• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh! I went to Cook-out TWICE this past weekend. Cook-out trays are money and the milkshakes are crazy good! Wish that was there when I was in B-burg.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images
Minute_20Maid.jpg

.......For me

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People would always get rails to get wasted. IMO, if you wanted to get wasted quick, I recommend the Jumbo Tex Margarita from El Rods. Gotta love a Margarita that's brownish from all the tequila used. Do they still serve booze? When I graduated, I think they had lost their ABC license for serving minors.

El Rods still serves minors; their waiters just look at the birth date and not the face. I've been tempted to hand them a girl's license before. But Jumbo Tex's are dead to me. People think that they're a good deal, but there is hardly any liquor in them (I'll say 2 shots, maybe 3 on a good day). They may seem strong, but the bitter taste isn't actually from the liquor, it's from the insane amount of syrup and sugar they pour in. The only thing Jumbo Tex's are good for is the runs.

If you want a good happy hour deal, head over to Sharkey's. Great deals on mixed drinks and you can get a 32 oz Yuengling for 3.50.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok...
A. I LOVE RAILS!! rails, long island iced teas from sharkeys, and everclear slushies from breakers in columbia, sc are my 3 favorite drinks on this earth.
Usually hit sharkeys happy hour for about a half dozen trips to long island, then roanoke street or progress street for some more pregaming, then shower in 2 or 3 rails.
B. partying at JMU is shitty. a lot of trashy guido yankees and whores
C. radford sucks.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
An idea for change to the recruiting threads:

Why not have a locked thread (only info no discussion) with individual post for the guys we are actively recruiting. You could do this after the spring game every year when the list has been trimmed some. Any rumors, articles, or nuggets from the insiders could be edited in to each recruits post (by the mods), basically creating a SportsHoopla profile. You could also include links to profiles provided by the recruiting services.

My apologies to chrish and others for not agreeing with this earlier. (rep has been awarded)

My apologies to 46 if this is too much work.

My apologies to the board if you guys arent for this.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An idea for change to the recruiting threads:

Why not have a locked thread (only info no discussion) with individual post for the guys we are actively recruiting. You could do this after the spring game every year when the list has been trimmed some. Any rumors, articles, or nuggets from the insiders could be edited in to each recruits post (by the mods), basically creating a SportsHoopla profile. You could also include links to profiles provided by the recruiting services.

My apologies to chrish and others for not agreeing with this earlier. (rep has been awarded)

My apologies to 46 if this is too much work.

My apologies to the board if you guys arent for this.

I'm not trying to have anyone do extra work; if anything I'll volunteer to find the non-essential stuff. I just figured that since it is inevitable that we stray slightly off topic, it might be easier for the mods just to designate a discussions area where deviating to discussing UVA's shortcomings is ok.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thread with just a list of players with offers and where they committed would be fine. could just be 1 post that gets updated. Keep the current thread as it is IMO

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a MAJOR development in terms of NCAA academic requirements that will be implemented in 2015:

With Nike EYBL in town, time to publicize NCAA's new academic standards

QUOTES:

"Starting in 2015, the NCAA is raising initial-eligibility standards. In order to compete as freshmen, athletes will need to have been better high school students."

"Presently, in order to qualify for an athletics grant-in-aid and be eligible as a freshman, a prospect must have at least a 2.0 grade-point average in 16 core courses with a 1,010 SAT or 86 ACT.

The higher your GPA, the lower the required test score. For example, a recruit with a 2.5 GPA needs either an 820 SAT or 68 ACT. Hence the term "sliding scale."

In 2015, the minimum GPA and test scores increase to 2.3 and 1,080 SAT or 93 ACT. A 2.5 GPA will require a 1,000 SAT or 85 ACT.

Those are significant bumps but only half the story.

The most jarring change is this: Ten of the 16 core courses must be completed before a prospect's senior year. Moreover, those 10 grades are, in the NCAA's words, "locked in for the purpose of GPA calculation."

Translation: Say goodbye to retaking courses as a senior and/or attending senior-year summer school to compensate for past shortcomings."

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thread with just a list of players with offers and where they committed would be fine. could just be 1 post that gets updated. Keep the current thread as it is IMO

That is what the first post in the recruit thread essentially is.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh! I went to Cook-out TWICE this past weekend. Cook-out trays are money and the milkshakes are crazy good! Wish that was there when I was in B-burg.

If you have the will-power, buy a banana pudding shake and take it home and put it in the freezer for a day. They are 10 times better the next day.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean buy 2.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyone else following the changes to the BCS?

Brett McMurphy is reporting that AQ's are already out and the AP is reporting a 4 team PO is in the works!

Brett McMurphy‏@McMurphyCBS
AQ/non-AQ is gone, but make no mistake: power leagues will get most $$. Question is if Big East is still in that group

Brett McMurphy‏@McMurphyCBSReply
Hancock: "We are not going to designate conferences as AQ and non-AQ" beginning in 2014

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...Mh4XLQ?docId=1e30d5a329754676abddc9f86e77a27f

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing AQ conferences may not be good for the ACC. I like that they are talking about 4-team playoff, but I will wait for it to be official before I get excited.