• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive PI calls, Gronk, and collective head shaking.

What are your thoughts?

• The league seems to be singling out the patriots for pushoffs, legit or not. The metrics support it.

• The league is not singling out anybody. You suck, Rock.

• Vote here and receive one helping of free potato salad.

Results are only viewable after voting.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the OPI is pretty clear cut. Gronk definitely extends his arm and pushes off. If Pats fans want to argue a call I think they have a better case on the holding penalty that brought the long pass back. Even that one is borderline though and could have been called or not called. They happened to call it. It happens trust me. Penalties late in the game killed Seattle against both Arizona and Carolina this year. It is what it is.

No he didn't clearly extend his arms. That's the point and that's why people here and in the press are complaining.

If the DB is about to hit (legally) doing something like bracing to absorb the hit so you break free afterwards is legit.

When they showed Gronk clearly extending his arms. Few complained.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but every team does this regardless of who they are playing. It's not new and I'm sure Belichik does it too.

The idea that coaches won't complain needlessly in order to get some edge is of course poppycock.

They will complain whether it has merit or not because it might help them get a call.

Why the hell was Mike Tomlim complaining about headsets? Did he really think the Patriots were going to be penalized again or was he just looking for a potential edge.

(OR just mindlessly venting over the loss <==)

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he didn't clearly extend his arms. That's the point and that's why people here and in the press are complaining.

If the DB is about to hit (legally) doing something like bracing to absorb the hit so you break free afterwards is legit.

When they showed Gronk clearly extending his arms. Few complained.
Look again. His arm is about as extended as it can get and look at the defenders feet, he actually gets pushed backwards because of it.
NGkbuW7.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 200,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This the thread where I get to wave my dick?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help Gronks case that he gets called for this penalty a lot. Opposing coaches don't really even need to alert officials about it anymore. Plus then he gets quoted in an article basically telling the league to stuff it because "he ain't changin'".

Despite compiling a team-high seven penalties this season, the Patriots' tight end balked at the suggestion of altering his game to accommodate the officials.

"I ain't doing anything wrong," Gronkowski said Thursday. "I'm playing football. I ain't changing my style."

Gronkowski has been flagged for offensive pass interference a league-leading four times through nine games, accounting for 39 yards, according to NFLPenalties.com. No other player has been penalized more than twice for the infraction.

"I'm not sure what it is," Gronkowski said. "I'm just going to keep playing how I've been playing, how I go out in practice and try and transition it to the games."

Right or wrong I'm sure when the officials read that it touches a nerve.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look again. His arm is about as extended as it can get and look at the defenders feet, he actually gets pushed backwards because of it.
View attachment 58913

Sport GIF's & Videos: Rob Gronkowski called for offensive pass interference. New England Patriots vs Denver Broncos 11-29-15.

Here's another clip of the play.

That was after Gronk had already separated and trying to escape the grasp of the player.

Yeah the defensive player threw up his arms in surprise... (i.e. a flop)

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 58913
youre also missing the hands to the face that wasnt called.

watch the CB's hands at the start.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
youre also missing the hands to the face that wasnt called.

watch the CB's hands at the start.

Well now you are moving on to something else. Maybe he did have hands to the face, but Gronk definitely pushed off. If you dissect every play you will find penalties the officials either missed or let go on all the time.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronk has become known for pushoffs. Now they look for it.

Gronk can continuing play the way he has been playing but clearly the league is saying that they don't approve.

You extend your arms on a sharp cross and you are going to get called a lot. Plain and simple.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of the 6 PI calls on gronk, 2-3 are legit. the others are beyond insane.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DB isnt supposed to mug him from the line.
One post it's "hand fighting," the next poor Gronk is being "mugged." Next time Rock describes the play it will attempted murder.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how did he "separate"? I think that is the key to this penalty. He pushes off.

He braced his shoulders when the defensive play made contact and cut right. Did he extend his arms at that point? I think not. The arm was trailing as he cut right and was already on his way. The defensive players arms were just as extended... i.e. "Flop" by the defensive player,

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One post it's "hand fighting," the next poor Gronk is being "mugged." Next time Rock describes the play it will attempted murder.
hand fighting is mugging, if its a DB.