• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Conversations with Rangers manager Jeff Banister have softened Shin-Soo Choo's stance on designated hitter.

In January, Choo balked at anything more than a cameo role in the position. After hearing out Banister, Choo has come around on the subject.

"The opportunity to make a better team, I can do that," Choo said Wednesday. "I play for the team first. Everybody comes to spring training working hard for the season with only one goal: win the World Series. That's why I'm here.

"I talked to Banny about what's best for me and best for the team. It's always what's best for the team."

The next step for Banister is to determine the rate at which Choo will be used at DH. Defense will figure into that.

The Rangers had mediocre, at best, outfield defense last season. According to The Fielding Bible, associated with analytics godfather Bill James, they were minus-11 in runs saved by the outfield, the fifth-worst score in the American League. Boston led at plus-42.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers ace Hamels pleased with outing in minor-league game

Hamels, pitching in a High A game, worked two scoreless innings, striking out three, before allowing a triple and a single to open the third. He also hit a batter in the inning but picked off a runner.

Somehow doing that against High A players doesn't impress me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The right fielder/designated hitter hasn’t played on consecutive days so far this spring, but that’s been entirely by design. He’s certain he can do, but he’s making a concerted effort this spring for the first time in his career to take things nice and easy.

Choo is concerned about the number of pitches he didn’t see last season after four stints on the disabled list, something he and manager Jeff Banister discussed Tuesday. Choo has noticed in the games he has played that he isn’t seeing the ball as well as he normally does and has chased some pitches out of the strike zone.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general thought is that Joey Gallo has had a good spring camp. Do you agree? I think he has, too. He’s had three or four balls he’s smoked to the right side that have been outs, but it’s loud contact. There’s a calmness at the plate, a comfort taking pitches. Some of the things they’ve worked on in the cage you’ve seen it in games. The way he’d handled the normal ups and downs of springs has been great. I’m encouraged.

Rangers GM Daniels: WBC players not affecting spring prep work

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that Josh Morgan is doing some catching again this spring.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general thought is that Joey Gallo has had a good spring camp. Do you agree? I think he has, too. He’s had three or four balls he’s smoked to the right side that have been outs, but it’s loud contact. There’s a calmness at the plate, a comfort taking pitches. Some of the things they’ve worked on in the cage you’ve seen it in games. The way he’d handled the normal ups and downs of springs has been great. I’m encouraged.

Rangers GM Daniels: WBC players not affecting spring prep work

Not encouraged or discouraged. Let's look at his numbers including K rate around the all star break.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Jamey Newberg today.

"Profar is hitting .522/.577/.870 for the Netherlands squad in the World Baseball Classic, which has moved into the Championship Round along with Japan, awaiting the arrival of two of the United States, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. Nobody with as many as Profar’s 23 WBC at-bats has as high a batting average, or as high an on-base, or as high a slug, or as high an OPS among the 16 team’s hundreds of players, and nobody has as many as his six extra-base hits.

It’s an absurdly small sample, but notable if for no other reasons than the level of competition and the relative stake of the at-bats."

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Jamey Newberg today.

"Profar is hitting .522/.577/.870 for the Netherlands squad in the World Baseball Classic, which has moved into the Championship Round along with Japan, awaiting the arrival of two of the United States, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. Nobody with as many as Profar’s 23 WBC at-bats has as high a batting average, or as high an on-base, or as high a slug, or as high an OPS among the 16 team’s hundreds of players, and nobody has as many as his six extra-base hits.

It’s an absurdly small sample, but notable if for no other reasons than the level of competition and the relative stake of the at-bats."

Probably not good to make a total buy in but still think this sparks optimism

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers ace Hamels pleased with outing in minor-league game

Hamels, pitching in a High A game, worked two scoreless innings, striking out three, before allowing a triple and a single to open the third. He also hit a batter in the inning but picked off a runner.

Somehow doing that against High A players doesn't impress me.

Thinking pitchers are still working on specific pitches. Late spring is more telltale IMO. Hamel's history affords him a bit more slack than Nick or Cheech

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking pitchers are still working on specific pitches. Late spring is more telltale IMO. Hamel's history affords him a bit more slack than Nick or Cheech
We shall see. After the way his season ended last year I would like to see a little more from him at this point in the spring.