• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

official French Open thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider Halep losing in a major to be an upset.

No weapons. She moves well. That's about it. Fine for smaller tournaments that the star players don't care about as much, but she'll need a miraculous draw to ever win a major.

Lucic is no slouch and seems to have Haleps number in the past.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucic is no slouch and seems to have Haleps number in the past.

Exactly my point. Lucic is a good player, but nothing near top 10 quality. It's not an upset for Halep to lose to her at any tournament, and much less of an upset at a major, IMO.

Halep has exactly 2 wins over top 10 opponents at majors. Ever.

I'm not trashing her. Just stating facts. I admire her for maximizing her abilities, actually.

Fiero425

JayCium
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly my point. Lucic is a good player, but nothing near top 10 quality. It's not an upset for Halep to lose to her at any tournament, and much less of an upset at a major, IMO.

Halep has exactly 2 wins over top 10 opponents at majors. Ever.

I'm not trashing her. Just stating facts. I admire her for maximizing her abilities, actually.

Halep was one of the most anonymous and weak #2's ever and it's finally sinking in why she's not as highly regarded as her ranking or talent portend! I saw her against Jelena back here in the States and she was very lucky to pull that final out! Looks as if Halep will be a consistent and steady top player, but like Aza, Maria, and a few others, she'll find a way to lose matches; esp. against the Williams'! :noidea: :nono: :rolleyes2:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... Looks as if Halep will be a consistent and steady top player, but like Aza, Maria, and a few others, she'll find a way to lose matches;
At majors, she gets eliminated by lesser players than that, actually.

2 wins against top 10 opponents at majors in her career, as I said. One was Li Na when she was injured way back in 2011, and the other was against Janovic at the Aussie Open last year.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we got 2 men in the 3rd round....shock to see Isner gone but hey if one of the 2 is able to make it to week 2, I would consider the French a success for our men

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay is very bad news for Isner. Tree-like players in general just don't do well at the French, historically. The furthest he's ever made it is the 4th round, and that was only once.

I was VERY happy to see that Sock made it through another round, and against a real dirtballer this time. Again, that forehand of his becomes even more tremendous on clay since it just explodes off the court.

Borna Coric is a very exciting young kid, too. He's going to win majors. First young gun I've felt really comfortable predicting that for since Djokovic many, many years ago.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay is very bad news for Isner. Tree-like players in general just don't do well at the French, historically. The furthest he's ever made it is the 4th round, and that was only once.

I was VERY happy to see that Sock made it through another round, and against a real dirtballer this time. Again, that forehand of his becomes even more tremendous on clay since it just explodes off the court.

Borna Coric is a very exciting young kid, too. He's going to win majors. First young gun I've felt really comfortable predicting that for since Djokovic many, many years ago.

He had a solid clay court season before the French so I was thinking he would make the 3rd round or possibly 4th round (did not look at his draw to see who he would face. Just looked at Isner's draw so he would have been gone for sure by round 4 even if he won today....possibly round 3

If Sock wins his 3rd round match, he is likely looking at a round 4 match with the King of Clay

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a solid clay court season before the French so I was thinking he would make the 3rd round or possibly 4th round (did not look at his draw to see who he would face. Just looked at Isner's draw so he would have been gone for sure by round 4 even if he won today....possibly round 3

If Sock wins his 3rd round match, he is likely looking at a round 4 match with the King of Clay
yeah, 3 of 5 is different from 2 of 3 when it comes to red clay. the grind of each and every point is too much for the giants to handle for that long.

as for sock, if he can control points with his forehand, i'd like his chances to take a set off rafa, maybe. long way to go before even thinking of that, though.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venus needs to play doubles only at this point. She does not have enough staying power for singles anymore.

Even in doubles she is long gone. She is mentally and physically exhausted and it is very painful to see this great player reduced to a shell of her former self.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in doubles she is long gone. She is mentally and physically exhausted and it is very painful to see this great player reduced to a shell of her former self.

I think if she adjusts her schedule she could still win some doubles crowns. She might not be consistent but I think she would still be more than competitive the majority of the time.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sock versus Coric. Battle of the young guns. One of them will face Nadal (most likely Nadal wins his match).

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if she adjusts her schedule she could still win some doubles crowns. She might not be consistent but I think she would still be more than competitive the majority of the time.

I believe that the disease coupled with her age is having a pronounced effect on her especially mentally and physically than she is making it known. Her unforced errors is way up and the last doubles she played with Serena was really telling.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the disease coupled with her age is having a pronounced effect on her especially mentally and physically than she is making it known. Her unforced errors are way up than even before and the last doubles she played with Serena was really telling.

It starts with the serve which has completely deserted her. It is the reason they have not won the doubles since 2012.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sock versus Coric. Battle of the young guns. One of them will face Nadal (most likely Nadal wins his match).

Sock wins easily. American hopes are rising. Maybe this will be the confidence boost he needs for the future. How phyched would everyone be if he beats Nadal?

Cilic is starting to look very good again. He could make a run.

Unfortunately, 2 more American women are out. Keys got beat in a match she was expected to win. Falconi got blasted and was overwhelmed.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sock wins easily. American hopes are rising. Maybe this will be the confidence boost he needs for the future. How phyched would everyone be if he beats Nadal?

Cilic is starting to look very good again. He could make a run.

Unfortunately, 2 more American women are out. Keys got beat in a match she was expected to win. Falconi got blasted and was overwhelmed.

I think Sock takes a set from Rafa.

I think Serena loses while sloane ranger advances.

How old is sock?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sock takes a set from Rafa.

I think Serena loses while sloane ranger advances.

How old is sock?

Jack is 22 now. Hopefully he takes at least 2 sets. 3 would be better though.:thumb:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack is 22 now. Hopefully he takes at least 2 sets. 3 would be better though.:thumb:

He got time to be a top 10 player. Hope he keeps this up and is in the top 30 at least by the time of the open

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Azarenka dominating.

I like Vika's chances. Serena is not moving well and her legendary serve is not clicking. I am happy for Vika since she is more confident now with Serena's former hitting partner in her corner. It is all good.