• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive PI calls, Gronk, and collective head shaking.

What are your thoughts?

• The league seems to be singling out the patriots for pushoffs, legit or not. The metrics support it.

• The league is not singling out anybody. You suck, Rock.

• Vote here and receive one helping of free potato salad.

Results are only viewable after voting.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I suppose if you want serious discussion, the rules have become so complicated, that they're asking the officials to do an impossible job.

It was simple in the old days. You could mug the receiver all the way down the field as long as the ball wasn't in the air. If the ball was in the air, you couldn't touch him. Simple to call.

Today they have to worry about whether the receiver is within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Contact is obviously allowed beyond that, but how much? Pick plays. Pushing off. Are the blockers making contact before the catch on screens? (they usually do, but it isn't called)

No win, thankless job.

I agree. Thankless and no one cares when they get it right though.

I think they've done it to themselves though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the refs have been pretty bad this year and they are now more of a negative influence on the game than ever before.

I think there is a fair amount of confirmation bias going on in the belief that referees are notably worse these days than in the past. We just remember recent events better than past events and have more observable evidence today than in the past.

I also think they created a situation where refs feel compelled to over-react and that's how we go to where we are today.

I think fans have lowered their tolerance level for error.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
once the officials dictate the outcome of a game instead of the players, you know youre in trouble.

Dictate would suggest that they want a specific outcome.

If the NFL wants the Patriots to fail they have done a really really really bad job making that happen.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dictate would suggest that they want a specific outcome.

If the NFL wants the Patriots to fail they have done a really really really bad job making that happen.
where did i say "the patriots' in that quote?

its a league wide issue.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a fair amount of confirmation bias going on in the belief that referees are notably worse these days than in the past. We just remember recent events better than past events and have more observable evidence today than in the past.

I think fans have lowered their tolerance level for error.

It's also the commentators and the slow motion video that allows everyone to view the game in slow motion.

The commentators love to fret and question every play to keep things interesting.

In the good old days it was harder to confirm bad calls.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS.. He is being singled out. Whether he's pushing off more than other receivers is not the issue is it? In fact it's just as likely he not the only one that does it but if someone like Jim "crappy pants" Haurbach complains it's ok.

It's not that these players may be cheating just that coaches think they are. Paragons of virtue that they are.

I think some of the calls were legitimate but some have been suspect.
You are just another whining Patriots fan that can't handle a defeat and need someone to blame. Pats fans have been spoiled by their team's success.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where did i say "the patriots' in that quote?

its a league wide issue.

When you use the word "dictate" that implies that the refs are intentionally trying to achieve a specific outcome in the game. Given your general whinging about how unfair the refs are to the Patriots, that is a logical conclusion.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also the commentators and the slow motion video that allows everyone to view the game in slow motion.

The commentators love to fret and question every play to keep things interesting.

In the good old days it was harder to confirm bad calls.

Oh good point. The high res super slow mo cameras definitely cause people to complain about the refs more than ever.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are just another whining Patriots fan that can't handle a defeat and need someone to blame. Pats fans have been spoiled by their team's success.

It's been bothering me for while actually even when the Patriots have been winning.

I think a loss was inevitable given that the Patriots have been very close the previous 2 weeks. A little galling for the Broncos game since I thought we had done it and were going to win.. But it is football.

We are spoiled though. :)

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you use the word "dictate" that implies that the refs are intentionally trying to achieve a specific outcome in the game. Given your general whinging about how unfair the refs are to the Patriots, that is a logical conclusion.
yes. dictate.

bad officiating can dictate a specific outcome of a game without direction.

it implies nothing, maybe just to you.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady was beaten by a QB who was being booed by his own fans.

Brady was beaten by a QB making his second career start.

Pats fans always say that when it gets cold and snows, Brady always has the edge because he is a 'better cold weather player'. But he lost the cold weather edge to a punk ass kid.

Brady played the better game and lost. Next time, I like Brady's chances.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, allow me to correct myself:

Everyone from the north eastern part of the United States thinks that Gronk is being targeted, therefore he is definitely being targeted.

The sun revolves around Foxborough.

You knew that, right?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady was beaten by a QB who was being booed by his own fans.

Brady was beaten by a QB making his second career start.

Pats fans always say that when it gets cold and snows, Brady always has the edge because he is a 'better cold weather player'. But he lost the cold weather edge to a punk ass kid.

Post. Of. The. Mutherfuckin. Month!!! :10:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I'm talking about when it was called gamesmanship. Pretty much before instant replay. or at least before it HD instant replay.
It's called cheating.