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron always leaves himself an out. He said he can't "imagine" leaving Miami. Now, of course, he can say "I couldn't imagine it at that time, but things changed".

Now he says: "I don't 'plan' on leaving Cleveland". Which, of course, can easily be turned into "I didn't plan on leaving, but circumstances changed, so I had to change my plan".

I know that max contracts will be worth even more money in 2 years but if the Cavs aren't a title contender by then I can see LeBron leaving Cleveland again. Although if he walks away for a second time to chase more titles I think that would really hurt his legacy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that max contracts will be worth even more money in 2 years but if the Cavs aren't a title contender by then I can see LeBron leaving Cleveland again. Although if he walks away for a second time to chase more titles I think that would really hurt his legacy.

I think it's unlikely that he leaves. However, the interesting question will be about his legacy vs. his brand. The ship has sailed re: him ever surpassing MJ as GOAT. I think that even Lebron realizes that at this point.

Lebron seems focused on life after the NBA. He wants to have the type of brand that MJ and Magic have built and he knows that having a lot of rings helps with that.

However, he is also smart enough to know that the more rings he collects, the more it builds his brand. So, the question becomes, does he stay in Cleveland even if he feels he can't win any more rings thus helping his "legacy"? Or does he switch teams again in an effort to collect more rings and build his "brand"?

If memory serves, Lebron has said he will no longer accept less than max deals and will not sign any more long term deals. I can understand him not accepting any more less than max deals and the fact that the cap is expected to be higher in 2 years explains the current 2 year deal.

However, the current 1 year opt out and not wanting to sign anymore long term deals, seems to be about having a way out if he doesn't like the direction the team is headed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron sure had alotta nerve leaving South Beach & going back home! Funny that I can't recall a single Heat fan bad mouthing him until he left though. A question for anyone...w/o LeBron would the Heat have made 4 consecutive Finals appearances?

Heat fans bad mouthed him back when he let it be known that there was a possibility that he could return back to Cleveland one day during the middle of the regular season.

Besides, I, like other Heat fans appreciate what Lebron did while on the Heat for four years. But the relationship was mutual. It's not like Lebron brought his championship experience to the Heat. It was the fact that Miami had won a title without him which brought him over.

We don't like the fact that Lebron kept the Heat waiting around which prevented the Heat from signing marquee free agents while his mind was made up months ago.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat fans bad mouthed him back when he let it be known that there was a possibility that he could return back to Cleveland one day during the middle of the regular season.

Besides, I, like other Heat fans appreciate what Lebron did while on the Heat for four years. But the relationship was mutual. It's not like Lebron brought his championship experience to the Heat. It was the fact that Miami had won a title without him which brought him over.

We don't like the fact that Lebron kept the Heat waiting around which prevented the Heat from signing marquee free agents while his mind was made up months ago.

I didn't mean all Heat fans, my bad there. But LeBron's decision to join the Heat had NOTHING to do w/ their '06 title. Seriously how many players from that '06 squad were part of the Heat once LeBron got there, Wade & Haslam? It was about teaming up w/ other AS caliber players to reach that ultimate goal.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's unlikely that he leaves. However, the interesting question will be about his legacy vs. his brand. The ship has sailed re: him ever surpassing MJ as GOAT. I think that even Lebron realizes that at this point.

Lebron seems focused on life after the NBA. He wants to have the type of brand that MJ and Magic have built and he knows that having a lot of rings helps with that.

However, he is also smart enough to know that the more rings he collects, the more it builds his brand. So, the question becomes, does he stay in Cleveland even if he feels he can't win any more rings thus helping his "legacy"? Or does he switch teams again in an effort to collect more rings and build his "brand"?

If memory serves, Lebron has said he will no longer accept less than max deals and will not sign any more long term deals. I can understand him not accepting any more less than max deals and the fact that the cap is expected to be higher in 2 years explains the current 2 year deal.

However, the current 1 year opt out and not wanting to sign anymore long term deals, seems to be about having a way out if he doesn't like the direction the team is headed.

There's just something I don't trust about his return to Cleveland. Now I'm not a Cavs fan but I can see him bolting for a second time if he feels it's necessary. But as far as a max deal goes if I remember correctly not once during LBJ's career has he been the highest paid player on his own team. And for how great he is on the court that's simply wrong.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just something I don't trust about his return to Cleveland. Now I'm not a Cavs fan but I can see him bolting for a second time if he feels it's necessary. But as far as a max deal goes if I remember correctly not once during LBJ's career has he been the highest paid player on his own team. And for how great he is on the court that's simply wrong.

I agree 100% re: max deals and you do remember correctly, he has never been his teams highest paid player. The guy is the best player in the game and deserves to be paid like it.

I agree too re: there being something to not trust re: his return to Cleveland. I think Cavs fans are going to be in for some long and nervous off-seasons.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron is going to want to get paid BIG TIME very very soon. It's all good and well winning MVP honors and the odd championship every few years, but this is a business at the end of the day.

Hell, even Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudamire got paid more than Lebron last year.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean all Heat fans, my bad there. But LeBron's decision to join the Heat had NOTHING to do w/ their '06 title. Seriously how many players from that '06 squad were part of the Heat once LeBron got there, Wade & Haslam? It was about teaming up w/ other AS caliber players to reach that ultimate goal.

Actually, it had everything to do with that 06 title. Wade proved that he could win, and Lebron wanted to go to an organization that had championship experience (even if was just one title at the time). Had the Heat never won the title, Lebron likely would've went elsewhere in the summer of 2010.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AS we are finding out in football, eventually everyone is going to want max-type money. I think some of these players are getting to the point that they believe things about themselves that simply are not true. Eventually, as in NASCAR, they will kill the golden goose and then many of these "geniuses" will be very difficult to find.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% re: max deals and you do remember correctly, he has never been his teams highest paid player. The guy is the best player in the game and deserves to be paid like it.

I agree too re: there being something to not trust re: his return to Cleveland. I think Cavs fans are going to be in for some long and nervous off-seasons.

Very unreliable sources have already told me that a small percentage of Cavs fans have extra LeBron jersey's ready to set on fire if he breaks their hearts a second time! :doh:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it had everything to do with that 06 title. Wade proved that he could win, and Lebron wanted to go to an organization that had championship experience (even if was just one title at the time). Had the Heat never won the title, Lebron likely would've went elsewhere in the summer of 2010.

But the Heat at that time when he signed weren't the same team that won it all back in '06, only Wade & Haslem were still on the roster. Sure Wade was already a proven champion but I think teaming up w/ Wade & Bosh were the real reasons he picked the Heat. Just going to a team that won a title a few years before he arrived & w/ a different roster & HC isn't (or wasn't) the single reason he picked South Beach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very unreliable sources have already told me that a small percentage of Cavs fans have extra LeBron jersey's ready to set on fire if he breaks their hearts a second time! :doh:

:pound:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Heat at that time when he signed weren't the same team that won it all back in '06, only Wade & Haslem were still on the roster. Sure Wade was already a proven champion but I think teaming up w/ Wade & Bosh were the real reasons he picked the Heat. Just going to a team that won a title a few years before he arrived & w/ a different roster & HC isn't (or wasn't) the single reason he picked South Beach.

Keep in mind though, 2 of the 3 most important pieces from that '06 team were still with the Heat. D-Wade and Pat Riley. Wade had shown that he knows how to win a title and Riley had shown that he knows how to build a contender. The Cavs had no one in their FO that had shown they knew how to build a contender and the only player on the Cavs who knew how to win a title was the 30% of Shaq that was left.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind though, 2 of the 3 most important pieces from that '06 team were still with the Heat. D-Wade and Pat Riley. Wade had shown that he knows how to win a title and Riley had shown that he knows how to build a contender. The Cavs had no one in their FO that had shown they knew how to build a contender and the only player on the Cavs who knew how to win a title was the 30% of Shaq that was left.

I totally agree & thought about mentioning Riley. One reason LeBron didn't reach his ultimate goal while in Cleveland (please, save the city of Cleveland jokes for later.) is or was he was a kid w/ way too much power. Owner Dan Gilbert did everything LBJ asked for, even going as far as giving LBJ's "boyz" BS jobs within the organization. LeBron was the one that wanted the liked of...Mo Williams, Delonte West, old Shaq, Jamison & so on as teammates. Now if his monster-sized ego insists on calling the roster shots the Cavs organization will see LeBron leave the organization again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree & thought about mentioning Riley. One reason LeBron didn't reach his ultimate goal while in Cleveland (please, save the city of Cleveland jokes for later.) is or was he was a kid w/ way too much power. Owner Dan Gilbert did everything LBJ asked for, even going as far as giving LBJ's "boyz" BS jobs within the organization. LeBron was the one that wanted the liked of...Mo Williams, Delonte West, old Shaq, Jamison & so on as teammates. Now if his monster-sized ego insists on calling the roster shots the Cavs organization will see LeBron leave the organization again.

The bolded is an interesting point. When he was growing up, guys like Shaq and Jamison were top players in the league and a couple of the players that he was watching.

Then, he comes to the Cavs as still a kid and for all intents and purposes, becomes the de-facto GM. Who does he pick for his team? Guys that he idolized growing up, not realizing that they were no longer the players he watched as a kid.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is still gettin his boyz, we'll see if he picked up any sense from Riley.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is still gettin his boyz, we'll see if he picked up any sense from Riley.

Looking at it this from public perception, it doesn't appear that he's learned a thing. He's essentially taken the Miami Heat bench (if they get Ray Allen) and swapped out Bosh and Wade for Love and Irving. Yet, expects to win a title in the same fashion, even though the blue print to beating the Heat's big 3 was put on display in the Finals by the Spurs. Granted, it takes the personnel to pull off what the Spurs did, but the fact still remains.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well LeBron was gonna listen to Jimmy B's pitch & join your Lakers but he put 2 & 2 together & figured out that Fresno is not beach front property.

mick7-1961

Commerce Comet
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10469671_677431195673683_5372299885798747725_n.jpg